ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football at Oklahoma State

I normally am optimistic but not after today. I’m sad to say it but WVU got flat out out coached today. Never agin do I want to hear “trust the climb” or “everyone else is playing checkers and he’s playing chess”.

Oklahoma State is not that good. They honestly suck. There’s no home field advantage with 15k people there, and we were fundamentally bad. 2 weeks to prepare and Ok State had 1.

True freshman QB beat us too..............

We won 5 because of Vic. Without our defense playing as good as they did, we would've won 0 games last year.

We gave up 28.8 points per game last year.......that was 74th in nation
We gave up 400 yards per game last year........that was 75th in nation

I normally am optimistic but not after today. I’m sad to say it but WVU got flat out out coached today. Never agin do I want to hear “trust the climb” or “everyone else is playing checkers and he’s playing chess”.

Oklahoma State is not that good. They honestly suck. There’s no home field advantage with 15k people there, and we were fundamentally bad. 2 weeks to prepare and Ok State had 1.
so are trying to say you haven't been optimistic for the last 10 years?

We gave up 28.8 points per game last year.......that was 74th in nation
We gave up 400 yards per game last year........that was 75th in nation

Considering our offense was a 3 and out machine with no running game or passing game, 28 isnt bad in the Big 12. The thing is, the D made plays when we needed to keep us in games that those kind of stats dont show, and was the only bright spot on a putrid, horrible team. Our O did nothing to win 5 games last year and they look bad this year too unless its southeasten upstate kentucky tech state. Neal has 4 plays and makes no adjustments. Our 2nd half D was very good last year because Vic was a great in game planner and adjuster. Most teams put their numbrs up in the 1st half against us and the D got better as the year went on. Not so with Neal's boring O.

Considering our offense was a 3 and out machine with no running game or passing game, 28 isnt bad in the Big 12. The thing is, the D made plays when we needed to keep us in games that those kind of stats dont show, and was the only bright spot on a putrid, horrible team. Our O did nothing to win 5 games last year and they look bad this year too unless its southeasten upstate kentucky tech state. Neal has 4 plays and makes no adjustments. Our 2nd half D was very good last year because Vic was a great in game planner and adjuster. Most teams put their numbrs up in the 1st half against us and the D got better as the year went on. Not so with Neal's boring O.

Stats don't lie.......our defense was worse last year than under Gibson......that's fact. Saying Vic was our "best coach" and we win today with him is not accurate.........it's emotional.

Somebody really needs to explain to me why people consider NB to be a good head coach. I can't see it.

He's been here for 2 years and the OL still can't block anybody.

The offense can't score a lick against a average or better team.

Every week the play is so undisciplined that it turns the game into a clown show.

The recruiting is unimpressive, to say the least.

There is nothing this program does well that would make you want to watch, even if they are expected to lose. Oh, wait, we can run 2-yard crossing routes on 3rd-and-4. We do that well. I guess that's what his team will be known for.

His best win is what, over a team that went 5-4 in a mediocre Big 12 last year?

Not impressive at all. Coaches like NB are a dime a dozen. But hey, he can beat the pants off Eastern Kentucky, which is nothing more than a bad Division II team, but that's something.

So, again, explain to me why he's a good coach?

Reactions: Rootmaster
shut up Townes.
Pratt the last time wvu visited stillwater they were ranked 9th in the country and they had a 17 point lead at halftime. That Okie state team finished the season 6-6. What exactly was different for wvu today than previous games against Okie Lite? If you want to rip on Brown then fine But Dandy Dana performed no better

Stats don't lie.......our defense was worse last year than under Gibson......that's fact. Saying Vic was our "best coach" and we win today with him is not accurate.........it's emotional.

Stats dont work for me, and if you look at todays offensive stats you can clearly see why they dont work for me. They actually do lie. Just look at today for a clear example.

I dont know what team you were watching, but the D looked better last year than they did in years, and they were amazingly thin at LB and the secondary, and still got better as the year went on and always improved in the 2nd half. They are the only reason we won 5 games. I have every game and have watched them all more than once, and I cant say you watched many saying what you say. And the stats thing doesnt work to tell the real story of a football game. The offense put waaaaaay too much pressure on our D last year. It was painful to watch. Vic was clearly the best coach on our team, and I said it more than once during last football season on this board.

Pratt the last time wvu visited stillwater they were ranked 9th in the country and they had a 17 point lead at halftime. That Okie state team finished the season 6-6. What exactly was different for wvu today than previous games against Okie Lite? If you want to rip on Brown then fine But Dandy Dana performed no better

At least Dandy Dana had the 9th-ranked team om the country at the time. With HBNB we'll consider it to be a good year if we're No. 9 in the Big 12.

I'm not sure why everyone is so down. I didn't think it was that bad. Definitely better than last year and maybe better than 2018.

As I recall last year, Kendall couldn't move and then we got Doege and it was a refreshing change. Well Doege didn't move much today. And when the rush is on the flinches and just throws it. Not to put him down, I'm sure I'd flinch much worse, but when a pass rusher is coming at him you can see the panic. Also, on a few long passes he threw the ball out of bounds (by accident, not when he was throwing it away) and of course it's impossible to complete it that way.

Also, I'm not sure of the point of all those read options if the QB never keeps the ball. We need a QB that can hurt the defense with his legs now and then.

The O-line looked worse on pass plays than last year but way better on run plays. Sinkfield looked good and Leddy Brown looked really good.

We need to prevent the big plays when we're on defense and of course start making FGs.

We're starting to look like a real football team as opposed to a gimmick team that sometimes makes big splash plays but also often made dumb mistakes, like under the previous HC. That's good. Keep growing.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
Somebody really needs to explain to me why people consider NB to be a good head coach. I can't see it.

He's been here for 2 years and the OL still can't block anybody.

The offense can't score a lick against a average or better team.

Every week the play is so undisciplined that it turns the game into a clown show.

The recruiting is unimpressive, to say the least.

There is nothing this program does well that would make you want to watch, even if they are expected to lose. Oh, wait, we can run 2-yard crossing routes on 3rd-and-4. We do that well. I guess that's what his team will be known for.

His best win is what, over a team that went 5-4 in a mediocre Big 12 last year?

Not impressive at all. Coaches like NB are a dime a dozen. But hey, he can beat the pants off Eastern Kentucky, which is nothing more than a bad Division II team, but that's something.

So, again, explain to me why he's a good coach?
He hasn't proved that he is a good coach but he needs to be given a chance. There were many things to be frustrated about today but the team is running the ball better this year then they were at this time last year. Most programs like wvu go through a 2-3 year transition period until we find out if the guy is any good or not.

At least Dandy Dana had the 9th-ranked team om the country at the time. With HBNB we'll consider it to be a good year if we're No. 9 in the Big 12.
And that was 8 years into his tenure and we were still waiting for a break through. Dandy Dana's team finished that season the same way they finished the majority of seasons that year crapping out at the end and getting smoked in a bowl game. This wvu team wasn't supposes to win that team was.

Stats dont work for me, and if you look at todays offensive stats you can clearly see why they dont work for me. They actually do lie. Just look at today for a clear example.

I dont know what team you were watching, but the D looked better last year than they did in years, and they were amazingly thin at LB and the secondary, and still got better as the year went on and always improved in the 2nd half. They are the only reason we won 5 games. I have every game and have watched them all more than once, and I cant say you watched many saying what you say. And the stats thing doesnt work to tell the real story of a football game. The offense put waaaaaay too much pressure on our D last year. It was painful to watch. Vic was clearly the best coach on our team, and I said it more than once during last football season on this board.

Stats say we gave up 28.8 points per game last year. And over 400 yards...............Today, we looked no different than last year. Thus, it quashes your argument.

I'm not sure why everyone is so down. I didn't think it was that bad. Definitely better than last year and maybe better than 2018.

As I recall last year, Kendall couldn't move and then we got Doege and it was a refreshing change. Well Doege didn't move much today. And when the rush is on the flinches and just throws it. Not to put him down, I'm sure I'd flinch much worse, but when a pass rusher is coming at him you can see the panic. Also, on a few long passes he threw the ball out of bounds (by accident, not when he was throwing it away) and of course it's impossible to complete it that way.

Also, I'm not sure of the point of all those read options if the QB never keeps the ball. We need a QB that can hurt the defense with his legs now and then.

The O-line looked worse on pass plays than last year but way better on run plays. Sinkfield looked good and Leddy Brown looked really good.

We need to prevent the big plays when we're on defense and of course start making FGs.

We're starting to look like a real football team as opposed to a gimmick team that sometimes makes big splash plays but also often made dumb mistakes, like under the previous HC. That's good. Keep growing.
Today was frustrating but I think the team is better than last year. Need to improve on pass blocking for sure but run blocking is much better than at this time last season.

And that was 8 years into his tenure and we were still waiting for a break through. Dandy Dana's team finished that season the same way they finished the majority of seasons that year crapping out at the end and getting smoked in a bowl game. This wvu team wasn't supposes to win that team was.

HCNB has done nothing so far. Nothing. That's fact. We're still waiting for him to beat somebody. Just one time.

Stats say we gave up 28.8 points per game last year. And over 400 yards...............Today, we looked no different than last year. Thus, it quashes your argument.

OKST in my opinion is not a top 25 team and their offense is very weak. They suck, really. Our defense should be a lot better this year just because we are not as thin and have way more talent and experience than last year, but we will miss Vic's presence and game planning and did today big time against a terrible OKST O. He was a good one. The most proven coach we had on our team against real competition.

That being said Neal Brown may be a better HC if he went ahead and hired a good OC and stopped calling the plays himself. The jury is still out on him for sure, but as it looks now he is not very creative and not really a good play caller. Crossing routes and read option runs up the middle, which gets figured out fast. We move the ball in small chunks but fail to score TDs when it counts. But we do look improved big time especially the running game. We are not going 3 and out every series.

Our defense should be a lot better this year just because we are not as thin and have way more talent and experience than last year, but we will miss Vic's presence and game planning and did today big time against a terrible OKST O.

The most proven coach we had on our team against real competition.

1. How can you say our defense should be better this year in one breath, and then say we stink without Vic coaching?

2. Against "real competition"?

Missouri 38 points
NC State 27 Points
Kansas 24 Points
Texas 42 Points
Iowa State 38 Points
Oklahoma 52 Points
TX Tech 38 Points

HCNB has done nothing so far. Nothing. That's fact. We're still waiting for him to beat somebody. Just one time.
The guy is only 2 games into his 2nd season. He did'nt get the benefit of spring practice. He took over a program that was laking depth in critical areas. He needs to be given time to bring in his own recruits and put his own stamp on the program. His team hung in with a veteren team that is supposed to compete for the conference title. If we get to year 8 and still fail to beat 6-6 Okie state teams and are blowing 17 point halftime leads i will agree with you. Brown hasn't had a break through to date but we waited 8 years under the last guy and didn't get one either.

The guy is only 2 games into his 2nd season. He did'nt get the benefit of spring practice. He took over a program that was laking depth in critical areas. He needs to be given time to bring in his own recruits and put his own stamp on the program. His team hung in with a veteren team that is supposed to compete for the conference title. If we get to year 8 and still fail to beat 6-6 Okie state teams and are blowing 17 point halftime leads i will agree with you. Brown hasn't had a break through to date but we waited 8 years under the last guy and didn't get one either.

and Mike Leach takes over a sad Miss St team and has to deal with the Covid junk, and he beats the defending champs and #6 ranked team in his 1st year. We never even offered Leach years ago, instead Lyons was fixated on Brown and Luke Fickell (Instead of a coach like Leach who has shown he can win in the Big 12 and also field competitive teams with less talent. Lyons wanted a HC that he could control and dictate things to)

1. How can you say our defense should be better this year in one breath, and then say we stink without Vic coaching?

2. Against "real competition"?

Missouri 38 points
NC State 27 Points
Kansas 24 Points
Texas 42 Points
Iowa State 38 Points
Oklahoma 52 Points
TX Tech 38 Points

Yeah I get what you are saying but you are actually missing my point about him being the most proven coach we had lol.. We will miss Vic and his game planning and adjustments, but Vic was our most proven coach, meaning his career resume. He coached some very good defenses and improved every D he coached in his career and did it on some good teams and not just Troy. The only reason he ended up at Troy is because he failed badly when he got his 1st HC job. But as a DC, he has a great resume, hence he was our most proven coach we had on our team. And its true.

We will miss Vic's game planning ability and in game adjustments. He was a creative defensive play caller, and we missed that today and will miss that going forward. His D was the only brite spot on our pathetic team last year, and the stats dont tell the tail on last year and never do when it comes to how a real football game plays out. The O put more pressure on our D than most of us have ever seen a WVU team do in our lives, because that was one of the worst offenses we've ever had and maybe the worst running team we've had since before the Nehlen years.. It doesnt help the D when they are on the field most of the game against a slew of high powered offenses. No need to discuss further.

Maybe the team needed more preparation and disciplined practices instead of wasting that time running off our best coaches due to his religious and political beliefs, barfing out vox sjw headlines on Twitter, and focusing more on marching for the rights of a dead felon rather than studying film and hitting the gym.

but that’s ok. It will now be easier for me to bet against a group of players who apparently hate me and my family for simply looking different than them.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
and Mike Leach takes over a sad Miss St team and has to deal with the Covid junk, and he beats the defending champs and #6 ranked team in his 1st year. We never even offered Leach years ago, instead Lyons was fixated on Brown and Luke Fickell (Instead of a coach like Leach who has shown he can win in the Big 12 and also field competitive teams with less talent. Lyons wanted a HC that he could control and dictate things to)

Leach is a good coach. However, I think his first game in the SEC was different than say his first game at WVU in Big 12. My point being simply that the Big 12 sees his offense every week basically, while the SEC does not.

Brown needs more when Brown was at Troy he went to LSU and won

Please give me the scores and stats on WVU's wins last year. I recall, and I'm not stating it as fact but rather my recollection, that the defense seemed to do most of the heavy lifting in the wins. Particularly the ones against teams that were not just doormats like NC State.

Please give me the scores and stats on WVU's wins last year. I recall, and I'm not stating it as fact but rather my recollection, that the defense seemed to do most of the heavy lifting in the wins. Particularly the ones against teams that were not just doormats like NC State.

In the 5 wins........

WVU 20 JMU 13
WVU 44 NC State 27
WVU 29 Kansas 24
WVU 24 K-State 20
WVU 20 TCU 17

So, in wins our defense gave up an average of 20 PPG........in losses we gave up average of over 34 PPG

Neither had Bill Stewart or RRod at this point in their careers. Don Nehlen wasn't much better after 2 games in his 2nd season. I'm not saying Brown is great, but I don't see how people are so quick to just outright shit on him when other WVU coaches needed at least 2 full seasons to show their stuff. I agree he needs to start showing improvement, but many fans are ready to completely dismiss him despite others coaches who are looked back upon fondly having similar early struggles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT