ADVERTISEMENT

Five Thoughts...Oklahoma St. 48 WVU 34 & The Crossroads

eer2000

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
My Fiver on WVU's loss to Oklahoma State in Morgantown Saturday...

1. Terrifying. As a kid, I watched pretty much all of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Ditto for the Friday the 13th series. The Ring is a pretty scary one - and Jaws is of course an all time classic. But, nothing, absolutely nothing, is more bone chilling than when we are fielding a punt. It is absolutely terrifying. So, when we had the lead 24-20, backed Oklahoma State into a 4th & 13, and were about to get favorable field position...when that ball was in the air, I almost couldn't watch. Then, the inevitable occurred. I would 100% be in favor of what Dana Holgorsen did in 2014 and just forget about putting a punt return man back there. But, that singular play/gaffe/monumental F--- up was the end of the game. From that point, Oklahoma State ran 11 total plays, gained 228 yards and scored 4 touchdowns. That play didn't just end the game. It ended Neal Brown's career. And it may have ended our season.

2. The "D" laid down. We have given up 48 points combined in the last two games' fourth quarters. Down 21-17 heading into the 4th at Houston, lost 41-39. Leading 24-20 heading into the 4th vs. OSU, lost 48-34. That is absolutely unacceptable on so many different levels. And Oklahoma State didn't really try to do anything overly complicated. They just handed the ball off to Ollie Gordon II and their OL steamrolled our DL and he ran untouched into the end zone. Our LBs & Spear were completely lost. It was embarrassing. This defense looks nothing like what we saw in the 4-1 start. Nothing. Trey Lathan was damn good, and is a huge loss. But, his loss has nothing to do with our DL becoming road kill and our LBs and Spear being found on the back of milk cartons. Oklahoma State's OL just beat our DL into the turf. Often, they got to the 2nd level to chip our LBs out of the way. I said it before this game, I cannot stand soft defense. I actually can put up with our pedestrian offense when our "D" is legit. But, this....this is unacceptable.

3. I'll give credit to the following players, who never gave up and kept fighting until the bell: Garrett Greene, Justin Johnson Jr., Preston Fox, EJ Horton, Wyatt Milum, Zach Frazier. Also kudos to our kicker, Michael Hayes - that kid is legit. I don't know where we're going with this program after 2023, but I will be very happy if those 6 guys are still part of the program.

4. Oklahoma State 3rd & 3, score 27-27, from WVU 29. Quick swing pass to Brannen Pressley, and Marcis Floyd and Aubrey Burks had him dead-to-rights two yards behind the line of scrimmage. Both whiffed on a Pressley spin, and he sprints in for a TD. OK - that's very Marcis Floyd. But, Aubrey Burks whiffing on that one was an eye-opener. Karl Joseph would've decleated Pressley there. But, Burks hesitated. Could be the injury giving him second thoughts, I don't know. But, he hesitated instead of going in there like a missile and making the play. He makes that play there, it's 4th and 5, and OSU is forced to make a business decision in a game still up for grabs. Just an awful play -right up there with the muffed punt return.

5. The Crossroads. I mentioned it in @WV42MU31 's thread - before Saturday, I felt this game was a Crossroads. Neal Brown had built up some good will during the 4-1 start, but all of that good will was burned by the Hail Mary and Houston loss. A loss Saturday in Morgantown vs. an OSU team who frankly is very pedestrian would be the kill shot. It's over. I agree with @mdeer1 that the optics of paying Neal Brown $13 million - even with donors' money - is awful right now in so many facets. To me, the singular most significant gut punch of that idea is that I would much, much rather have those funds parked in the Country Roads Trust. But, it is what it is. We're stuck with this buyout and we make it to move on, optics be damned.

WVU is a damn fine football program with a passionate fanbase and a hell of a tradition. We are not the type of people who give up and just walk away from all of that history. No matter what happens the rest of this season, I will always cheer for the flying WV and support this program. There are fine coaches out there who could come here, embrace our brand and win. I am intrigued by @backcountry mounty 's boy Brian Hartline. I'm sure he would bring his younger brother Mike, who is the passing game coordinator at Charlotte, to be his OC. That makes me wince a bit. I do think Curt Cignetti should be a top 5 candidate. But, it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Once Brown is fired and the new coach is in place, hope will spring eternal and the fanbase will be united...unless one particular candidate is hired, and then he better come here and win big right away. One thing I can guarantee you is that WVU football will be back. We'll win again. We just need to absorb these uppercuts, pick ourselves off the mat, and try to forge a better future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News