ADVERTISEMENT

WVU's Next Move: ACC or Big Ten?

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009

The Big 12 is set to collapse, so West Virginia needs to get ahead of the game and find a new home.

In 2020, the Big Ten made $768.9 million according to USA Today. That was the most revenue generated by a Power Five conference ahead of the SEC ($728.9 million), PAC-12 ($533.8 million), ACC ($496.7 million), and Big 12 ($409.2 million).

Whether it's the ACC or the Big Ten, we should naturally see an improvement in WVU's recruiting classes. It makes it much easier to sell a brand that is playing games both home and away in the region you are recruiting than it is playing in a league that's in a completely different time zone.

Big Ten, and it's a no brainer. More money, definitive STABILITY, and a better region(except Florida).

I think there's no way the Big Ten adds WVU. And I'm not sure the ACC would but with football constantly become more important and with WVU being a football school, maybe there's a chance.

They say it's all about TV sets and WVU doesn't bring many new TV sets but OTOH WVU does have more of a national name in football than lots of current ACC schools, so in a national or regional TV game, all things being equal WVU is a better TV draw than schools like Pitt or BC or certainly Wake Forest or Duke.

I think the two best possibilities for WVU at this point are the ACC or a conference that is going to be second tier with the UCFs and Houstons, etc, so I'm hoping the ACC pans out. But I'm not holding my breath. I'd say it's 50-50 at best.

Reactions: Rootmaster

The Big 12 is set to collapse, so West Virginia needs to get ahead of the game and find a new home.

In 2020, the Big Ten made $768.9 million according to USA Today. That was the most revenue generated by a Power Five conference ahead of the SEC ($728.9 million), PAC-12 ($533.8 million), ACC ($496.7 million), and Big 12 ($409.2 million).

Whether it's the ACC or the Big Ten, we should naturally see an improvement in WVU's recruiting classes. It makes it much easier to sell a brand that is playing games both home and away in the region you are recruiting than it is playing in a league that's in a completely different time zone.
I hope I'm wrong, but I see GEE pushing for the Big 10 - he has buddies there AND he sees it as a higher prestige conference. We fans must speak up in favor of ACC - old rivals AND can drive to more away games - hell, yeah. Cool it Gee - listen to the fans.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I hope I'm wrong, but I see GEE pushing for the Big 10 - he has buddies there AND he sees it as a higher prestige conference. We fans must speak up in favor of ACC - old rivals AND can drive to more away games - hell, yeah. Cool it Gee - listen to the fans.
Listen to the fans? There are just as many fans that rather go to the Big10. And the fans that say can drive to away games in the acc are fans that are already living in the carolinas and georgie

You're operating under the assumption both conferences are options.

That's right.

Since the SEC is through (?) with OU and UT for now, next up will be the B10's turn to poach. Most likely they'll go after ACC schools first since they will be the low-hanging fruit. Afterwards, the remnants of the ACC and Pac will pick up most, if not all, of who is left. Obviously, our best option is the B10 financially although it will most likely end up being the ACC as a consolation prize.

Reactions: Tylerite
If WVU ends up in the Big 10, two things have happened.

1) Ohio State has gone to the SEC. Those dicks will never allow the B10 to let us in.

2) There is a CFB fire sale unlike anything we’ve ever seen. Complete destabilization into 2 conferences (B10 and SEC) and they are dividing up every significant program in the country like a swap meet.

Reactions: mzman
That's right.

Since the SEC is through (?) with OU and UT for now, next up will be the B10's turn to poach. Most likely they'll go after ACC schools first since they will be the low-hanging fruit. Afterwards, the remnants of the ACC and Pac will pick up most, if not all, of who is left. Obviously, our best option is the B10 financially although it will most likely end up being the ACC as a consolation prize.
You realize the ACC schools are tied up with the grant of rights till 2036 lol.

They would have to pay over 400 million to leave when pro rated. No one is leaving the ACC

Reactions: jmitch61
You realize the ACC schools are tied up with the grant of rights till 2036 lol.

They would have to pay over 400 million to leave when pro rated. No one is leaving the ACC
Not all the way true
The ACC has limited options.
They won’t be able to leave for the B1G but if ESPN wants to work something out they can pull the plug.
GOR is tied in with the ACC Network. No ACC Network No GOR. ESPN controls the ACC Network

The satellite companies are finally beginning to play ball with the ACCN. I live in South Carolina and recently switched from DirecTV to Dish. Dish required me to take the SECN and ACCN as a package deal to get ESPN. Everyone has been required to subscribe to the SECN for quite awhile. The ACCN was always optional.

That's right.

OMG are you priceless 😂. So insecure about ACC 😂. ACCept the peckin order 😂.

If WVU ends up in the Big 10, two things have happened.

1) Ohio State has gone to the SEC. Those dicks will never allow the B10 to let us in.

2) There is a CFB fire sale unlike anything we’ve ever seen. Complete destabilization into 2 conferences (B10 and SEC) and they are dividing up every significant program in the country like a swap meet.
Ohio State wouldn't be against us getting in the B1G

Reactions: WVRX and KingCoal
Ohio State has gone to the SEC. Those dicks will never allow the B10 to let us in
One of the bigger lies ever posted on the Internet. Tune into 97.1, the Fan in Columbus. I've heard multiple times on the Buckeye Show, which airs just after 6:00 p.m., that Ohio State would like the B1G to add WVU and Iowa State as members.

Reactions: HammerOfJustice
Here is who the BIG would want in an expansion

1. Notre Dame-obvious reasons
2. UNC and UVA-meets academic and land grant college status
3. WVU, Kansas, Iowa St- Kasas for BB Iowa St and WVU fits in BB Fb and other sports like Wrestling. Guys relax I see WVU in the BIG. Great fit and some natural rivalries in that conference

One of the bigger lies ever posted on the Internet. Tune into 97.1, the Fan in Columbus. I've heard multiple times on the Buckeye Show, which airs just after 6:00 p.m., that Ohio State would like the B1G to add WVU and Iowa State as members.
Ok.

As someone who lived in Ohio for a over a decade, I can definitively say that a few random fans don’t speak for the university. They have used their B10 status to look down upon WVU for decades and have relished it. They will never give that up over a few t-shirt alumni.

I know some lower/mid level boosters there. Whenever “WVU” and “Big 10” are mentioned in the same sentence, expect laughter to immediately follow. That stance permeates the spaces of import at “The” Ohio State University. Ohio State runs the B10 and only a fool would argue differently.

Acceptance is the most important step in recovery, so repeat after me….

“As long as Ohio State is a member of the Big Ten, WVU will never become a member.“

The next time you question me on this, please refer back to this post and that quote in particular.

The mods can pin this at the top of this board until The End of Days.

It.
Ain’t.
Happening.

Capiche?

I have to think if anybody would be against WVU to the B1G, it would more likely be Penn State.

The Joe Paterno era PSU? Yes.

Remember, people born the last year WVU played Penn State are going to be 30 soon.

WVU had nothing to do with ruining their Eastern Conference plan and they hate Pitt with a passion.
I think they would get a kick out of the nuclear meltdown that would ensue if they got us into the Big Ten and not Pitt. Plus we would be a relatively close away game.

All that being said, please refer to my last post. It’s liberating.

Ok.

As someone who lived in Ohio for a over a decade, I can definitively say that a few random fans don’t speak for the university. They have used their B10 status to look down upon WVU for decades and have relished it. They will never give that up over a few t-shirt alumni.

I know some lower/mid level boosters there. Whenever “WVU” and “Big 10” are mentioned in the same sentence, expect laughter to immediately follow. That stance permeates the spaces of import at “The” Ohio State University. Ohio State runs the B10 and only a fool would argue differently.

“As long as Ohio State is a member of the Big Ten, WVU will never become a member.“

The next time you question me on this, please refer back to this post and that quote in particular.

It.
Ain’t.
Happening.

Capiche?
That sounds just like a person talking that lives in North Carolina and instead of saying Ohio State and Big 10, it's UNC and ACC.

Man, we're screwed, CUSA here we come.:p

Ok.

It.
Ain’t.
Happening.

Capiche?
That's such bullsh!t. I lived in Ohio for almost two decades before moving to West Virginia three decades ago. Most Ohio State boosters didn't know anything about WVU, and certainly didn't have any animosity toward WVU. Only one school that wears a form of yellow and blue is hated in Columbus, and it ain't WVU.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
That sounds just like a person talking that lives in North Carolina and instead of saying Ohio State and Big 10, it's UNC and ACC.

Man, we're screwed, CUSA here we come.:p
The ACC is hardly a done deal but it has a chance. The difference? UNC/Duke no longer hold the throne. Clemson does and we have a great agent there in Clements.
You are comparing apples to sasquatches.

That's such bullsh!t. I lived in Ohio for almost two decades before moving to West Virginia three decades ago. Most Ohio State boosters didn't know anything about WVU, and certainly didn't have any animosity toward WVU. Only one school that wears a form of yellow and blue is hated in Columbus, and it ain't WVU.

Ok.

It.
Ain’t.
Happening.

Capiche?

• Haha
Reactions: WVUFanForever
You can post the same bullsh!t 1,000 times, but it will still be bullsh!t, "Stillers" fan. Few people in Columbus care about WVU, and even fewer have any reason to dislike the Mountaineers.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I have to think if anybody would be against WVU to the B1G, it would more likely be Penn State.
Bucky got Fraud to throw the Pitt game to get the Michigan job so they and B10 would not be humiliated by hoopie WVU for Natty and lose fake prestige forever in the Ohio River Valley…

WVU too close for comfort

Bucky got Fraud to throw the Pitt game to get the Michigan job so they and B10 would not be humiliated by hoopie WVU for Natty and lose fake prestige forever in the Ohio River Valley…

WVU too close for comfort
You go with that...when you have no real titles, ridiculous conspiracy theories will work just fine, I guess.

Reactions: Beechurst
Well then...if 97.1 said it...it must be true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT