ADVERTISEMENT

WVU's 2021 offense - there's going to be some talent there. One big question mark...

eer2000

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Now that we know that Leddie is returning...

We will have a four star RB starting, with two four-star RBs coming in to assist. (Tony Mathis, A'Varius Sparrow, Alec Sinkfield for depth?)

We will have a four star WR jumping on board, and if he is as advertised, he'll be the best WR in the room when he arrives.

We will have a four-star TE TJ Banks, platooning with Mike O'Laughlin.

On OL, we could show Zach Frazier, returning Freshman All-American, starting at center. Four-star Doug Nestor at guard. Five-star Darnell Wright coming over from Tennessee to start at tackle. Four-star Ja'Quay Hubbard could start at the other tackle. Four-star Chris Mayo could battle James Gmiter and Mike Brown to start at the other guard position. It's possible we could have Zach Frazier surrounded by four other four and five-star calibre recruit players on the line.

Then, there is the QB question mark, and it's a big one. Jarrett Doege, Garrett Greene, Goose Crowder. Crowder obviously is the underdog here, and Doege is the favorite as the returning starter. Crowder is enrolling early, so he will at least get a Spring ball under his belt in April (presuming that we do have Spring ball, which will be key for the QB battle). Crowder does look like a good one, but we'll see. He's an unknown. We now know what we have with Doege. Doege can move the ball between the 20s pretty well. Doesn't make a ton of mistakes, Army bowl game aside. Doesn't have a great deep ball, ball tends to float. Doesn't anticipate throws well like Will Grier and Geno did. He wears concrete boots. But, yes, he can put up yards -- if the WRs are willing recipients.

But, you have to feel that, with the offense we're trying to run...Garrett Greene would be a better option for this system with his wheels. Yes, it is cliche to pull for the backup QB. I used to make fun of all of the folks on here screaming for Austin Kendall, our bowl game savior, to be pulled for Doege. Hence, Doege became known as "Bill Brasky". But, you watch a jitterbug like Garrett Greene run our offense...and it's just different. For worse or for worse, Neal Brown will continue to run zone reads with Jarrett Doege. We run around 7-10 a game. And, usually Leddie is swarmed because no one believes Doege is going to run the ball. However, Greene will pull that ball and take off. I've watched very little of Greene. Perhaps he can't throw the ball? Perhaps he doesn't know the offense and can't get it? Who knows. But, I'm pulling for our own version of Doug Flutie to take the reigns this Fall. I just feel that it will be a shot in the arm, both for this somewhat stagnant offense and for our fanbase.

Bottom line is that we are doing great in recruiting and in obtaining transfers like Tony Fields and Doug Nestor who are going to help this team. We are stockpiling some talent -- I would go so far as to say that next year WVU will have more talent on the field, overall, than any other team besides Oklahoma and Texas on our schedule.

It's time to start winning. The QB question will play a big part in that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News