Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
West Virginia University

Players Media Session

August 4, 2015

Practice Update 2

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (August 4, 2015) - Select members of the West Virginia University football team met with the media on Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2015, at the Milan Puskar Center Team Room.

Junior Quarterback Skyler Howard

On entering camp with the knowledge that this is your offense

I think it makes it easier going into practice knowing the guys and knowing that we have experience together. We are on the same page, so it makes it a lot easier going into practice with the same guys. It’s hard not knowing if you’re going to be thrown into the 50 percent reps with the two’s or even the scout team like I did last year. It’s easier when you know who you are going with.

On embracing his role as the leader

Naturally, when you get thrown into that position you’re going to have to become a leader if you’re not already. I always try to be that guy no matter what I’m doing. I always try to do the right thing and lead by example. I’m trying to be more vocal. I wasn’t the most vocal in the past, but I am now. I am taking on my role and making an effort to gain more respect and trust from the team.

On if the defense motivates the offense to get better

Definitely. I like coming from behind. I like not being known. All my life I have been that way. I was underrated as a quarterback coming out of high school, and that is my mentality to everything. I don’t mind it. It’s just how I live my life.

On putting together the new pieces to the puzzle for the offense

It’s coming together every day. We are evolving as an offense, as we should in this league. In the Big 12, you have to evolve or you will be left behind.

On how coach Dana Holgorsen determines what works best with his skill set

A hands-on approach. All the decision making is his in that aspect. He knows my ability, and I know my ability. What he says goes, and I just do what I’m told.

Redshirt Junior Offensive Lineman Tyler Orlosky

On what changes when redshirt freshman quarterback William Crest Jr. is on the field
I haven’t had too many reps with Will on the field, but we have to be more aware. He does not have quite as good of an understanding of the offense as Skyler does. Once again, his athleticism helps him out a lot of the time. He is a real athletic kid.

On how the well the offensive line has meshed together over the offseason

We have good continuity between the five of us and the 15 that are actually on the roster. Coach (Ron) Crook does a good job of bringing us together with cookouts and things of that nature. We always work out every day at the same time together, so I think we have done a really good job of strengthening the continuity between us.

On the assets that make junior quarterback Skyler Howard a good quarterback

He wants to get better. He is always watching film and trying to get better. He is always trying to have a better understanding of the offense. On the field, it’s obviously his legs. His legs can really bail him out of a situation. He trusts what’s going on around him. He trusts his receivers. He trusts us up front to do our job.

On how improved the defense looks

They have improved. I think there are 10 returning starters on the defense, so you have guys that have played a lot of games. They buy into what coach (Tony) Gibson says on that side of the ball, and they do a real good job. There should be no reason on why they shouldn’t be the best defense in the Big 12.

On his biggest improvement over the offseason

I think trust was a big one. Last year, we had some ups and downs with some of the guys we had out there, but now I think I trust everyone that is out there.

Junior Wide Receiver Daikiel Shorts

On working with junior quarterback Skyler Howard and getting him acclimated with the offense

Things are pretty good. There’s still a lot of room to improve and for us to get better. Being on the same page is a big part of the game.

On junior quarterback Skyler Howard’s timing with the wide receivers

Oh yeah, definitely. Even if he doesn’t, he’s just a good guy to talk to after the play. You let him know what you think, and he’ll tell you what he thinks, and we will work on it.

On how his timing has progressed between the off season and now with junior quarterback Skyler Howard

Our timing is progressing pretty well. There’s still a lot of room to improve, but we are going to get there.

On being the tallest wide receiver on the team and potentially a target in the red zone

I don’t know if it will make me a target, but I would like to be a red zone target this year.

Redshirt Senior Cornerback Terrell Chestnut

On his excitement for the new season

Yeah, definitely. After going through nine months of weight training and getting ready to come out here to compete for the championship, it’s always exciting to get out there on the field.

On a lot of guys coming back with experience under their belt

I think it will help us a lot. Everybody knows what it takes to win. We had some success on this side of the ball last year, and I think it’s all about getting out there and getting better at what we do. We’re all hungry. We’ve all struggled at one point, so to finally be at this point where we have the chemistry is not satisfying, but it’s pleasing.

On senior safety Karl Joseph’s leadership

He’ll be vocal when he has to be, but he’s more of a lead by example kind of guy, and we appreciate everything he does because he really gets us going.

On his biggest improvement throughout the offseason

I would say trying to improve my durability. I’ve been working on my flexibility, and I put on some weight. I’m trying to become a better leader.

On his thoughts of his final season

Yeah, it came fast, and I was just thinking about the first year that I came in here, and here I am five years later. It went by so fast, but I’ll make the best of it.

On the most important thing he took out of camp

You will definitely learn where we are as a team early on. We’ll find out when the younger guys come in. At this point, I know it’s a lot right now. I know it’s a lot thrown at them right now and their heads are going in circles, but I know we’ll figure out what kind of depth we have.

Senior Safety KJ Dillon

On showing his emotions on the field

I like to go out there and have fun. I fly around and get everybody in the mood. I go make plays, and just have fun playing football. I guess I take on the role with hyping everybody up, but that’s what I do.

On if his emotions came from when he was younger

I think so, because I’ve just always been excited to play football. Every time I step out on the field I take it as a blessing and an opportunity. Why not go all out and have fun with it? I want to make everybody else have fun.

On the overall football experience

This is the second year that we are able to do everything twice with the same unit. We have 10 returners who are starters, so that’s good. I don’t think anybody has ever had that. A lot of guys play football. I think (senior safety) Karl (Joseph) is coming up with a couple thousand snaps, so I have a lot of snaps underneath my belt. The other guys have a lot of snaps too, so we have a lot of experience out there. A lot of guys know what they’re doing, so that’s always a good thing.

On senior safety Karl Joseph’s ability to play football

I wouldn’t put it past him, that’s Karl Joseph. You know he gets it done. He’s been a vet since he’s stepped on campus this year, so that’s what he does. He plays a lot of snaps, and he takes advantage of every snap.

On how KJ Dillon and Karl Joseph play together on the field

I look over there, and he’ll look at me, and we just nod. Everyone’s on the same page. When we have to be on the same level, I’ll look at him, and he’ll look at me, and we’ll just say okay. We don’t even have to talk that much anymore. We’re always on the same page. We’re rarely on different pages, so that’s always good.

Redshirt Senior Linebacker Jared Barber

On if the defense has a lot to prove this season

We definitely have a lot to prove. The four, now going on five years that I have been here, we obviously didn’t have the best defensive team. I think the mental toughness and the mental maturity that we have from the guys that are coming back is going to separate us from the previous teams since I been here.

On how much a year of experience is worth with the defense

The guys have been in the system. We played the defense in the Big 12. We know what coach (Tony) Gibson expects from us. We know what we have to do week in and week out to get the win. Experience is definitely something we are going to take advantage of.

On the biggest difference he has seen since the addition of assistant coach (defense line) Bruce Tall

He is a very technical guy. He works the players to death. We will be standing over there as linebackers and the defensive line is down there drilling the whole time. (Redshirt senior defensive lineman) Kyle Rose will come back and be dead tired. They are working those guys. He is a hell of a coach. He gets a lot of respect from his players. He demands respect, and he gets it. He is making them so much better.

On the technical differences

I don’t focus on their technique too much, but I know they are playing a lot harder than they have been. Like I said earlier, he has high demands and expectations for those guys. They are playing at a high level right now.

On the importance of turnovers and drawing a balance between playing aggressive and trying to capitalize on turnovers

I think it comes down to being able to play hard and fast. You can say we focus on turnovers. We obviously need more turnovers than last year. I think we were 119th in the country, which isn’t going to get it done. I think if you play hard and play fast with relentless effort then turnovers will happen. I think you create your own luck by that relentless effort toward the ball.

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News