ADVERTISEMENT

WVU-GS line -- not exactly an initial ringing endorsement

I would still feel pretty comfortable taking Ga Southern at the 19 point line. At 31 I would have put a bunch of money down. I think we win this game but it won't be easy.

31 is probably too high for any opponent not named Marshall........ If WVU gets up 24, Chugs is coming in with DTW and the newbs...

Doesnt GA State run a Navy/GA Tech Style Ball Control Offense with the wishbone? Chances are there will not be a lot of possessions in this game, especially if the tackling and gap responsibilityis off a little with our defense. 31 pts was a gift and waaaaay high imo. I mean really 31 pts?

WVU actually lost to Navy back in the 90s because of the limited possessions that this offense gives..

Seems Vegas isn't buying into Dana being the offensive genius. Bryles at Baylor lost a lot on offense including a QB and is ranked fourth in the nation Patterson at TCU lost half a defense and is ranked second. We aren't supposed to beat a team two years removed from Division 2 football by more than 20? I'm not saying we will or we won't (Because just as soon as you think you have Dana figured out good or bad he jumps the shark), but if we cant beat GSU by 20 I have to wonder if we have the tools for any success in conference.
This is not Bill Stewart, Dana likes laying a thumping on these mid-major schools to get people talking. If we don't beat them by 25 or more its because we can't!

Seems Vegas isn't buying into Dana being the offensive genius. Bryles at Baylor lost a lot on offense including a QB and is ranked fourth in the nation Patterson at TCU lost half a defense and is ranked second. We aren't supposed to beat a team two years removed from Division 2 football by more than 20? I'm not saying we will or we won't (Because just as soon as you think you have Dana figured out good or bad he jumps the shark), but if we cant beat GSU by 20 I have to wonder if we have the tools for any success in conference.
This is not Bill Stewart, Dana likes laying a thumping on these mid-major schools to get people talking. If we don't beat them by 25 or more its because we can't!

Boy, it's almost as if you don't know that Vegas sets the line to attract betters or something............. Can't say I'm surprised about your unwillingness to actually take a stance though............. it allows for flip flopping much easier

And for the record, you're talking about a Georgia Southern team that took a 10-win Georgia Tech program to the final minute last season........

That's the reason I THINK we will beat them by more than 20. When defending the option the d-line isn't as important as linebackers and corners who can come down hill and lay a thumping on the ball carrier. Those are our best positions on the field. We may only score 28 points and still win by 20.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I'll be happy to win by 10+ points. But if things click we very well could blow 'em out.

And I think that is what happens. We either blow them off the field (especially in the second half) or we do enough to put up a double digit win in the end.

If we can beat these guys by 19 we can beat them by 28.

If we can beat these guys by 19 we can beat them by 28.

Brilliant logic.

Using it (and believe me....it's painful) if they can hang within 19 then they can get as close as 10.

....but then you'd still be happy.

but if we cant beat GSU by 20 I have to wonder if we have the tools for any success in conference.

They went 9-3 last year. Lost 24-23 to NC State. 42-38 to G Tech. Their only bad loss was to Navy, 52-19. They drilled a bunch of teams and only had two close wins.

An average losing margin of < 3 points to their only P5 opponents should tell you more about them than the number of years they've been in FBS does.

yep the line is nothing but the betting public's perception on the game. is intended to get people who bet to bet.

that said, I'd like to be on the good side of the line of course and we will. it still somewhat predicts winners. I think this time last year Alabama was favored heavily. 20 or more. while that didn't happen, it still picked correctly the double digit winner. unless one has financial stakes in the spread, who cares?

I think Ga South game will be closer than 19. that line may shift come gameday.

betting notwithstanding, I'll take a 1-point win. getting Ws instead of Ls will be all that matters this season.

Fact is til you see what you have step on the field you don't know what you have. I'm fairly confident in the defense being good enough to hold their own. But we've seen what this offense looks like with a bunch of first year players. It's possible we can't even score 19 points. And to me equally possible that we score 60. My hope lies in the fact that a lot of these kids on offense have been redshirted and they don't have to learn on the fly like previous teams. That's the part that leaves me on the fence. As usual how far this team goes rests on the QB. And to this point he has had just as many wtf moments as he has shining moments.
As for the flip flopping quote, Keaton it wasn't too long ago you were on here saying we were as bad as Pitt. and the records proved it. I'd say my state of mind is just as middle of the road as Dana's coaching. Sometimes it's up others it's down. But for the most part I just don't see his actual coaching being that much better than the man he replaced. I'd think for the money we are paying him we could do better. Doesn't stop me from cheering on the Mountaineers.
and as I recall when everyone was screaming he's finally rounded the corner I was one of the few who said wait til November. The same November where we flatlined and got our teeth kicked in.
Also said if we played A&M we'd loose by 30 way before the bowl game. Didn't miss by much.
And I put my prediction for the season on here for all to see. Even the inevitable loss in a bowl.

I lived in coastal Georgia for 22 years and Georgia Southern is not weak as some think. They have given UGA fits on occasion and they beat Florida. Another thing in their favor is that their fans despise Marshall from their Southern Conference days.

I'm not going to give all four 'Early 5 Star' wagers because they're from a premium website........but I will share one from Big Frank.

"WVU will not only cover the current spread but also the opening line"

Fact is til you see what you have step on the field you don't know what you have. I'm fairly confident in the defense being good enough to hold their own. But we've seen what this offense looks like with a bunch of first year players. It's possible we can't even score 19 points. And to me equally possible that we score 60. My hope lies in the fact that a lot of these kids on offense have been redshirted and they don't have to learn on the fly like previous teams. That's the part that leaves me on the fence. As usual how far this team goes rests on the QB. And to this point he has had just as many wtf moments as he has shining moments.
As for the flip flopping quote, Keaton it wasn't too long ago you were on here saying we were as bad as Pitt. and the records proved it. I'd say my state of mind is just as middle of the road as Dana's coaching. Sometimes it's up others it's down. But for the most part I just don't see his actual coaching being that much better than the man he replaced. I'd think for the money we are paying him we could do better. Doesn't stop me from cheering on the Mountaineers.
and as I recall when everyone was screaming he's finally rounded the corner I was one of the few who said wait til November. The same November where we flatlined and got our teeth kicked in.
Also said if we played A&M we'd loose by 30 way before the bowl game. Didn't miss by much.
And I put my prediction for the season on here for all to see. Even the inevitable loss in a bowl.

Didn't miss by much? We lost by 8...I'd say you missed by a ton

I'm gonna go on record and predict we don't cover the 19 point spread. GaSouthern is a good team and has played well against power 5 teams. They have a ball control offense. It's going to be like 27-14 or 27-17 WVU. Just a prediction and maybe I'll be way off- just feel like we will have some trouble with them.

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id...es-ohio-state-buckeyes-popular-bets-win-title

-- go to the bottom of this story.

WVU's still 19-point favorites at the one booking house, but nearly everyone thought the initial 31-point spread was way too high and threw down on it.

5 Dimes line is down to 18.5 today. If it keeps dropping and we get through camp injury free I am all in this game. Make or break the bank opening day!

I get the feeling that the guys in Vegas have seen Ga. Southern play a bit more than you. To rehash, it took a near miracle 4th quarter comeback by NC State to beat them last year. Two yeats ago they beat Florida. They are not to be taken lightly. My sense is the first half is a tight one and the debbie downers on here will be licking their chops. In the second half we likely wear them down and win by 20.

Brilliant logic.

Using it (and believe me....it's painful) if they can hang within 19 then they can get as close as 10.

....but then you'd still be happy.

Of course you completely ignore the context in which I said that. And I know it's painful for you to actually pay attention to a broader context than yourself.

I clearly said that I expected us to either blow them out or do just enough to win and the comment that you quoted is perfectly reasonable in that context.

Now it's your turn to generate another self-congratulatory post. Make it a good one. Because I doubt that I'll pay any attention to it.

Of course you completely ignore the context in which I said that. And I know it's painful for you to actually pay attention to a broader context than yourself.

I clearly said that I expected us to either blow them out or do just enough to win and the comment that you quoted is perfectly reasonable in that context.

Now it's your turn to generate another self-congratulatory post. Make it a good one. Because I doubt that I'll pay any attention to it.

If it was so clear....then why waste the time to explain it again ? You didn't do it for my benefit (because you can barely pay any attention to my replies)...but rather to clarify (attempt to rationalize an illogical thought) for other people who may read your post and laugh. ....and most did.

It'll be close or it won't be....lol. Talk about giving yourself easy bragging rights about predicting the outcome when we win....

Make no mistake....your recent posting history shows you pay attention to each and every word I type.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT