ADVERTISEMENT

NPR Far Left Bias

bornaneer

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2014
Veteran NPR editor Uri Berliner gave a lengthy rebuke of his employers' media coverage of major news stories over the last few years in an essay Tuesday for the Free Press. He blew the whistle on the outlet's coverage and cataloged voter registration records, which he said depicted an 87–0 Democratic bent in its newsroom. Berliner alleged there is an absence of "viewpoint diversity" and avoidance of terms such as "biological sex" in the NPR newsroom.

Juan Williams was fired in 2010 by NPR.

Williams suggested he was not surprised at Berliner's comments that an "an open-minded spirit no longer exists within NPR... [that is] devastating both for its journalism and its business model.".

"I don't think I'm any wild-eyed conservative, but they thought I was too conservative a Black guy for their kind of company," he said.

"Not only did they fire me — they called me a psycho. I mean, they said horrible things about me quite publicly. So, no, it doesn't surprise me what [Berliner] had to say."

Williams noted his firing happened long before former President Trump appeared on the political scene in 2015 and threw the media into fits that continue today.

"So they are a very much an insulated cadre of people who think they're right, and they have a hard time with people who are different," he said.

"I think what you're seeing now, especially after Trump, is that we live in a very polarized media landscape, and they have established a beachhead on the far-left."

Williams said Berliner correctly cited NPR's audience is disproportionately further to the left than ever and that "you see fewer conservatives tuning in."

• Haha
Reactions: moe
In his essay, Berliner was particularly critical of how NPR embraced the Russiagate conspiracy narrative, saying it frequently used Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., for interviews and followed his lead about the story: "The Schiff talking points became the drumbeat of NPR news reports."

When the story fizzled after the Robert Mueller investigation found no evidence to prove a conspiracy
between the Donald Trump campaign and Russia to fix the 2016 election, Berliner admitted, "NPR's coverage was notably sparse."
"So on May 3, 2021, I presented the findings at an all-hands editorial staff meeting. When I suggested we had a diversity problem with a score of 87 Democrats and zero Republicans, the response wasn’t hostile. It was worse," he wrote in The Free Press. "It was met with profound indifference. I got a few messages from surprised, curious colleagues. But the messages were of the ‘oh wow, that’s weird’ variety, as if the lopsided tally was a random anomaly rather than a critical failure of our diversity North Star."

"In a follow-up email exchange, a top NPR news executive told me that she had been ‘skewered’ for bringing up diversity of thought when she arrived at NPR. So, she said, 'I want to be careful how we discuss this publicly.'"

• Haha
Reached for comment, an NPR spokesperson editor-in-chief Edith Chapin, said she and her team "strongly disagree" with Berliner's assessment of the quality of NPR's journalism and integrity.

Chapin said..."Journalism is a collaborative process. Rigorous debate and self-examination are necessary parts of our pursuit of the facts, and exploring the diverse perspectives that drive world events is necessary to our public service mission. That’s why we have built in processes to verify accuracy and why we adhere to the highest editorial standards."

Wow...“RIGOROUS debate and Self-Examination” ? And still they refused to believe the Hunter Biden Laptop was anything but a Russian Hoax…even after Hunter confirmed it was his all by himself. And yet, the NPR staff believes they are journalists?

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT