ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Observations on the 2023 West Virginia schedule release

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--First of all, my projection for the teams and the home away was one off. I had Iowa State at home instead of Texas Tech (Sept. 23), which is obviously a more difficult, but exciting draw overall. The rest of the home games are Oklahoma State (Oct. 21), BYU (Nov. 4), Cincinnati (Nov. 18). The road schedule matches up with my projection with at TCU (Sept. 30), at Houston (Oct. 12), at Central Florida (Oct. 28), at Oklahoma (Nov. 11) and at Baylor (Nov 25). It’s a solid slate overall when you consider that West Virginia will open at Penn State Sept. 2, then host Duquesne Sept. 9 and then host Pitt Sept. 16.

--You don’t like to see more road games than home games in the league, but considering the Mountaineers were 5-4 in favor of home games in conference last year this made sense. Not having Iowa State on the schedule is really surprising given the fact that the two teams were billed as ‘rivals.’

--It’s a difficult schedule in some ways but when you consider you’re replacing Texas, Kansas State, Kansas and Iowa State for Cincinnati, BYU, Houston and Central Florida it’s easier than it was last season. The Mountaineers get all four of the newcomers which should help this team overall. West Virginia and Oklahoma State are the only two teams that play each of the new four from the original ten.

--Not getting either Oklahoma or Texas at home is obviously a blow for the prestige of the home slate. Bringing in Texas Tech is better than I thought the Mountaineers would have, but you like to see one of those two at home if possible. The good news is that at least the Mountaineers get Oklahoma on the schedule this season which I wasn’t sure would be a guarantee until late.

--Getting Cincinnati on the slate isn’t a surprise. I expect to see the Bearcats annually as the ‘rival’ for West Virginia in the league. It will be senior night for the program as well.

--I do think getting BYU at home is a good draw with how well they travel. It doesn’t replace the matchup with Texas or Oklahoma, but it should be an exciting game. The atmosphere between BYU and the West Virginia fan base might be one of the most interesting dynamics of two fan bases.

--There’s nothing I like about the trip to Houston Oct. 12. Not only did the league and TV miss an excellent opportunity to attract interest by bringing former coach Dana Holgorsen back to Morgantown but the game is on a Thursday. Houston doesn’t really have a great home environment and the weekday kickoff isn’t going to help things. Still, it’s an opportunity for West Virginia to go on the road and get a win over a team that will be in its first year in the league with the former coach on their sidelines.

--West Virginia does not play two consecutive away games this season without a bye in between. The Mountaineers have a bye between the TCU and Houston road games Oct. 7 weekend but will rotate home and away after that bye down the second half of the season. The Mountaineers do get three consecutive home games after opening at Penn State.

--West Virginia does not play a single team with bye week before they play the Mountaineers other than Houston. The two will have a bye to prepare for each other.

--That Houston game is the only non-Saturday game. That is good.

--West Virginia is going to have a pretty telling five game stretch to open the season. At Penn State, then the FCS game (if it isn’t moved to week zero), Pittsburgh in Morgantown, Texas Tech in Morgantown and then on the road at TCU. It is the most difficult stretch of the season by far and the Mountaineers need to find a way to start faster than they have the past two years. The Mountaineers need to find three wins out of that group if possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News