ADVERTISEMENT

Smoked Chicken Quarters

1WVU

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Enjoyed BCM's brine so much with a whole chicken that I brined some chicken quarters overnight and smoked them with some apple wood. Rubbed the chicken with my basic all purpose bbq rub and cooked at a higher temp (300-315). Finished them off with a sweet BBQ sauce. Results were fantastic; wife absolutely loved them. BCM the brine is my go-to now for chicken...

E5121470-100D-48C8-B254-CF51CAC0A642.jpg

This post was edited on 4/5 8:10 PM by 1WVU

BC, do you find a need to brine if the chicken is pumped or do you just brine the non pumped?

I brined some bone in chicken breasts last week over night and then patted them dry and applied my own dry rub and smoked on my gas grill using hickory chips. Chicken was moist and flavor was good but I can never seem to get the skin crispy enough even though I finish by grilling on high heat after BBQ sauce is applied until I get that charred look. Any tips on crisping the skin?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Have you tried a quick sear on the chicken before the smoke? You will have to watch the dry rub. If the pieces are large and the skin is thick, you need a good bit of time to get the skin done..

That's the toughest part about chicken IMO Ron. I have a bullet smoker (weber smoky mountain smoker), and when chicken is finished I place the grate directly over coals to crisp the skin. Have to be careful though as you can get burnt chicken really easy.

A friend if mine has been smoking a lot longer than I, and he does something similar to what BCM is suggesting. He initially cooks over direct heat then moves the chicken to indirect.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'll give it a try Jamie. I would think searing before smoking would prevent the smoke from penetrating the chicken but your the expert bro. I'll let ya know how it turns out.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT