ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on the program

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
I could not agree more with Vernon. This is a terrible time, given realignment, to have a below average football program, just terrible. We all know the buyout is a big number but what does it cost WVU if we don't make a move? Lost revenues as fans desert the program, lost recruits, lost players to transfer and possibly a lost opportunity in realignment. Perhaps, miraculously Brown turns this season around but assuming he does not, we have to make a move that sends a signal to the college football world, to our fans and to our players and recruits that we will do what it takes to become a top 25 type program. We simply cannot afford not to, the benefits of doing so far outweigh the cost.

1. If the season continues down the toilet, we need to replace Brown during the season, imo. Name Harrell as interim coach with an opportunity to compete at year's end for the head coaching position. Hopefully, this minimizes the loss of recruits. I view this as a stop gap measure to try and staunch the bleeding. If Brown turns it around a bit and we win 5-6 games, keep him until year's end and then let him go. Hopefully, this helps us keep the vast majority of commitments during the early signing period.

2. We have to hire a "name" coach. We've struck out twice by going with young up and comers. I don't trust Lyons to pick another up and coming coach (although Luck, not Lyons, hired Dana). But I do not see us hiring a very good coach away from another big school unless there is some sort of strong connection (for example, we are not getting Fickell from Cinci even if there was no Catholic school issue and we are a better program than Cinci). Thus the dilemma. How do we make a hire that excites the fans, excites the players and recruits and sends a message that WVU will not settle for anything less than excellence?

3. Unfortunately, I only see two options. The first is to go after Jimbo. He is not exactly loved in College Station. He would be coming home. He has a big name in college football. It would be a splash hire. Fans would be excited. The players would be excited. Our recruits would be excited. It would send shock waves across the college football world. And it would send a message that may help us in realignment. Jimbo may not be a great coach. He may not lead us to a championship or even to the championship series. But he is good enough during a crucial period in WVU football to help us right the ship.

The other option is R-Rod. He would be much, much cheaper than Jimbo. He may be a better coach. He would not be the splash hire that Jimbo would be. But there would be a buzz. The big drawback is our fan's reaction. Just like this board, I suspect a fairly large number would hold there noses because they simply want to win. Others would not ever accept him back but may be slowly won over if we win and win big. Rich is cheaper but more risky.

As for money, this is going to cost a lot, especially if we can get Jimbo. But what is the cost if we don't make this kind of move? It could be enormous if it dramatically hurts us during realignment.

There are up and coming coaches that might be better for wins and losses than either Jimbo or R-Rod. But, do we trust WVU to make the right hire? What happens to our existing players and recruits? Do we lose a lot to transfers and shed commitments? How long would it take to turn things around? And if we strike out again, do we lose out on realignment? We have too much at stake to take any risk. It is going to cost and cost plenty but if we don't make this move, it could well cost us much, much more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News