ADVERTISEMENT

WVU's Next Move: ACC or Big Ten?

The Big 12 is set to collapse, so West Virginia needs to get ahead of the game and find a new home.

In 2020, the Big Ten made $768.9 million according to USA Today. That was the most revenue generated by a Power Five conference ahead of the SEC ($728.9 million), PAC-12 ($533.8 million), ACC ($496.7 million), and Big 12 ($409.2 million).

Whether it's the ACC or the Big Ten, we should naturally see an improvement in WVU's recruiting classes. It makes it much easier to sell a brand that is playing games both home and away in the region you are recruiting than it is playing in a league that's in a completely different time zone.
When did you get the invite? Lol

Reactions: jmitch61
You can post the same bullsh!t 1,000 times, but it will still be bullsh!t, "Stillers" fan. Few people in Columbus care about WVU, and even fewer have any reason to dislike the Mountaineers.

Then let’s make a bet that proves you are completely full of shit and have zero idea what you are talking about.

The bet? WVU will not be invited to the Big 10. There are about 3 years left before the GOR is up. That is plenty of time to show me up.

I have $1000 burning a hole in my pocket. Can you say the same dipshit?

“As long as Ohio State is a member of the Big Ten, WVU will never become a member.“

• Haha
Reactions: WVUFanForever
Folks...a lot of you are acting like WVU is driving the bus and making the decision. We're not. Just trying to buy a ticket. Any P5 will be terrific.
This guy gets it. ACC has to be all over Texas right now for one more push. Possibly Oklahoma too. We wouldn’t just walk into the SEC like we think we are walking into ACC.

Plus whats stopping the ACC from going after Ok St and Notre Dame or Kansas?

Any P5 would be grateful

Reactions: Rootmaster
Then let’s make a bet that proves you are completely full of shit and have zero idea what you are talking about.

The bet? WVU will not be invited to the Big 10. There are about 3 years left before the GOR is up. That is plenty of time to show me up.

“As long as Ohio State is a member of the Big Ten, WVU will never become a member.“
Its amazing that we have all these new people on the free board and NONE of them like greg, queen or turdboy....

They are just proving my point for the last 12 months.....thank you newcomers.

This guy gets it. ACC has to be all over Texas right now for one more push. Possibly Oklahoma too. We wouldn’t just walk into the SEC like we think we are walking into ACC.

Any P5 would be grateful

UT and OU are a done deal for the SEC. I agree that we should be grateful to get into the ACC.

Re. Kansas, since the ACC already has plenty of basketball schools and since football (weak at Kansas) is more and more the money driver and since Kansas is far away from ACC-land, I think we get the nod over them.

Re. OSU, since they're so far away and since they may have the options for Pac-12 conference status, and since the Pac is mediocre in the money sport of football, I think we get the mode over them too.

So I think we get the nod into the ACC over Kansas and OSU. But the question is whether that's enough to get in at all. IMO the ACC is going to sit tight for awhile and see what happens and frankly sees if they can do better than WVU and then eventually if they can't, then they'll invite WVU.

The B1G offer will never come so we will be waiting for a long time on that 1. I also don't think an ACC offer will come unless it involves ND also. Fat chance in ND ever joining a conference.

Its amazing that we have all these new people on the free board and NONE of them like greg, queen or turdboy....

They are just proving my point for the last 12 months.....thank you newcomers.

Not a newcomer, but thanks. Really hasn't been anything worth discussing for quite a while.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
The B1G offer will never come so we will be waiting for a long time on that 1. I also don't think an ACC offer will come unless it involves ND also. Fat chance in ND ever joining a conference.

Agreed on B10. The ACC is a target now and should be proactive in building and renegotiating their GOR before Clemson gets wondering eyes.

Agreed on B10. The ACC is a target now and should be proactive in building and renegotiating their GOR before Clemson gets wondering eyes.
Not withstanding a miracle, WVU won't be in the B1G, but personally I think longterm it would be the best fit for them. Not being an AAU is probably the biggest thing that will keep them out. That, and being a small population state. Of course, if chaos were to take place over the coming years, maybe the current reasons will go out the door.

Reactions: mountaineermaniac34
Not withstanding a miracle, WVU won't be in the B1G, but personally I think longterm it would be the best fit for them. Not being an AAU is probably the biggest thing that will keep them out. That, and being a small population state. Of course, if chaos were to take place over the coming years, maybe the current reasons will go out the door.
Posting at 5:14 a.m.?

LMAO

Listen to the fans? There are just as many fans that rather go to the Big10. And the fans that say can drive to away games in the acc are fans that are already living in the carolinas and georgie
Only problem is ACC is best shot. Big 10 will a quick and painless no. ACC will make us linger a long time before saying yes or no. It's not a lock we get in.

Any P5 would be grateful
I would prefer we go and not the 2 clown shoe teams.

Sorry to the other posters who are attempting to talk football/expansion. WVUFF is a douchebag who brings nothing to the table, other than constant chiming into any post I happen to make. I'll stop posting for a few hours, so that he'll stop disrupting quality content.

UCF fan here. Personally ACC is a great fit for you. Back when you left the Big East they should have took you over Boston College. Miami and WVU playing again would be good (good rivalry back in the day). I wish UCF could join the ACC but FSU and Miami will block that at all cost. For us I see the American taking BIG12 teams once reality sets in. ESPN just pulled a power move with the SEC and basically drowned the BIG12 and its Fox deal. AAC has a 10 year ESPN deal. Sadly ESPN runs everything.

Reactions: Euell
Sorry to the other posters who are attempting to talk football/expansion. WVUFF is a douchebag who brings nothing to the table, other than constant chiming into any post I happen to make. I'll stop posting for a few hours, so that he'll stop disrupting quality content.
You should apologize for you being here, derailing threads and providing no content...you aren't even a WVU fan....so why are you here?

Why don't you tell the newbies your fondness of mega threads and like ratios there mr. quality content....what a hypocrite you are.

MAKE it a few years....then come back....you won't be missed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redneck&Proud
I see the few derailing posts were enough to make everybody leave. Sad, but that's what happens when a douchebag hijacks threads.

Hopefully, tGGJ shows up, and adds top notch content, and when that happens, more people show up to discuss football/expansion/recruiting.

The ACC needs to renegotiate their contracts with ESPN to get more revenues and keep members happy. They do that by expansion which opens their compensation clause.

While we see alot of misinformation spread, clearly one of the most important factors towards value is what your tv viewership has been.

2020 is a bit of an anomaly (WVU would have been 6th), but if you look at 2019 and 2018 numbers:

in a 5-5 year, WVU had 13.27 million viewers

How did that compare with the rest of the ACC?

WVU would have been 4th in tv ratings behind Clemson 76.73 million, Virginia 17.84 million and Miami 14.83 million. (WVU was ahead of all other ACC teams--including the next highest Louisville at 12.28 million on the year.

In 2018

WVU would have had the 2nd most viewers of all ACC members with 27.183 million viewers

In the ACC only Clemson was higher with 74.633 million viewers while FSU had 22.979 million.

Clearly WVU would have a positive effect on ACC tv rights if the conference were to add WVU.

You're moving the goalposts because I called you out for lying. You first posted that Ohio State would block WVU from entering the B1G, and were 100% wrong. Now, you want to bet on the B1G not inviting WVU into its conference. There are snobby academicians in the B1G (see the Presidents of Northwestern and Michigan, for example), who probably would vote against WVU, so nobody is predicting that WVU will receive the invitation, but blaming Ohio State for WVU's not being invited to the B1G proves that your IQ is sub-80...typical for a Stillers' fan, by the way.

So you are trying to insult someone for waking up early in the morning?

I was up at 4 this morning....i guess im a loser?
Pay no attention to Piccolo Pete. He posts at all hours of the night and morning, including on weekends, and wants others to believe that he and the 30+ handles used by TrollVanZandt aren't the only losers who have no social life. They're the Jeffrey Dahmers of the message board community, if you will.

Penn State fan here and I could see the BIG looking at WVU and here is why.

1. WVU fits geographically and has a very devoted fan base. Hell I live in NC and see a lot of silver WV stickers on cars down here so there will be TV sets involved WVU just doesnt cover WVU but also SWPA, Western Maryland, Eastern VA ect.

2. WVU can offer the BIG multiple quality sports teams. The BIG loves football but it also loves basketball and Wrestling as well. WVU is more than solid in those sports plus would it be hard for WVU to get a hockey team??

3. WVU is the flagship University of the State. It is a Big state school and that pretty much is what the BIG is made up of. Some people say the BIG will go after Kansas because of basketball , I am not so sure because the rest of their sports are awful and brings nothing to the table. WVU will have a full stadium or arena when BIG schools comes to town Kansas will not. WVU is a much more stable grab than say Kansas or Iowa State. Plus I say there are better rivalries in the BIG for WVU. PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State, would all have great crowds. Imagine the WVU vs Michigan game call it the Rich Rod bowl Winner gets a ton of Peperoni rolls

Last edited:
Penn State fan here and I could see the BIG looking at WVU and here is why.

1. WVU fits geographically and has a very devoted fan base. Hell I live in NC and see a lot of silver WV stickers on cars down here so there will be TV sets involved WVU just doesnt cover WVU but also SWPA, Western Maryland, Eastern VA ect.

2. WVU can offer the BIG multiple quality sports teams. The BIG loves football but it also loves basketball and Wrestling as well. WVU is more than solid in those sports plus would it be hard for WVU to get a hockey team??

3. WVU is the flagship University of the State. It is a Big state school and that pretty much is what the BIG is made up of. Some people say the BIG will go after Kansas because of basketball , I am not so sure because the rest of their sports are awful and brings nothing to the table. WVU will have a full stadium or arena when BIG schools comes to town Kansas will not. WVU is a much more stable grab than say Kansas or Iowa State. Plus I say
Outside of maybe Oklahoma State and a large chunk of the PAC 12, WVU is probably the best option, just from an overall athletics standpoint. WVU does have a club hockey team now, and could probably transition to a regular team, but would be tough on them starting out, due to the really good teams that currently play B1G hockey. WVU also has soccer, and would probably hold their own in the B1G, as Indiana is the top dog there.

I'm still not convinced we're going to see a lot of movement, but WVU and Oklahoma State would be the best to add, merely from an athletics standpoint. Of course, the B1G will invite probably Kansas, and maybe even Iowa State, just to satisfy the liberal academia side.

Outside of maybe Oklahoma State and a large chunk of the PAC 12, WVU is probably the best option, just from an overall athletics standpoint. WVU does have a club hockey team now, and could probably transition to a regular team, but would be tough on them starting out, due to the really good teams that currently play B1G hockey. WVU also has soccer, and would probably hold their own in the B1G, as Indiana is the top dog there.

I'm still not convinced we're going to see a lot of movement, but WVU and Oklahoma State would be the best to add, merely from an athletics standpoint. Of course, the B1G will invite probably Kansas, and maybe even Iowa State, just to satisfy the liberal academia side.
Perhaps but lets be honest WVU and OKst could bring in more $$$$$$ than Kansas and Iowa St. And as academic as the BIG is they like $$$$$$ more

You're moving the goalposts because I called you out for lying. You first posted that Ohio State would block WVU from entering the B1G, and were 100% wrong. Now, you want to bet on the B1G not inviting WVU into its conference. There are snobby academicians in the B1G (see the Presidents of Northwestern and Michigan, for example), who probably would vote against WVU, so nobody is predicting that WVU will receive the invitation, but blaming Ohio State for WVU's not being invited to the B1G proves that your IQ is sub-80...typical for a Stillers' fan, by the way.

Translation: I'm backpedaling like a sombitch.

I'm saying OSU will never allow WVU in. I called you out with a simple bet and you are changing the argument.

If OSU (the bell cow for the B10) wanted WVU in, they would be in. Especially if the SEC is recruiting them. The B10 without OSU is significantly worse than the ACC.

Why isn't this happening? I'll repeat this since your head is as thick as a brick....

Last edited:
Translation: I'm backpedaling like a sombitch.

Im Saying OSU will never allow WVU in. I called you out with a simple bet and you are changing the argument.

If OSU (the bell cow for the B10) wanted WVU in, they would be in. Especially if the SEC is recruiting them. The B10 without OSU is significantly worse than the ACC.

Why isn't this happening?
Yes, you're right, you are backpedaling. That's EXACTLY what you're doing. You severely overestimate Ohio State's power. Last year's football season never would have been delayed until October, if Ohio State, Nebraska and Iowa had been in control of the conference. You also overestimate WVU's importance to tOSU. Ohio State doesn't care enough about WVU to block them from joining the B1G. You're delusional.

Yes, you're right, you are backpedaling. That's EXACTLY what you're doing. You severely overestimate Ohio State's power. Last year's football season never would have been delayed until October, if Ohio State, Nebraska and Iowa had been in control of the conference. You also overestimate WVU's importance to tOSU. Ohio State doesn't care enough about WVU to block them from joining the B1G. You're delusional.

Take the bet or STFU you pansy.

Sorry but I can't make you a man. You obviously are choosing to backpedal and change the argument.

No one here is buying it you fat fvcking blowhard.
The Stillers suck. Get ready for the previously hapless Browns to prison rape y'all twice this season. Maybe, y'all will eek out a win or two against the Bengals, if Burrow doesn't play.

The Stillers suck. Get ready for the previously hapless Browns to prison rape y'all twice this season. Maybe, y'all will eek out a win or two against the Bengals, if Burrow doesn't play.

How do you say, "I am abandoning any respectability I ever had on this board" without saying "I am abandoning any respectability I ever had on this board"? 👆

Just take the bet you coward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT