ADVERTISEMENT

WV teacher strke

You don’t understand how the system is being run here in wv so talk to Someone in the education system before you say uninformed nonsense
You mean like my mother who retired from the WV school system 3 years ago? Or my best friend’s father who has been a Superintendent in 4 counties. Someone like that you mean? Refute my points with actual data and not emotional drivel or shut the fvck up.
it’s a shitty system chief , your retired mother isn’t getting the shaft this year and I give no ****s about your buddy’s pappy that gets paid a very good salary and let’s go mountaineers it’s tournament time

I can tell you the work required for 200 days of employ outweighs that of most year long jobs. Most teachers take work home, spend extra hours coaching/leading clubs, attend dances and sporting events without pay, etc. Any argument involving the summers off is invalid from the get go..

You made too many points... some valid while some not so much...for me to reply to all of them in a single post. Like your students you want to keep everybody’s attention...right?

If you have not worked ‘most year long jobs’ how could you possibly know that you do more in 200 hundred days than all those professions do in an entire year? You can’t... ...but I can tell you at the peak (working my way up because I was always being evaluated) of my career I easily put in 60-70 hours a week on the clock and MANY more hours off the clock so I made those hours on the clock ‘look’ easy.

Making those type of arguments really turn off the people that teachers need in their corner....voters.

On the other hand, perhaps the cost of living isn’t the 47th lowest in the country and proportionally the teachers are taking it up the poop shoot while working in WV. And maybe it isn’t a matter of what they deserve but more a matter of what the market will bear. The good ones will cross the state lines to make a better salary where they can, and then WV will be stuck with only those that can’t or won’t do anything else.
WV would be 9th (so, pretty close) according to the oracle.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/opportunity/affordability

Define “deserve” and when you do that, please include the measurable performance indices that were used to calculate the proper quantity of “deserve”.

I mean, understand, the ambiguity of such a thing could lead someone to respond with pointing out a ranking of 47th nationally in an extremely low cost of living area commands less “deserve” than you believe it does.
you are talking to a guy who thinks teachers deserve twice as much money.. They are only responsible for educating our youth who are the future of our country. of coutse we need a grading system to weed out the bad ones.

I am a teacher. I taught in WV for 11 years and moved to SC where I’ve been teaching for over 2. I didn’t move for the money because frankly it’s not much more here (if any). I can tell you the work required for 200 days of employ outweighs that of most year long jobs. Most teachers take work home, spend extra hours coaching/leading clubs, attend dances and sporting events without pay, etc. Any argument involving the summers off is invalid from the get go.

As far as the pay, the fact is it sucks everywhere. WV cost of living is significantly lower than most states, so it makes sense they don’t get paid in the top half. But a single person right out of college with a child shouldn’t have to qualify for food stamps AND get a job in their chosen field. It just shouldn’t be that way.

Now the PEIA thing is where I differ with my former colleagues. The premiums I was paying were next to nothing in comparison to private health care. They are attempting to raise them significantly from what I hear, and that sucks, but it’s still far lower than what they will get if PEIA folds and they have to venture into the private market. I’m of the firm opinion that they’ve been promised 5%, and as soon as the legislature follows through on the promise they should go back to work.

Oh, and for anyone wanting to argue using the “stats” of how WV kids perform on standardized tests, let me save your time and energy. There are no consequences or incentives whatsoever for students to try on those tests in WV. Other states such as SC use the ACT and foot the bill so that every high school student gets the test paid for and essentially has a shot at college for free. The school systems and rigor here are far lower than they were in WV but you can be darn sure the results from their tests are greater. Make it mean something and watch your kids rise to the occasion.
Two questions for you. Why is any argument about getting summers off invalid from the get go? And why would a single person write/right out of college have a child....to therefore qualify for food stamps?

Reactions: mdeer1
it’s a shitty system chief , your retired mother isn’t getting the shaft this year and I give no ****s about your buddy’s pappy that gets paid a very good salary and let’s go mountaineers it’s tournament time
Oh, I think the part you left off was: “My bad, dude, I didn’t realize you actually did have insight into the issue and we just have a philosophical disagreement towards an approach on fixing it. I was talking out of my ass when I accused you of not being informed. Sorry, bro.”

A system you chose to go into or were forced into? You willing to sign up for performance metrics at the individual, local, or county level, open to a voucher system, charter schools, or how about a commitment to improvement in metrics of your product with SnapBack provisions on your salary demands if you and your collective fail at improving? As a taxpayer, I truly don’t care what you make if you’re succeeding, I’d agree to 20% or champion your cause. You aren’t, you all are failing, so I don’t.

But wait, it sounds like you’re just talking about your personal needs. I thought it was what the kids needed, to attract and retain better teachers. Fix the system. How about posting better results and then damanding tax dollars, ya smug fvck?

you are talking to a guy who thinks teachers deserve twice as much money.. They are only responsible for educating our youth who are the future of our country. of coutse we need a grading system to weed out the bad ones.
I’m actually in the camp of pay them more if they can prove they deserve it through quantifiable performance. I’m not kidding, I’d go to 20% for a shithot STEM teacher.

My WVU educated sister teaches in Pittsburgh exactly because of the pay differential A data point of one

Plus...free tickets to college football games.

That’s like saving a dollar on ‘buck night’.

I’m actually in the camp of pay them more if they can prove they deserve it through quantifiable performance. I’m not kidding, I’d go to 20% for a shithot STEM teacher.
I would consider 50% for a shithot STEM teacher. I could see $70k for someone teaching calculus/physics/chemistry or similar with a few years of experience.

of coutse we need a grading system to weed out the bad ones.

I’m not kidding, I’d go to 20% for a shithot STEM teacher.

af98c-this.gif

Reactions: mountainheel
So a pay rate that came in at 41st or 42nd would be appropriate for the CENTRAL part of the state. Those counties on the borders and in the panhandles have a different market.
As pointed out earlier, there are other indices to consider, student teacher ratios (think I saw we’re 27th?) but no argument about the panhandle. Blame the union for peanut butter spreading the approach. If I was up there, I’d demand more than what Mingo county is getting, for sure.

I would consider 50% for a shithot STEM teacher. I could see $70k for someone teaching calculus/physics/chemistry or similar with a few years of experience.
For sure. And if they were arguing this logically, and willing to put some skin in the game I’d take vacation and go down there with them. They don’t even realize it’s the damn union that limits or outright inhibits their ability to fundamentally transform their situation into something that could be equitable and incentive driven.

Reactions: Orlaco and The Elf
Two questions for you. Why is any argument about getting summers off invalid from the get go? And why would a single person write/right out of college have a child....to therefore qualify for food stamps?
This one always gets me .

You made too many points... some valid while some not so much...for me to reply to all of them in a single post. Like your students you want to keep everybody’s attention...right?

If you have not worked ‘most year long jobs’ how could you possibly know that you do more in 200 hundred days than all those professions do in an entire year? You can’t... ...but I can tell you at the peak (working my way up because I was always being evaluated) of my career I easily put in 60-70 hours a week on the clock and MANY more hours off the clock so I made those hours on the clock ‘look’ easy.

Making those type of arguments really turn off the people that teachers need in their corner....voters.
Congrats on your hard work. Maybe you don’t fall into that category, but I considering everyone I know isn’t a teacher, I can safely say many of them aren’t bringing their work home with them or being required to put in several extra hours per evening without compensation. Notice I did say most, not all. I’m not naive enough to think folks don’t work hard, but you shouldn’t be either to think teachers are just lounging around in their spare time.

As pointed out earlier, there are other indices to consider, student teacher ratios (think I saw we’re 27th?) but no argument about the panhandle. Blame the union for peanut butter spreading the approach. If I was up there, I’d demand more than what Mingo county is getting, for sure.

I think most teachers worth their salt would accept those performance parameters that you mention, provided they had the backing of the parents, school administration, and the school board, that the kids would also be held accountable to do the best that they can. Those that refuse to do anything, or even come to school, should get the boot.

To your second question, a WV teacher right (I spelled it correctly) out of college with a child makes a low enough wage to qualify for government help. My point is if a person goes to a 4 year university and immediately gets a job in their intended field they should make enough money to not require government support.

To the first question, as I said earlier, many teachers are grading papers, attending sporting events, chaperoning dances and field trips, holding parent-teacher conferences, etc all outside of their “normal” duties. A 200 work day year isn’t just 8 hours per day, clock in/clock out type work. It doesn’t mean there aren’t others out there working just as much or more, it’s just not as simple as “I work 250 days and they only work 200”.

Shit, I’d pay a PE teacher more than an English literature teacher with a masters. At least the PE teacher was smart enough not to get a masters degree in a field that thinks Capote is a genius. Use your heads people.

Funny thing is that what you earn extra with a masters degree is a negative return on dollars spent to get it. Dumb libs

Reactions: Orlaco
I’m not naive enough to think folks don’t work hard, but you shouldn’t be either to think teachers are just lounging around in their spare time.

Actually I’ve been trying be very clear in regard to my opinion that many teachers are lounging around during work hours. Since I’ve watched them ‘at work’ it’s not like I’m just making an assumption.

I’ll seriously consider your thoughts about teachers never lounging around in their spare time. No holes to be poked in that claim.

To your second question, a WV teacher right (I spelled it correctly) out of college with a child makes a low enough wage to qualify for government help. My point is if a person goes to a 4 year university and immediately gets a job in their intended field they should make enough money to not require government support.

To the first question, as I said earlier, many teachers are grading papers, attending sporting events, chaperoning dances and field trips, holding parent-teacher conferences, etc all outside of their “normal” duties. A 200 work day year isn’t just 8 hours per day, clock in/clock out type work. It doesn’t mean there aren’t others out there working just as much or more, it’s just not as simple as “I work 250 days and they only work 200”.
I get that but you do realize some people also do work outside of work

Reactions: Cheat Lake EER

This is where the system is truly broken. I won’t toot my own horn but I do teach math. Probably not the best out there but certainly not the worst. It’s very frustrating to continually hear of the high need in my specialization yet know I’ll never make more than the 15 PE teachers out there for every one of us STEM folks. Why doesn’t supply and demand extend into th education profession?

Actually I’ve been trying be very clear in regard to my opinion that many teachers are lounging around during work hours. Since I’ve watched them ‘at work’ it’s not like I’m just making an assumption.

I’ll seriously consider your thoughts about teachers never lounging around in their spare time. No holes to be poked in that claim.
I’m sorry the people you choose to associate with don’t take their jobs seriously. I’m very much in favor of performance reviews and the weeding out process of those who don’t belong. And just to be clear, not that it matters all that much, I never have joined or will ever join a union. I’m not in favor of equal pay for all teachers. I think those that do their jobs well and/or work in high demand areas should be paid more and I’m willing to submit to whatever kind of scrutiny would be necessary to see that come to pass. I’m not even fully in favor of what these people are doing. It’s just not as black and white as some want to make it. All teachers aren’t good, all students don’t care, and numbers are important but not everything.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
I gotta do this....

That 14 pages felt like a short read compared to your post.

It was a fine post though....
Point well taken. Allow me to summarize then.

If the legislature had not wasted so much of our money all of these years, we would not even need to deal with this issue now.

Why doesn’t supply and demand extend into th education profession?

Teacher unions?

Several here, including me, being hard in regard to teacher salaries want THE BEST TO GET PAID based on merit. The hurdle, according to unions and seemingly their membership, is there is no way to gauge a quality teacher compared to the rest of the pack.

IF YOU’RE A GREAT TEACHER I WANT YOU TO GET A GREAT SALARY!

I want to help pay that salary.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Point well taken. Allow me to summarize then.

If the legislature had not wasted so much of our money all of these years, we would not even need to deal with this issue now.

I’m going to need a longer explanation.

Come on...kinda funny...right?

Oh, and for anyone wanting to argue using the “stats” of how WV kids perform on standardized tests, let me save your time and energy. There are no consequences or incentives whatsoever for students to try on those tests in WV. Other states such as SC use the ACT and foot the bill so that every high school student gets the test paid for and essentially has a shot at college for free. The school systems and rigor here are far lower than they were in WV but you can be darn sure the results from their tests are greater. Make it mean something and watch your kids rise to the occasion.

FYI, West Virginia has the Promise Scholarship which covers most of the cost of a college education (which is more than the cost of the ACT/SAT tests) at a pubic university in WV. If that is not incentive enough then I don't know what to do but put a foot up thier ass and throw their parents in jail for poor parenting.

I believe I literally said that in the post you quoted.
I think if you get 2-3 months off that’s huge . That isn’t including holidays and spring break. I’m sorry but that is a difference .

Teacher unions?

Several here, including me, being hard in regard to teacher salaries want THE BEST TO GET PAID based on merit. The hurdle, according to unions and seemingly their membership, is there is no way to gauge a quality teacher compared to the rest of the pack.

Unions and government and we are wondering why education and healthcare is so f'd up in this country. The sad part is that many of these people protesting are the ones who champion the bullshit that got them exactly into the situation they are in now.

Reactions: pacs life
Oh, I think the part you left off was: “My bad, dude, I didn’t realize you actually did have insight into the issue and we just have a philosophical disagreement towards an approach on fixing it. I was talking out of my ass when I accused you of not being informed. Sorry, bro.”

A system you chose to go into or were forced into? You willing to sign up for performance metrics at the individual, local, or county level, open to a voucher system, charter schools, or how about a commitment to improvement in metrics of your product with SnapBack provisions on your salary demands if you and your collective fail at improving? As a taxpayer, I truly don’t care what you make if you’re succeeding, I’d agree to 20% or champion your cause. You aren’t, you all are failing, so I don’t.

But wait, it sounds like you’re just talking about your personal needs. I thought it was what the kids needed, to attract and retain better teachers. Fix the system. How about posting better results and then damanding tax dollars, ya smug fvck?
My brother is on the board of education, sister in law is a teacher, both two time teachers of the year so I think there results are just fine... also two very intelligent girls the oldest was told she was ready for college at the age of 13 by northwestern university so I think they did fine as educators

I want a raise by my employer, but it’s the reneging on a union deal with the government about what was written and signed 30 years ago it’s not complicated they backed out and should be held accountable for it
Teacher unions?

Let me have 30 minutes with one and I can tell you if they are gold or garbage.

Reactions: Orlaco
I want a raise by my employer, but it’s the reneging on a union deal with the government about what was written and signed 30 years ago it’s not complicated they backed out and should be held accountable for it
Teacher unions?

Let me have 30 minutes with one and I can tell you if they are gold or garbage.
My teacher people are gold and I stick by that 100% they actually care and give a damn

Haha...now that was a serious knee jerk response. I know at least 14 people that teach in WV, several coaches, professors etc. i know union reps, one of the biggest union spokesman in the state. My brother is a teacher. l also know many teachers in VA and NC....but thanks for your uninformed nonsense.
I spent 12 years in the public education system, had a lot of teachers and seen a lot, I think I'm qualified to speak about what is going on. I pay my taxes, I'll say what I want.

Reactions: mountainheel
What do they do the week after the kids get out, sit around and tell there/their co-workers what there/their/they’re going to do with there/their 8/10/12 week vacation and come back at least a week before in the fall to share pictures of how it went?
Sorry; just couldn’t resist. You folks just make it to/two/too easy.
I swear that this sounds exactly like what I observed from my older sister and her fellow teacher friends in Mon County. Matter of fact, when I was in college, I rode to Ocean City with them one summer to go to the beach. Made my sister pay for everything cause I only had 5 bucks on me. Cheapest vacation I ever went on.

Seriously, that’s freakin ignorant. All teachers have to accumulate hrs towards a Masters degree. It’s the way the field is set up. Following that logic, who the hell would want to do this apparently thankless job for $46,000 a year, before paying for benefits. And seriously get over this bs about having 12 weeks off in the summer because that’s not the way it works out. The teachers usually end up staying a week after the kids get out and they go back at least a week before the kids do in the fall.
What do they do the week after the kids get out, sit around and tell there/their co-workers what there/their/they’re going to do with there/their 8/10/12 week vacation and come back at least a week before in the fall to share pictures of how it went?
Sorry; just couldn’t resist. You folks just make it to/two/too easy.
They have an option to get paid year round or not get paid in the summer so it’s not a 3 month vacation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT