ADVERTISEMENT

You guys really need to lay off James Franklin . . . . .

UtahMike

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Bonevile, UT
I am shocked we have misunderstood him so :wink:
---------------------------
Is Penn State having issues with negative recruiting? James Franklin offers insight on that, and what it means

By Greg Pickel | gpickel@pennlive.com The Patriot-News
Follow on Twitter
on January 23, 2016 at 11:07 AM, updated January 23, 2016 at 11:44 AM
blank.gif

blank.gif

blank.gif

Penn State recruiting

Penn State's class of 2016 has 18 members, and of late, some of them have shown interest in other programs.

The class has picked up just one commitment since the 2015 season began way back in August, Clairton athlete Aaron Mathews, and while the program has space to add to its class before National Signing Day on Feb. 3, there's no guarantee it will.

Some of that is due to the fact that the program identified and locked up key targets early on, and some can simply be blamed on the fact that not every recruit, whether he lives in Pennsylvania or elsewhere, wants to play at Penn State.

Negative recruiting is probably a part of the issue, too. At least, James Franklin believes it is.

"We've been getting a lot of negative recruiting," Franklin said on Saturday morning. "It's kind of been that way since we arrived, about Penn State, about the challenges we've been through."

For those unaware, negative recruiting is exactly what it sounds like, and it has been around as long as college football recruiting has been around. Essentially, it features opposing coaches pointing out all that's wrong with another program, whether it be off field challenges, issues with a particular coach, how the recruit would fit in the other school's offense or defense, the campus environment, and more.

Franklin suggested the Lions' have been negatively recruited against by schools close to their University Park campus, to boot.

"There's a lot of people that, their backgrounds, their success, are aligned in if Penn State is not successful, it's going to help a lot of those other programs be successful," he said.

"I think a lot of it, to be honest with you, is a strong Penn State makes it really difficult for a lot of other programs in this region. A strong Penn State makes it challenging for a lot of people.

Combatting it can be challenging, too. High school players, perhaps intimidated and perhaps unsure of how to go about it, accept the negative messages as fact rather than asking the school about the claims. And if a school is negatively recruited against, it is tempting to fire back with negative words of their own.

Franklin said his program avoids that.

"I think it's not how we do things, and not who I am," he said. "When you have a great product to sell, and our history and tradition and facilities, we spend our time focused on Penn State."

The current crop of high school seniors will soon sign, and if Penn State has its way, it will add to its class before then. There are nearly 15 prospects on campus this weekend for official visits, including targets Khaleke Hudson, a McKeesport athlete, and Damar Hamlin, a Pittsburgh Central Catholic safety. Next week will offer another opportunity to host recruits on the final weekend before signing day.

There will be plenty of messages sent before then, both positive and negative. It's the way the recruiting game works anymore, for better or worse.

"Our administration has been really good in answering some of those questions," Franklin said. "That's just how we're going to handle it. I think in the long run, when you take that path, it's going to pay the dividends you want, and I think the negative stuff is going to catch up to you at some point, and you're going to burn bridges."

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...state_having_issues_wi.html#incart_river_home

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News