ADVERTISEMENT

Will economic problems of Puerto Rico result in its statehood?

MountaineerWV

All-American
Sep 18, 2007
Our government says "NO" to a bailout. I don't disagree with that. But, will there be a deal made to bring it in as a state soon? I've always thought there would be 2 more states added in my lifetime: Puerto Rico and DC.

What's your thoughts? (I admit, I have very little knowledge about the economic situation of Puerto Rico other than seeing it on the news)

When I was in school, there were 3 roughly equal in size groups in Puerto Rico regarding statehood - about 1/3 wanted status quo, about 1/3 wanted statehood, and about 1/3 wanted to be a separate nation. No idea where that feeling lies now. I do believe there are officially more native born Puerto Ricans living on the mainland than in Puerto Rico now. Shows things have been going downhill there for a while.

Our government says "NO" to a bailout. I don't disagree with that. But, will there be a deal made to bring it in as a state soon? I've always thought there would be 2 more states added in my lifetime: Puerto Rico and DC.

What's your thoughts? (I admit, I have very little knowledge about the economic situation of Puerto Rico other than seeing it on the news)
Definitely no to DC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT