ADVERTISEMENT

An observation and a few comments about NB

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
We have a chance to win 9 games. Will we? I don't know but we have a really good shot at going 8 - 4 in the regular season and in a season where most of us (WVU fans) and certainly the Big 12 preseason predictions were very pessimistic about our chances for any success. We, without question, had a fairly easy Big 12 schedule. But this is a team that does not have a ton of talent. And you still have to play the games and win them.

For starters, NB was smart enough to realize that our chances to win games depended on running the ball and controlling clock. He built the offense around that concept. His play designs are terrific taking advantage of the strengths we have. And his pre-snap motion and the optionality built into Greene's reads are also very, very good. As is his play calling. Greene is not an accurate passer. So NB designed this offense to primarily stretch the field with our passing game further opening up the running game. When you consistently throw the ball downfield with a QB that can, on occasion, hit those passes, it forces the defense to respect the pass even with a QB that is pretty average in the passing game. And the running game opens up passing lanes for our very weak corps of receivers. Because defenses must be very run conscious.

We are putting up some good offensive numbers with a strong OL, a QB with a very average arm but good legs, a poor WR group and a couple of good, not yet great RB's. That is pretty good coaching.

On defense, we are very, very thin. Our DL does not have a star. We lost an ILB early who was turning into a beast. We replaced that key player with a true freshman. We have a group of DB's that going into the season were thought to be a major weakness. And while they have been a bit up and down, they are certainly playing better than we thought they were capable. All in all, a pretty average defense, talent wise. Yet, with the strong running game and a ball control offense, they can stay rested and are not generally on the field for extended periods.

Some may quibble with some of the points I have made, but the fact is we are likely headed for a 8 - 4 season and are one ridiculous play away from being 9 - 3. Yet, many are either not giving NB any credit and want him gone or somehow rationalizing our record by pointing to our schedule that NB had zero control over. Is NB the answer to lead us to the promised land? I don't know. He has certainly not been the answer thus far. But I give him a ton of credit for this season and I think he has earned the chance to captain the ship next season. Can he become a Beamer who had a very, very poor start at Va Tech and then completely turned the ship around? I don't know but he deserves that shot. Next season will be very telling. And I hope WVU fans give him their support and the opportunity to completely right the ship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News