ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another Tennessee fan here...

utvolman99

Redshirting
May 29, 2001
First off, I want to apologize for some of the a$$ hats coming onto your board and acting the fool. I have been a member on the Rivals Vols site since before Rivals and I don't recognize any of these names. With that out of the way, on to discussion about the game...

Two months ago, I was sure this was a bad draw was headed for a blowout loss. Now, (as I am a homer at heart), I feel this game will be a real fight. I am hanging my hopes on two things. 1. The Vols have some real talent. 2. We are healthy for the first time in the last two years. The latter could obviously change in the blink of an eye but our injury situation for 2016 and 2017 was ludicrous. As a matter of fact, the Vols led the country in "Most Lost Starts" for both seasons.

Some of the biggest injuries to starters in 2017...

LB Darrin Kirkland Jr. (Out for season Preseason) Knee
OL Chance Hall (Out for Season Preseason) Knee
WR Jauan Jennings (Out for Season in 1st game) Wrist
S Todd Kelly Jr. (Out for season in 2nd game) Knee
QB Quinten Dormady Shoulder (Out for season in 5th game)
S Evan Berry (Out for season in 3rd game) He was an All American kick returner
LB Cortez McDowell (Out for season in 3rd game) Wrist
QB Jarrett Guarantano (Missed one game as a starter)
OL in general, Tennessee had only one starter not miss a game due to injuries

There were no major injuries in Spring and knock on wood, we should have all our starters on the field Saturday. I'm looking forward to it. However, I stand ready with a full bottle of Basil Hayden, ready to pour a double the first time a Vol is slow to get up...

First off, I want to apologize for some of the a$$ hats coming onto your board and acting the fool. I have been a member on the Rivals Vols site since before Rivals and I don't recognize any of these names. With that out of the way, on to discussion about the game...

Two months ago, I was sure this was a bad draw was headed for a blowout loss. Now, (as I am a homer at heart), I feel this game will be a real fight. I am hanging my hopes on two things. 1. The Vols have some real talent. 2. We are healthy for the first time in the last two years. The latter could obviously change in the blink of an eye but our injury situation for 2016 and 2017 was ludicrous. As a matter of fact, the Vols led the country in "Most Lost Starts" for both seasons.

There were no major injuries in Spring and knock on wood, we should have all our starters on the field Saturday. I'm looking forward to it. However, I stand ready with a full bottle of Basil Hayden, ready to pour a double the first time a Vol is slow to get up...
Appreciate your thoughts on the game. Should be a fun one!

It took Kirby Smart 2 years to turn Georgia around. It will take Pruitt the same.

Tennessee is not the only one in college football to have injuries. If you are suppose to be so talented then these injuries should be no problem.

Your excuses for the last 2 years will not fly.

I think the feeling around here is mostly like a must win. We have one of the best QB's in the country. His only weakness last season was to check out of running plays too often. We have three starting o-lineman back. We have arguably the best starting wide receiving corps in the country. We have a totally different yet experienced D-Line back that appears to be listening to the gap responsibilities that our last year's D-Line disregarded. We are strong at one of the three LB positions, and average at the other two with starting experience. Our safeties are typically our strong point, but our CB's are a question mark. We are strong on O, and unsure on D to this point. Good luck, but MY opinion is we win by 17 or we are in worse shape than I thought.[cheers]

Reactions: 82Mountaineer
If UT has their running game in place and keeps Grier off the field I will be in the Makers Mark by 2nd quarter. If it is a high scoring affair I like our chances cause that is what we normally see in league play. I don’t understand any cockiness on either fan base as last year should have been a lesson with the team’s performance. Hate playing teams with new coaches as everything is a crapshoot regarding preparation.

Tennessee is not the only one in college football to have injuries.

This is true. However, it is also true that in 2016 no other college football team had more starters miss more games than Tennessee and then again in 2017, no other college football team had more starters miss more games. So while all teams do have injuries, none have had as many as Tennessee for the last two seasons.

It took Kirby Smart 2 years to turn Georgia around. It will take Pruitt the same.

Tennessee is not the only one in college football to have injuries. If you are suppose to be so talented then these injuries should be no problem.

Your excuses for the last 2 years will not fly.

Nope...but Tennessee did have more starters injured than any other college football program for each of the past 2 seasons (see attached substantiation).

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2018/jun/25/tennessee-led-nation/473739/

Couple that with inept coaching, and it was a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Brookecountyeer
Nope...but Tennessee did have more starters injured than any other college football program for each of the past 2 seasons (see attached substantiation).

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2018/jun/25/tennessee-led-nation/473739/

Maybe there is a problem with the strength and conditioning staff. We just got a full time nutritionist for football exclusively. Hopefully she helps them stay injury and cramp free. No one wants to see either kid injured, but I'm not going to lose sleep in your team cramps up.:sunglasses:

We just got a full time nutritionist for football exclusively. :sunglasses:

UT had an excellent nutritionist starting in 2007, but Butch Jones let her go in 2016. Pruitt brought in the nutritionist from Alabama with him when he came, so we should be good in that area.

Jones flip flopped S&C coaches throughout his tenure, and I think that played a role in UT's injury susceptibility. Pruitt brought in the S&C coach from the Houston Texans...so I am hoping he makes a positive impact.

Maybe there is a problem with the strength and conditioning staff. We just got a full time nutritionist for football exclusively. Hopefully she helps them stay injury and cramp free. No one wants to see either kid injured, but I'm not going to lose sleep in your team cramps up.:sunglasses:

You cannot truthfully stop cramping.
You can tell the players to eat bananas and stay hydrated but the inevitable will happen.
September of course is the worse month but in the South you see in it October and November sometimes.

Cramping only keeps players off the field for maybe 5-10 plays.

I met Haskell Stanback here in Roanoke va. Dr golf, the name of the store, was a UT grad and Mr Stanback came into the store. I beleive a teammate of his was Conridge Holloway?

You can tell the players to eat bananas and stay hydrated but the inevitable will happen.
September of course is the worse month but in the South you see in it October and November sometimes.

Last year's Red River Shootout was a perfect example.
All of OU's defense was lying all over the field the final play because of cramping.
UT just ran out of time.
I always wondered why they thought they got the better end of the deal by having UT run out of their tunnel.

Maybe before when people could throw glass bottles at the players.
Much rather have the sideline with the pressbox for shade

Stupid Okies got hoodwinked.

Reactions: TownesVanZandt

Let the smack talk fall as it may! Friendly banter, great fans, and a fun game anticipation. Cant wait to meet some of y'all in Charlotte!!!

tenor.gif

Pickle juice nightly in the run up to the game will take care of most gameday cramps. Take that from someone who played in the era of "Water will make you puke, boy!"

Now if we can only bring back the flying wedge and spiked shoes. Those were the days before that darned Teddy Roosevelt ruined football.

If UT has their running game in place and keeps Grier off the field I will be in the Makers Mark by 2nd quarter. If it is a high scoring affair I like our chances cause that is what we normally see in league play. I don’t understand any cockiness on either fan base as last year should have been a lesson with the team’s performance. Hate playing teams with new coaches as everything is a crapshoot regarding preparation.
This is in large part my sentiment as well. Although I wouldn't write off this passing game. Butch's scheme was hot garbage for QBs not named Josh Dobbs. Dobbs was only able to make it work because he was such an athletic freak that he kept defenses honest. But I would agree that if it comes to a shoot-out WVU has the advantage. I'm ready for kickoff! This week has been going at a snail's pace for me.

Last edited:

YELLOW MUSTARD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT