ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD WVU vs Ohio State

Just got a turnover and forced an uncalled travel right there on man defense. You may not agree, but OSU scored 28 in the first half then 37 in the second half. The stats back up that they figured the zone out and made bread on it far too long.

Just got a turnover and forced an uncalled travel right there on man defense. You may not agree, but OSU scored 28 in the first half then 37 in the second half. The stats back up that they figured the zone out and made bread on it far too long.
You must not be watching. We switched to zone in the first half (around the 8:30 mark) when Ohio State had already scored 22 POINTS!. Good grief. Arguing with some people is like dealing with daycare kids.

You must not be watching. We switched to zone with about 10:00 minutes in the first half when Ohio State had already scored 22 POINTS!. Good grief. Arguing with some people is like dealing with daycare kids.
I don’t disagree that the zone was extreme effective in the first half and got us back in the game. Statistically, it was not effective in the second half, which you apparently missed.

I don’t disagree that the zone was extreme effective in the first half and got us back in the game. Statistically, it was not effective in the second half, which you apparently missed.
What part of the first 12 minutes did you miss? The part where we couldn't defend them man-to-man? The fact it got us in foul trouble?

EDIT: And you made the claim that our man-to-man only gave up 28 points in the first half. That's not accurate and you damn well know it.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Josh you coached a hell of a game. you deserve accolades for this one. Glad to see some life from you. I would have went for 2 Technicals on that silly no call.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
What part of the first 12 minutes did you miss? The part where we couldn't defend them man-to-man? The fact it got us in foul trouble?

EDIT: And you made the claim that our man-to-man only gave up 28 points in the first half. That's not accurate and you damn well know it.
Do you know English? Not once did I say man to man kept them to 28 points. I also gave credit to the zone defense and its effectiveness in the first half. I said they only scored 28 points in the first half, and 37 in the second half, which is an entirely true statement. We stuck with the zone far too long, and I stand by that as well. They have open shot after open shot the entire second half and it resulted in a much higher scoring output. Reading comprehension would go a long way.

Do you know English? Not once did I say man to man kept them to 28 points. I also gave credit to the zone defense and its effectiveness in the first half. I said they only scored 28 points in the first half, and 37 in the second half, which is an entirely true statement. We stuck with the zone far too long, and I stand by that as well. They have open shot after open shot the entire second half and it resulted in a much higher scoring output. Reading comprehension would go a long way.
And how do you not understand that our man-to-man is pathetic and got us in a 22-10 hole in the first 12 minutes of the game? What makes you think that suddenly we play good enough man defense to win this?

Pardon me, but I thought WV played pretty well tonight. They've got a tough road in the Big 12, but they've got some ballers on this team

And how do you not understand that our man-to-man is pathetic and got us in a 22-10 hole in the first 12 minutes of the game? What makes you think that suddenly we play good enough man defense to win this?
The fact that it worked immediately when we FINALLY went back to it. Like I said, even if just switching back and forth would have maybe helped.

The fact that it worked immediately when we FINALLY went back to it. Like I said, even if just switching back and forth would have maybe helped.
So we should go back to doing something that wasn't working......and hasn't worked all year? Yeah, you definitely know more basketball than this coaching staff. :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: If anything, we could have maybe switched our ZONE DEFENSES. But going back to man defense, that's laughable.

So we should go back to doing something that wasn't working......and hasn't worked all year? Yeah, you definitely know more basketball than this coaching staff. :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: If anything, we could have maybe switched our ZONE DEFENSES. But going back to man defense, that's laughable.
So then I suspect, based on your theory on our defense, I can anticipate that this coaching staff will never again go back to man defense. Got it.

Whatever you say. Considering everyone calls him a guard.
I mean yes he's a "guard". But is Travis Kelce a TE? Yes, but he lines up in the slot more than he does in three point stance. I'm just saying that Farrakhan is our best guard (true guard). Battle is our best player.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I mean yes he's a "guard". But is Travis Kelce a TE? Yes, but he lines up in the slot more than he does in three point stance. I'm just saying that Farrakhan is our best guard (true guard). Battle is our best player.
I can agree with that.

So then I suspect, based on your theory on our defense, I can anticipate that this coaching staff will never again go back to man defense. Got it.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course we will go back to man defense. But after 12 minutes tonight, it was very much apparent to everyone (except you) that it was not going to be minutely effective against Ohio State.

WVU switched to zone when they were down 24-10 at the 8 minute mark. It's the reason they were only down 28-26 at the half.

We finished the game 46-46 on rebounds. Held them to 6 offensive rebounds in 2nd half. Of course that could be because they were making shots. But if WVU played man to man we lose by 20 or more.

WVU switched to zone when they were down 24-10 at the 8 minute mark. It's the reason they were only down 28-26 at the half.

We finished the game 46-46 on rebounds. Held them to 6 offensive rebounds in 2nd half. Of course that could be because they were making shots. But if WVU played man to man we lose by 20 or more.
I don’t disagree that the zone played a large part in our success in the first half. All I said was that we stuck with the zone too long. It was a poor coaching decision to stick with it as long as we did in the second half. It’s really all my original comment said. It’s fine if you or anyone disagrees. That’s the beauty of sports.

And to be equally fair, switching to zone in the first half was undoubtedly a great coaching decision.

Two of my cousins are OSU grads and we watched together. It's a travesty....

Good game though. Veryfun and exciting, tbh. Love this team and wish they would win more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT