ADVERTISEMENT

How much does the character traits matter to you in your HC or is all about wins and losses?

rog1187

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I got to thinking about this the other day. I ran into HCNB early Sunday morning - he was taking his youngest daughter to a softball lesson. Here's a guy that has a high profile and high stress job, just got done wrapping up a very successful recruiting season/day, and has a huge game coming up in little over a week and he's taking the time to spend with his daughter. I don't agree with everything he does in his job, but this type of thing gives me a different perspective and is a big plus to me. I think it says a lot about the type of guy he is and it's a good thing. It's not the first time I've seen him out and around with his family/kids either. I'm sure he would have talked football with me as well, but he was there as a dad and not as a coach - just gave him the 'good luck next week coach' and moved on. Huggs is the same way, be it Panera or Keglers the guy is personable with everyone and you have to think that translates to recruits and families. Had similar interactions with Stew and even Nehlen. Genuinely personable and good people that you can relate too/with.

Can't say the same for RRod - never really saw him out but that doesn't mean he wasn't a personable guy or family man. Never got that feeling with Dana.

Does it matter? Not sure. Maybe it makes the lows not as low and the highs even higher. Maybe it's just good to know that we have good people in those roles and representing the University and State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News