ADVERTISEMENT

WVU needs a potful of miracles

If Georgia would beat Bama....Bama would still go ahead of Michigan.

Last edited:
LOL. Once again their is no fixing stupid (you). You posted that Michigan controlled there own destiny while calling another poster a dumbass. I just pointed out why Michigan does not control its own destiny. If you can not understand my post, perhaps you can get a refund for that high dollar education.

Michigan does control their destiny but that’s debatable dipshit. Just because you see it different doesn’t make it so moron. If Michigan wins out they’ll be in playoff no matter what happens in the SEC IMO. My post was about was WVU not controlling their own destiny. You’re such a F’n turd.

I went to Pitt and CMU. Both rated considerably higher academically than WVU(if you actually even went to college).

Michigan does control their destiny but that’s debatable dipshit. Just because you see it different doesn’t make it so moron. If Michigan wins out they’ll be in playoff no matter what happens in the SEC IMO. My post was about was WVU not controlling their own destiny. You’re such a F’n turd.

I went to Pitt and CMU. Both rated considerably higher academically than WVU(if you actually even went to college).
LOL seriously maybe you have a case for a law suit cause you sure didn't learn anything.

If Georgia, Clemson, Michigan and Notre Dame win out, a one loss Alabama would get in over Michigan. So Michigan does not control their own destiny in that scenario. While your posts is about how WVU does not control their own destiny you stated a false example of UM controlling theirs. In calling me a Moron, F'n stupid, and F'n turd you have highlighted your inability to be told you are wrong and unwillingness to learn and progress. Congrats on your expensive education but really it does not appear you learned how to think critically which is a failure by both institutions and yourself.

Last edited:
PLAYOFF RANKINGS
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Michigan
5. Georgia
6. Oklahoma
7. LSU
8. Washington State
9. West Virginia

The main hope for WVU getting in, if the Mountaineers win the Big 12 title and have an 11-1 record, is college football’s strong suit: Unpredictability.

Because what "experts" think will happen doesn’t give WVU much of a path to the Football Final Four.

This doesn’t take into consideration conference title games, which might help WVU more than what’s left of the regular season.

Alabama would have to demolish Georgia Dec. 1 to help WVU. Auburn, UMass and Georgia Tech certainly aren’t likely to beat the Bulldogs.

Oklahoma State and Kansas aren’t likely to derail Oklahoma. WVU will have to do it face-to-face. Twice.

LSU has Arkansas, Rice and Texas A&M. Not very hopeful there.

Notre Dame has Florida State, Syracuse and Southern Cal. Sure hope the Orange have a good game. Otherwise the Irish’s pansy schedule, other than Michigan, will keep ND unbeaten.

Washington State, STILL ahead of WVU for some reason, has Colorado, Arizona and Washington. Maybe Rich’s son, Rhett, the Arizona QB, can help his dad’s former WVU team with an upset? Probably not.

Again, the best bet: College football’s unpredictability. As Dana keeps saying, WVU needs to just keep winning the next game and the next game and the next game. Then we’ll see what happens to the rest of the college football world.

Climbing from #9 to #4 is a really, really talk mountain to climb. WVU can only win out. But it still will need a ton of help from other teams who aren't expected to upset teams ranked above the Mountaineers.

We'll see. It's not over till you see the final scoreboard score.

Assuming WVU wins out This is how I feel it plays out:

1. Based on remaining SOS WVU wins out they jump WaZu, Biggest factor is the Conference Championship game (CFP). WVU is likely to have to beat a top 15 Texas or OU team, Wazu has to beat an unranked possibly not very good ASU team - (WVU moves to 8th).

2. No way a two lost LSU team that does not win its division or pay in CCG stays ahead of a 1 lost WVU team especially after beating OSU, OU, and most likely a top 15 or higher OU or Texas again - (WVU moves to 7th)

3. WVU beats OU, moves OU down - (WVU moves to 6th)

4. BAMA beats GA in SEC CCG moves GA down and WVU TO 5th

5a. Based on who they have left, A Clemson or ND loss moves that team down and WVU to 4th
or
5b. A MeChicken loss to any team not named Ahia State moves WVU to 4th
or
5c. A MeChicken loss to Ahai State while Ahai state wins out will be a tough call, but based on full remaining SOS including CCG and assuming the CFP Commettee does not once again change standards on picking top 4, ) WVU should stay ahead of Ahia State based on total SOS and the fact that BIGs opponent in the CCG is an average at best North Western team), keeps WVU ahead of ahia state

So all and all, if WVU takes care of business and wins out, they only need 1 additional top 4 loss (not Alabam)

Last edited:
Reactions: spartansstink
The whole thing is subject to the whims of a clearly biased committee looking to pull the biggest paycheck possible for the networks. No team truly controls their own destiny in this because the selection criteria is subjective. The stated goal is the pull the "best" 4 teams. If Bama, Clemson or ND get beat the selection criteria to determine "best" will begin to shift. It will be more about "eye test" and non-quantifiable criteria. They will find a way to get at least 3 of 4 marquee brands in the playoff. Look who is ahead and directly below WVU. Bama, Clemson, Mich, ND, LSU, Georgia, OKL, OSU. In a year like this WVU or Wash have to go undefeated to have a chance. Just ask TCU and Baylor. We had a better shot under the BCS system of being top 2 than we do in the current of being top 4.

The path is there... but it's fairly remote.

First, we need Oklahoma to win out until our match.
Second, we need Texass to win out, for two reasons. One a win over a likely top 15 team looks good on the resume; second, it makes our loss to ISU look more like a fluke.

We win out, and beat either OU or UT in the championship game it really strengthens our resume with wins over 2 or 3 top 15 teams, one of which twice.

Here is where it gets tricky...

Bama/Georgia get in. The belief that Bama gets in no matter what is wrong - no matter how much one wants to say it. Say Bama loses to Georgia in the SECCG, everybody else moves up one spot - say Clemson-1, ND-2, UM-3, Georgia-4 or some similar order- that puts Bama at best 5th and on the outside looking in. While others on here claim otherwise, they won't mention who Bama knocks out and why.

Clemson's getting in - although they are the weakest of the top 4 teams. There is nobody on their schedule they've played this year who should even be ranked in the top 25 - no matter how many times the press tries to make some run-of-the-mill team like Boston College or Syracuse into a top 25 ranked team only to lose the next week to a 3 or 4 win team like Wake Forest. Their toughest challenge will be Pitt - and that should say it all. If Bama is getting in (and they should) Clemson is the team that should be bumped.

Notre Dame is in - easy schedule left combined with an undefeated season and a media darling to boot. They aren't getting bumped out. Notre Dame doesn't have the toughest schedule either, but do hold that win over Michigan.

Michigan is in if they beat OSU and Northwestern - which they likely will. Their only loss will be to Notre Dame in week one. Add to that solid wins and a win over OSU, they are in even over us due to a perceived tougher schedule.

The only way in for WVU? For OSU to beat Michigan or Northwestern to get them later. Otherwise, the best finish for WVU would be 5th but more likely 6th behind Bama/Georgia loser.

I think we both agree the top 4 are in if they win out

Here are a few points we disagree on.

1. Because Texas already has 3 losses, WVU does not need them to win out. Should TexA$$ lose another game, WVU would play a 2 loss top12 OU team in the CCG

2. The way the CFP Committee has worked in the past, Bama is in unless they t totally blown out by GA. Case in point, 2017 Bama team didn't even win their division let alone the SEC CCG and they still made the playoffs

3. The CFP has already proven their love of Ahia State. If they win out, WVU would have to worry about them CFP moving them into the 4th spot.

What's with all the nasty personal attacks? It makes you guys sound like political candidates and we know what a mark on your soul that is. Just the facts about my alma mater, please!

Fact: Alabama will be in the Football Final Four, unbeaten or with 1 loss, so forget that scenario.

We need the Tide to wash away Georgia from WVU's sight.

Just follow my scenario and all will be right in Mountaineer Nation. Big 12 title by beating Iowa State and avenging the one loss. Football Final Four. Hell, while I'm dreaming, a 1-point victory over Alabama on the way to the national title, the first since 1922 when an unbeaten WVU team under Doc Spears won the precursor to the Rose Bowl, the East-West Classic!!!!

And then the funeral of an 86-year-old with a smile on his face lying in the casket!!!!

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E rectile dysfunctioned Texas on 2-point PAT, 42-41

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Reactions: still5-0vstarheels
I think we both agree the top 4 are in if they win out

Here are a few points we disagree on.

1. Because Texas already has 3 losses, WVU does not need them to win out. Should TexA$$ lose another game, WVU would play a 2 loss top12 OU team in the CCG

2. The way the CFP Committee has worked in the past, Bama is in unless they t totally blown out by GA. Case in point, 2017 Bama team didn't even win their division let alone the SEC CCG and they still made the playoffs

3. The CFP has already proven their love of Ahia State. If they win out, WVU would have to worry about them CFP moving them into the 4th spot.

1. I see your point but at the same time see it as a double-edged sword. Right now, Texass is ranked ahead of Iowa State. A win-out means UT moves up in the polls, potentially top 12ish. 3 wins against top 12 competition will look real good on the WVU resume, especially against OSU if it comes down to that. On the other hand, if ISU wins, that likely drops the shorthorns out of the top 25 completely, lessening our good win total but makes our loss look more palatable. I guess it will depend on what the committee looks more favorably toward. I just believe it will be the former rather than the latter - top 15, brand name, etc.

2. Totally agree with you normally. But, THIS year is different. There are a slew of blue-bloods fighting for those 4 spots, and then us and Wazzou. Clemson and ND have the easiest track in, but are also the weakest two teams I feel. But, being undefeated gets them in on name alone even though the ACC is about as strong as the AAC and ND hasn't played anyone but Michigan. Michigan wins out they are in - can't leave a blue-blood like them out (they've probably have played the toughest schedule of the top 4). If Georgia beats them, how can you leave them out? There's your top 4 - how do you justify tossing out 2 undefeated programs and two conference winners to put Bama in - who just lost to one of them?

3. Agree totally with you. Right now, we are ranked higher. That's why I think we need UT to win out, beat OU maybe twice, and hope beyond hope that's enough. Even then, it may not be.

LOL seriously maybe you have a case for a law suit cause you sure didn't learn anything.

If Georgia, Clemson, Michigan and Notre Dame win out, a one loss Alabama would get in over Michigan. So Michigan does not control their own destiny in that scenario. While your posts is about how WVU does not control their own destiny you stated a false example of UM controlling theirs. In calling me a Moron, F'n stupid, and F'n turd you have highlighted your inability to be told you are wrong and unwillingness to learn and progress. Congrats on your expensive education but really it does not appear you learned how to think critically which is a failure by both institutions and yourself.

Again moron this was about WVU haha. Dude did you actually go to college. You can’t even stay on task. WVU doesn’t control their destiny. Your jibberish is irrelevant. Trying to make your opinion about a one loss Bama or Michigan a fact is downright hilarious. Please keep going and I’ll keep reminding you the point was about WVU. Look in the mirror and punch that turd staring at you.

Again moron this was about WVU haha. Dude did you actually go to college. You can’t even stay on task. WVU doesn’t control their destiny. Your jibberish is irrelevant. Trying to make your opinion about a one loss Bama or Michigan a fact is downright hilarious. Please keep going and I’ll keep reminding you the point was about WVU. Look in the mirror and punch that turd staring at you.
Yes your point was about WVU not controlling their destiny and you said Michigan controls its destiny, which is wrong. If you post something that is wrong it is wrong. Pitt boy once again shows his inability to think critically. Sad

Yes your point was about WVU not controlling their destiny and you said Michigan controls its destiny, which is wrong. If you post something that is wrong it is wrong. Pitt boy once again shows his inability to think critically. Sad

Look guys goofball thinks WVU controls their own destiny. Goofball moved the goal posts on this thread to simply argue. So if Bama, Clemson, ND and Michigan win out apparently you think the Committee will move another team ahead of ND or Michigan. Bringing Georgia into the conversation contradicts the “concept”
of controlling your own destiny. If those 4 teams win out there’s your playoff goofball. Those 4 teams control their own destiny. I went to Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. Again you move the goal posts on that fact too haha.

Look guys goofball thinks WVU controls their own destiny. Goofball moved the goal posts on this thread to simply argue. So if Bama, Clemson, ND and Michigan win out apparently you think the Committee will move another team ahead of ND or Michigan. Bringing Georgia into the conversation contradicts the “concept”
of controlling your own destiny. If those 4 teams win out there’s your playoff goofball. Those 4 teams control their own destiny. I went to Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. Again you move the goal posts on that fact too haha.
If Georgia wins out then they are in and one of the four teams you say control their own destiny is out. Likely Michigan since they lost to ND. WVU does not control their own destiny just like Michigan does not. I never said WVU controls their destiny. You are a fine example of a failed education. The simplicity of a this point is totally lost on you.

Make no mistake about it a 1 one loss Bama team 100% gets into the playoff. No matter where or when that loss comes. Anyone thinking different is laughable.

Anyone that thinks a one loss Bama team doesn’t get into playoffs under every circumstance is dumb.

Bama, Clemson, ND and Michigan control their own destiny. Figure out what “controlling your own destiny” means dumbass.

LOL Pitt troll

If Georgia wins out then they are in and one of the four teams you say control their own destiny is out. Likely Michigan since they lost to ND. WVU does not control their own destiny just like Michigan does not. I never said WVU controls their destiny. You are a fine example of a failed education. The simplicity of a this point is totally lost on you.

LOL Pitt troll

You’re so stupid you don’t realize you moved the goal posts haha. That’s a completely different discussion. I’ve moved you down this track because I wanted you to post what you just posted haha. You sir are a dummy.

The original reply I gave was because some lame brain said WVU controlled their own destiny. Because I’ve bruised you up in the past you created this narrative about Georgia like it’s not obvious they control their own destiny. You have to assume Bama would still be in(probably) but none of your jibberish matters to anyone LOL.

I pulled those 5-0 strings like a pro. Still the puppet.

You’re so stupid you don’t realize you moved the goal posts haha. That’s a completely different discussion. I’ve moved you down this track because I wanted you to post what you just posted haha. You sir are a dummy.

The original reply I gave was because some lame brain said WVU controlled their own destiny. Because I’ve bruised you up in the past you created this narrative about Georgia like it’s not obvious they control their own destiny. You have to assume Bama would still be in(probably) but none of your jibberish matters to anyone LOL.

I pulled those 5-0 strings like a pro. Still the puppet.
LOL Pitt troll.

If we win out....

We will jump LSU and Washington....moves up to 7
We would have beaten OU...so up to 6
Bama beats Georgia in the SEC title game....moves up to 5

To me this is where it gets tricky...a one-loss Bama, Clemson and Notre Dame will stay in front of us.

Michigan will too and if osu beats Michigan, they would jump us.

I dont see a path for WVU.

IMO,
If Clemson loses to Pitt in ACC championship game, they wont get in over 1 loss WVU B12 winner w/b2b wins over OU.

IMO,
If Clemson loses to Pitt in ACC championship game, they wont get in over 1 loss WVU B12 winner w/b2b wins over OU.

Probably not over Oklahoma but probably over WVU. For some reason Washington St and a 2 loss LSU is in front of WVU.

LOL band geek
You know a troll is throwing up the white flag when they pull out the "band geek" or "puppet on a string" statement. Thanks again for making all of us WVU alumni appreciate the value we received by graduating from WVU verses the high dollar schools up north.

You know a troll is throwing up the white flag when they pull out the "band geek" or "puppet on a string" statement. Thanks again for making all of us WVU alumni appreciate the value we received by graduating from WVU verses the high dollar schools up north.
still5, why do you continually pick on Greg? He's obviously one of the more informed sports minds that posts on this forum. Instead of nit-picking, you should read and digest his takes. I think it would do you some good, possibly even enhancing your scope of what's going on in the world of sports.

still5, why do you continually pick on Greg? He's obviously one of the more informed sports minds that posts on this forum. Instead of nit-picking, you should read and digest his takes. I think it would do you some good, possibly even enhancing your scope of what's going on in the world of sports.
LOL now calling him informed is almost as truthful as you saying you are not a Marshall fan. Greg has call 3 or four posters in this thread dummies, morons or stupid. You manage a 1000 people, so is that the way you pass on information? LOL

LOL now calling him informed is almost as truthful as you saying you are not a Marshall fan. Greg has call 3 or four posters in this thread dummies, morons or stupid. You manage a 1000 people, so is that the way you pass on information? LOL
You can learn quite a bit from me as well. Take time to carefully read, and digest takes. You'll be thankful in the end. Not a marshall fan, but yes, we have a very large organization here at the grind. Getting ready for quite the workload shortly, with the NCAA conference championship games and eventually the playoffs coming up.

You can learn quite a bit from me as well. Take time to carefully read, and digest takes. You'll be thankful in the end. Not a marshall fan, but yes, we have a very large organization here at the grind. Getting ready for quite the workload shortly, with the NCAA conference championship games and eventually the playoffs coming up.
I often learn from those that know less than me. Had any good beers lately?

LOL at the dumb geek reaching out for reinforcements. You’re an intellectual midget and a stain to smart WVU graduates.

LOL at the dumb geek reaching out for reinforcements. You’re an intellectual midget and a stain to smart WVU graduates.
Thanks for reinforcing my opinion of your low IQ. Can not admit when you are wrong so call me names. LOL Pitt troll

I often learn from those that know less than me. Had any good beers lately?
I live in Michigan. Therefore, I always have good beers. 4 new breweries opening up soon, so that makes about 25 different ones within 10-30 minutes from my house. Liver will be on life support before long.

I live in Michigan. Therefore, I always have good beers. 4 new breweries opening up soon, so that makes about 25 different ones within 10-30 minutes from my house. Liver will be on life support before long.
That is about how many I drive by to get home. I never realized that Michigan had such a good beer scene until I went up for the national homebrew convention. Greenbush Brewery was my favorite that we went to.

What's with all the nasty personal attacks? It makes you guys sound like political candidates and we know what a mark on your soul that is. Just the facts about my alma mater, please!

Fact: Alabama will be in the Football Final Four, unbeaten or with 1 loss, so forget that scenario.

We need the Tide to wash away Georgia from WVU's sight.

Just follow my scenario and all will be right in Mountaineer Nation. Big 12 title by beating Iowa State and avenging the one loss. Football Final Four. Hell, while I'm dreaming, a 1-point victory over Alabama on the way to the national title, the first since 1922 when an unbeaten WVU team under Doc Spears won the precursor to the Rose Bowl, the East-West Classic!!!!

And then the funeral of an 86-year-old with a smile on his face lying in the casket!!!!

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E rectile dysfunctioned Texas on 2-point PAT, 42-41

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Stop trying to write history....
WV did not play in the precursor to the Rose Bowl in 1922.
They played in another Bowl game on the West Coast in SD.

Your manipulation of facts makes you look like a second rate journalist and with the bevy of information at one's fingertips you can be quickly disproven.

I have proved you wrong once and will do it again.

Rose Bowl was played starting in 1901 when Fielding Yost took his Michigan Wolverines west to play Stanford.

The city of Pasadena was founded by old Midwest money from places like Detroit and Chicago.
The Wrigley family owned a vacation house there
This is why the Rose Bowl for most years has been a PAC vs B1G game

The only time the Rose Bowl has ever been played outside of Pasadena was when they played it in Durham NC because of WW2
Pasadena is the Rose Bowl because of the Rose Bowl Parade
Started by the families of Midwesterns vacationing in Southern California for New Years Day.

1922 Rose Bowl
January 2, 1922 California 0 Washington & Jefferson 0

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_Rose_Bowl

Stop trying to write history....

Your manipulation of facts makes you look like a second rate journalist and with the bevy of information at one's fingertips you can be quickly disproven.

I have proved you wrong once and will do it again.

Rose Bowl was played starting in 1901 when Fielding Yost took his Michigan Wolverines west to play Stanford.

The city of Pasadena was founded by old Midwest money from places like Detroit and Chicago.
The Wrigley family owned a vacation house there
This is why the Rose Bowl for most years has been a PAC vs B1G game

The only time the Rose Bowl has ever been played outside of Pasadena was when they played it in Durham NC because of WW2
Pasadena is the Rose Bowl because of the Rose Bowl Parade
Started by the families of Midwesterns vacationing in Southern California for New Years Day.

1922 Rose Bowl
January 2, 1922 California 0 Washington & Jefferson 0

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_Rose_Bowl

OK, you want a history lesson, here it is:

The1921 Rose Bowl, known at the time as theTournament East-West Football Game, was a college footballbowl gameplayed on January 1, 1921 atTournament ParkinPasadena, California. It was the seventhRose Bowl Game. The 1922 Rose Bowl also was known as the Tournament East-West Football Game and WVU won it. The 1923 Rose Bowl was the FIRST one called the Rose Bowl Game and NOT the East-West Football Game. Then the Rose Bowl retroactively claimed the pre-1923 games as "Rose Bowl" games because they were played in the Rose Bowl. So the 1922 WVU victory WAS in a precursor to the Rose Bowl. Look it up so you don't look so stupid. Those of us with WVU degrees are smarter than that. You were quickly disproven. Even the Rose Bowl provides that information.

The sporting world will not allow a WV team into the playoff (final four) even if they win out. Any four teams with a single loss will be ranked ahead of the Mountaineers. It ain't right but this is true. College football is a BUSINESS these days. Warez

The sporting world will not allow a WV team into the playoff (final four) even if they win out. Any four teams with a single loss will be ranked ahead of the Mountaineers. It ain't right but this is true. College football is a BUSINESS these days. Warez
Totally disagree. If WVU wins out and UM or ND lose WVU is in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT