ADVERTISEMENT

The new California law.

Will they sign contracts?

Will there be guaranteed minimums?

How much would we still be paying Gwaltney?

And, will the contract prevent them from entering the transfer portal?

The unintended consequences will be unimaginable.

Idiots at work.

And in response to Buck, or they could study hard in high school, get good grades, get student loans, not play football and not bust up their bodies. Just like the rest of us.

Sounds to me like THEY made the choice.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Exactly. It will just be another option in the "Blue Blood" Universities cheater "tool bag" of inducement to play for them.

Soooo, the people working hard every day sacrificing their minds and bodies should never share in the massive wealth theyve more than helped to create, because the system already in place will continue to exist?

Instead of exploiting the athletes, fix the corruption of those currently stealing all the spoils. Dont punish the people making the wealth possible.

Idiots at work.

Hmmm, does every other student earning a living working at universities have guaranteed minimums, contracts, no ability to quit or move between universities as they choose?

The consequences will be just exactly like every one else. Freedom rather than opression.

Besides the California law simply gives California athletes the ability finally to earn money from their image and likeness the same as everyone else thats been getting paid for it and getting wealthy for decades. Same as any other student.

Player A in a San Diego State jersey is worth $.

Player A in USC jersey worth $$$$$.

Which has the value? Player A or the jersey?

Will the parents of Player A be allowed to pay the school to wear a certain jersey to Increase their sons income potential?

Player A in a San Diego State jersey is worth $.

Player A in USC jersey worth $$$$$.

Which has the value? Player A or the jersey?

Will the parents of Player A be allowed to pay the school to wear a certain jersey to Increase their sons income potential?

Should be if they want to do that. Although nobody is going to look at parents giving their own child money from their own pocket as paying a player or earning money from your image and likeness.

The real issue is why do you care? You arent paying either one, just trying to keep them from being paid for some reason.

Theyll have the right to earn money as they are able from their image and likeness like everyone but them can do currently.

Last edited:
Imagine for a moment that in your job that you toil 50 plus hrs for a week that you are told you wont actually be paid to do it. When you say-- uhhh, but wait, you and the company are making billions in large part from the work Im performing! You are then told, yeah but we are giving you the chance to learn the job on the job.

That is what is happening to these athletes without whom the schools would not be bringing in billions over the years.

Your response was facile. This is a VERY complex issue with tons of unintended consequences that require deep, considerate thought. You sometimes make some good points on this board Townes but what you said to Root was just stupid.

It really isnt that complex at all.

A student-athlete would recieve compensation for his likeness and time, and they will assume the responsibility to pay the necessary tax burden.

I think people are over-estimating the demand for these athletes. A handful of top athletes will have some marketability and opportunity for some income.

Soooo, the people working hard every day sacrificing their minds and bodies should never share in the massive wealth theyve more than helped to create, because the system already in place will continue to exist?

Instead of exploiting the athletes, fix the corruption of those currently stealing all the spoils. Dont punish the people making the wealth possible.

This isnt accurate.

It isnt work. It isnt a job. A student isnt an employee of the University.

I have long thought athletes should be allowed to earn compensation but you are being disingenuous about it.

Keep in mind that this law wont change anything for most athletes "sacrificing their minds and bodies", as you put it. The lowly Defensive Lineman from Rutgers getting piledrived by B1G opponents each week probably wont see a change in his bank account.

Last edited:
This won't hurt WVU. Any athlete who accepts monetary compensation in accordance with this law will be ineligible for post-season play in accordance with NCAA rules.

For now.

But what will most likely happen is that this law and others will be used to leverage an agreement between all schools.

I dont really see how the NCAA has enforcibility.

This isnt accurate.

I have long thought athletes should be allowed to earn compensation but you are being disingenuous about it.

Keep in mind that this law wont change anything for most athletes "sacrificing their minds and bodies", as you put it. The lowly Defensive Lineman from Rutgers getting piledrived by B1G opponents each week probably wont see a change in his bank account.

These "student athletes" are REQUIRED by their athletics directors, coaches etc. to give a certain amount of time throughout the year.

They can't get outside jobs.

Can't always go to classes.

Have set study times.

Have mandatory excercise times.

Have travel, game time commitments they cannot miss.

Have mandatory practice schedules.

Talk about being "disingenuous". In everything but title, they are performing a job for the university.

and if they don't do it well, they can be dismissed just like from a job.

These "student athletes" are REQUIRED by their athletics directors, coaches etc. to give a certain amount of time throughout the year.

They can't get outside jobs.

Can't always go to classes.

Have set study times.

Have mandatory excercise times.

Have travel, game time commitments they cannot miss.

Have mandatory practice schedules.

Talk about being "disingenuous". In everything but title, they are performing a job for the university.

and if they don't do it well, they can be dismissed just like from a job.

With the exception of item 1, what you listed goes for anyone who is a member of any team at any level.

Theres nothing compelling about that argument.

If someone wants to work, have free time, control their own class schedule and have no restrictions on personal time, then being an athlete in college really doesn't make much sense.

Also, I believe the rule is that athletes cannot work jobs during their season but can have employment during the summer with approval - and many do.

Don't be dopey Darthy. If this stands then California schools have an advantage in recruiting. The NCAA will have to open the market up or go out of business. It will be, in the end, a few schools winning and the vast majority including WVU losing. This progressive idea will be the end of college athletics as we know it.

Of course someone could also say that the death of our addiction to sports will be a good thing in the end.

These fake students are already rewarded. The solution....get a job on a garbage truck instead of playing a game on campus.

Don't be dopey Darthy. If this stands then California schools have an advantage in recruiting. The NCAA will have to open the market up or go out of business. It will be, in the end, a few schools winning and the vast majority including WVU losing. This progressive idea will be the end of college athletics as we know it.

Of course someone could also say that the death of our addiction to sports will be a good thing in the end.

These fake students are already rewarded. The solution....get a job on a garbage truck instead of playing a game on campus.

I dont see what is progressive about this law.

It seems blatantly capitalist to me. It allows an individual to earn compensation based on their name, image and likeness.

So for example, if I'm a college athlete and a company wants to sell a coffee mug with my face and name on it - I can be compensated. Which seems completely fair and reasonable.

What is progressive about that?

The NCAA cant go out of business. It is an administrative and enforcement Association whose powers are granted by the membering universities.

It can however - like anything, no longer exist to serve a necessary purpose and dissolve.

To be fair, I've always felt that athletes should be forced to meet the same entrance requirements as all students and participate in the same curriculum.

Also keep in mind that if this plays out, universities will maintain control of their trademarks.

So hypothetically, a player could earn money for their name, image and likeness....but not while wearing a university uniform, or logo - or there would need to be a specific agreement.

I would predict there would be a dramatic drop in merchandise featuring a players image/name, with the exception of players who have actual name recognition or influence.

I suppose it would also allow a player opportunity to produce their own merchandise to sell independently, but if they feature university trademarks they would need to acquire a license, which they probably couldnt afford...or expressed permission.

With the exception of item 1, what you listed goes for anyone who is a member of any team at any level.

Theres nothing compelling about that argument.

If someone wants to work, have free time, control their own class schedule and have no restrictions on personal time, then being an athlete in college really doesn't make much sense.

Also, I believe the rule is that athletes cannot work jobs during their season but can have employment during the summer with approval - and many do.

You left out--
goes for anyone who is a member of any team at any "professional" level.

amateurs aren't REQUIRED to do anything. They aren't putting in the time, effort with restrictions on everything else they do. College athletes are.

There's nothing compelling about your reasoning that they are not professionals without pay.

Also keep in mind that if this plays out, universities will maintain control of their trademarks.

So hypothetically, a player could earn money for their name, image and likeness....but not while wearing a university uniform, or logo - or there would need to be a specific agreement.

I would predict there would be a dramatic drop in merchandise featuring a players image/name, with the exception of players who have actual name recognition or influence.

I suppose it would also allow a player opportunity to produce their own merchandise to sell independently, but if they feature university trademarks they would need to acquire a license, which they probably couldnt afford...or expressed permission.

Or split the revenue with the University.

and the movement to pay players grows...

Burgeoning ‘Fair Pay to Play’ movement adds Illinois, Nevada
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...ir-pay-to-play-movement-adds-illinois-nevada/

excerpt;
Monday, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed the Fair Pay to Play Act, which, beginning Jan. 1, 2023, guarantees student-athletes in the Golden State will have the right to market their name, image, and likeness (NIL) without fear of recrimination from NCAA member institutions. Not long after, Florida joined New York, North Carolina and South Carolina as the latest state to start down the NIL path blazed by California.

Tuesday, we noted that Pennsylvania (HERE), Minnesota (HERE) and Kentucky (HERE) were all states whose legislators are working on bills similar to the one approved in California. That same day, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that two Nevada state lawmakers, including former Nevada running back Jason Frierson, are in the early stages of exploring similar legislation; the Decatur Herald & Review writes that “[a]n Illinois lawmaker is sponsoring a bill to allow college student-athletes to sign endorsement deals, hire agents and benefit financially from the use of their likeness.”

You left out--

amateurs aren't REQUIRED to do anything. College athlets are.

There's nothing compelling about your reasoning that they are not professionals without pay.

That isnt true.

What happens if a high school player doesnt attend practice or other required team functions? Or dont meet the ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS to play?

They are disciplined.

They dont play, or they can be cut. Or not allowed back the following year - because they are not meeting the REQUIREMENTS to be on the team.

One of these days I want you to take me to LA LA Land with you so I can see what it is like.

Last edited:

I agree with all of this and will just add...if this system is so unfair and so terrible, every high school football player should skip college, hire coaches on their own dime to train them up and give the NFL a call when they are age-eligible. By doing that, it will prove just how much D1 football players are getting compensated beyond the cries of "all they get is a meaningless scholarship".

Reactions: Rootmaster
I agree with all of this and will just add...if this system is so unfair and so terrible, every high school football player should skip college, hire coaches on their own dime to train them up and give the NFL a call when they are age-eligible. By doing that, it will prove just how much D1 football players are getting compensated beyond the cries of "all they get is a meaningless scholarship".

Its not really about unfair or terrible. Its more about if the system is even legal.

If pushed to the federal level I dont think the NCAA would fair well. Seems to be a violation of anti-trust law.

Idiots at work.

And in response to Buck, or they could study hard in high school, get good grades, get student loans, not play football and not bust up their bodies. Just like the rest of us.

Sounds to me like THEY made the choice.

Will who sign contracts?

The athlete and the business using their image? Yes, maybe...

Guaranteed minimums?

The guaranteed minimum will be for whatever sum the parties agree when negotiating.

So if I hire you to mow my lawn, and we agree you do it for $50. The guatanteed minimum is $50.

Its not really about unfair or terrible. Its more about if the system is even legal.

If pushed to the federal level I dont think the NCAA would fair well. Seems to be a violation of anti-trust law.

Darthy...you must really hate WVU sports or college sports for that matter. This crap is going to kill it.

So next...do you feel that your fellow flute blowers in the school band are being treated unjustly and should be compensated?

I think part of the resistance stems from the current cost of higher education.

As a parent saving for college educations for 3 kids, I certainly can empathize with that.

Tuition, meal plan and room/board over 4 years is hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Imagine sending your kid out a pocket to Stanford, or Duke. They are $60K per year, not including room and board, and meal plan. So lets say $80,000 per year in total cost - so thats $320,000 over 4 years.

Injustice. Inequality. Poor me. Give me more. Save me. The whines from the left coast loons never die.

I'm pretty sure I just caught the back end of the o$u AD talking about keeping bad guys out of this and creating an "unlevel playing ground" lmao. Omfg. Between Pelosi stupid bitch ass talking about the constitution and this idiot talking about a level playing field, I need to go load up on supplies and get ready for the zombies because holy f'n christ this cant all be real

Injustice. Inequality. Poor me. Give me more. Save me. The whines from the left coast loons never die.

This just doesn't fit with the actual law.

This is actually structured to he completely unfair.

Its not equal payments. It is allowing players to be paid based on their celebrity. So you will only have a handful of athletes who will actually command money.

This is probably the least progressive bill CA has passed in 20 years. It blatantly rewards the 1% in college athletics.

ESPN bitching about the difference between this and pay for play. F off ESPN it is the same problem. Oh the unlevel playing field is already there so let's just make it bigger, lets allow boosters and such to openly offer things to recruits instead of in the dark, because that is both much more profitable and convenient for what espn wants, and much easier to do than punishing all of espn money maker schools for their cheating. Just make it all legal for them

There's no give me to it. An athlete is able to get a company to pay him or her for his or her endorsement - good for them. Two willing parties executing a contractual agreement.

If this law were passed in WV and we had the second coming of Pat White, companies would be lined up to execute a contractual agreement with him.

Darthy...you must really hate WVU sports or college sports for that matter. This crap is going to kill it.

So next...do you feel that your fellow flute blowers in the school band are being treated unjustly and should be compensated?

If a business wants to use their image, name and likeness to profit a band member should be compensated.

Just like anyone else on the face of the earth already can.

By the way, I dont think band members are even prevented from doing so, so your nightmare has already arrived.

There's no give me to it. An athlete is able to get a company to pay him or her for his or her endorsement - good for them. Two willing parties executing a contractual agreement.

If this law were passed in WV and we had the second coming of Pat White, companies would be lined up to execute a contractual agreement with him.

Will Grier could have sold finger splints.

Stedman Bailey could be the face of Thermaflue.

If a WVU band member wants to join a rock band and gets a paid gig at a bar, he is allowed to, right?

If someone wants to hire a WVU band member to perform an instrumental for a song that would be used in a commercial, they can right?

If a WVU engineering student gains a patent, they can get paid for it, right?

If a WVU Art student wants to sell their art online, they can right?

That isnt true.

What happens if a high school player doesnt attend practice or other required team functions? Or dont meet the ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS to play?

They are disciplined.

They dont play, or they can be cut. Or not allowed back the following year - because they are not meeting the REQUIREMENTS to be on the team.

One of these days I want you to take me to LA LA Land with you so I can see what it is like.

High school athletes can get a job. They do not face the same requirements as college athletes do--they don't have their living, eating, excercise, practice, study, travel and game time scrutinized and controlled at the same level as major college athletes do.

More importantly, high schools are not making tens of millions per year because of the athletes at their schools.

High school athletes can get a job. They do not face the same requirements as college athletes do--they don't have their living, eating, excercise, practice, study, travel and game time scrutinized and controlled at the same level as major college athletes do.

More importantly, high schools are not making tens of millions per year because of the athletes at their schools.

And youth sports dont face the same requirements as high school athletes. It doesn't matter.

And like mentioned, they can get jobs just not during season. Which is pretty normal.

Your argumemt was 100% wrong.

You left out--

amateurs aren't REQUIRED to do anything. They aren't putting in the time, effort with restrictions on everything else they do. College athletes are.

Your statement is patently incorrect. Amateur athletes ARE REQUIRED TO DO MANY THINGS. You are wrong, again.

Their living and eating expenses are paid for, however; having a SCHEDULE is a common part of life.

Its simply a requirement to be on the team. Their travel, class time, tutors, and exercise facilities are also all provided by the University and part of their scholarship - they are using university provided assets.

You aren't providing intelligent arguments.

This is probably the least progressive bill CA has passed in 20 years. It blatantly rewards the 1% in college athletics.

If a WVU band member wants to join a rock band and gets a paid gig at a bar, he is allowed to, right?

DopeyVadeer...It is progressive. Maybe not progressive for you in your black outfit and face mask but progressive.

You made my point dufuss on the second comment. Band member won't be representing the University...and doesn't get a free ride to skip classes and blow horns like a lot of the barely got out of high school jocks that I am referring to.

BTW: raised three kids. Paid for them. Don,t sound like
you are special comrade.

Last edited:
Anything that comes from California is a joke. Its about time to just remove them, make them officially part of Mexico, and build the wall up that border. State is a toast home and the people in Hollywood are ****tards

The NCAA has 2 choices--go along and make the California rule an NCAA rule or kick schools that use the law out of the NCAA.

DopeyVadeer...It is progressive. Maybe not progressive for you in your black outfit and face mask but progressive.

You made my point dufuss on the second comment. Band member won't be representing the University...and doesn't get a free ride to skip classes and blow horns like a lot of the barely got out of high school jocks that I am referring to.

BTW: raised three kids. Paid for them. Don,t sound like
you are special comrade.

What is progressive about getting paid for your name and image when it is used?

So if tomorrow someone started using your name and image to sell a product, and you recieved compensation for it, you would be a progressive?

Trump used his name and image to brand and sell lots of products. Was he a progressive?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT