ADVERTISEMENT

WVU football as independent

doctom4

All-American
Aug 4, 2006
- With the Big XII on seemingly shaky ground after refusing to expand football members, and the likelihood of the ACC accepting WVU being next to zero for marketing (Pitt already has the market) and academic reasons (at least that was the excuse before VPI was accepted thanks to political manuevering), it's time that we look at the possibility of life as an independent again.

- OU and TX are going to end up somewhere else in the future. I think if that's the lesson that we take from the refusal to add teams, that is it.

- ND has reluctantly become a part member of first the Big East and then the ACC. And while this has worked moderately well for them, I suspect they'd rather be an independent. And this would not be a bad thing. While we can't guarantee a playoff as an independent, a perfect regular season is almost impossible to keep a team out of the top four. BYU this year has demonstrated that it can certainly schedule its way into elite status by playing literally the toughest schedule around. If OU and TX and maybe one of the others bolt, there would still be 5 or 6 ex-Big XII teams to play most likely and then you have BYU, ND, and Army and UMass as independents looking for spots to fill. Also, I can't imagine alumni of schools such as Maryland and Rutgers tolerating losing big in the Big 10 for long. And then there are the current contracts non-league that have to be honored...

- Being an independent has been frowned on; but it's not so bad. We don't have to share TV money and given that the number of independents is likely to increase - not decrease - we're likely to have a pretty decent set of schedules. Then we're back to where we were in 1989 - just having to play well on the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 96Herdgrad
- With the Big XII on seemingly shaky ground after refusing to expand football members, and the likelihood of the ACC accepting WVU being next to zero for marketing (Pitt already has the market) and academic reasons (at least that was the excuse before VPI was accepted thanks to political manuevering), it's time that we look at the possibility life an independent again.

- OU and TX are going to end up somewhere else in the future. I think if that's the lesson that we take from the refusal to add teams, that is it.

- ND has reluctantly become a part member of first the Big East and then the ACC. And while this has worked moderately well for them, I suspect they'd rather be an independent. And this would not be a bad thing. While we can't guarantee a playoff as an independent, a perfect regular season is almost impossible to keep a team out of the top four. BYU this year has demonstrated that it can certainly schedule its way into elite status by playing literally the toughest schedule around. If OU and TX and maybe one of the others bolt, there would still be 5 or 6 ex-Big XII teams to play most likely and then you have BYU, ND, Army and Navy and UMass as independents looking for spots to fill. Also, I can't imagine alumni of schools such as Maryland and Rutgers tolerating losing big in the Big 10 for long. And then there are the current contracts non-league that have to be honored...

- Being an independent has been frowned on; but it's not so bad. We don't have to share TV money and given that the number of independents is likely to increase - not decrease - we're likely to have a pretty decent set of schedules.
A little premature, don't you think?

Nope. Because the Big XII's going to collapse at some point if it does not expand and that's not in the very distant future. All it will take is for some SEC or Pac 12 bigwig to agree to some terms for Texas; they and OU will follow them right in. They will be a matched set. And if you think the AAC is going to pair up with the remainder of the league after it just rejected half of its membership, think again.

Last edited:
I can envision Iowa State and Kansas going to the AAC, but not the others.
As an independent I'd be down with playing Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, ND, BYU, Army and UMass. Plus there are games out of conference already set..I believe Michigan State is among those...we should dump Penn State for just plain moral reasons....but Pitt is coming back on. We've had worse schedules than that.

I got a better chance of having a 3some with 2 blonde Playboy Bunnies than Texas and/or Oklahoma ever leaving this conference.

Are they still Bunnies since there's no nudity anymore?

....and did you ever explain why your 'goodbye forums' thread was really more of a 'see you again soon' one ?

Right...you go ahead and keep dreaming that dream that OU and TX aren't leaving...they were THIS CLOSE to leaving for the SEC just a few years ago.. The money's still right..all that's needed is a place at the table big enough to accommodate Texas, which as we all know likes to run things.

Right...you go ahead and keep dreaming that dream that OU and TX aren't leaving...they were THIS CLOSE to leaving for the SEC just a few years ago.. The money's still right..all that's needed is a place at the table big enough to accommodate Texas, which as we all know likes to run things.

Exactly. Why would they go to another conference?

They run the show in the Big 12.

Why would they leave that? They would never leave that. Thus, it's time to end the silly speculation that they will.

Reactions: The Hunteeeeeer
It's not silly at all. Look at the city of Houston, which Texas A&M has turned into an SEC market. It's the largest market around. For the Big 12 not to take Houston and compete there against A&M says all you need to know about how strong OU and TX's ties really are to "running the Big XII." I'm sure they all believed SEC football wouldn't take in TX...they could not have been more wrong. The SEC has two open spots before it hits its limit. They'll either be Florida State and Clemson as a pair, or Texas and OU, also as a pair. Unlike Texas and OU, the ACC schools have SEC members that absolutely oppose the entry of their in-state rivals. Texas A&M and Texas desperately want to play each other again, as it's a big hole in the season now for the alumni of both. Texas brings more clout to the table than the others combined. At some point, Texas will choose either the Pac 12 or the SEC. OU will follow right behind. It's bigger money and more TV even for OU and TX. Can you imagine what the next TV contract would look like with those two in the conference? The network broadcasting them will have to show SEC football from noon to midnight.

- With the Big XII on seemingly shaky ground after refusing to expand football members, and the likelihood of the ACC accepting WVU being next to zero for marketing (Pitt already has the market) and academic reasons (at least that was the excuse before VPI was accepted thanks to political manuevering), it's time that we look at the possibility of life as an independent again.

- ND has reluctantly become a part member of first the Big East and then the ACC. And while this has worked moderately well for them, I suspect they'd rather be an independent. And this would not be a bad thing. While we can't guarantee a playoff as an independent, a perfect regular season is almost impossible to keep a team out of the top four. BYU this year has demonstrated that it can certainly schedule its way into elite status by playing literally the toughest schedule around. If OU and TX and maybe one of the others bolt, there would still be 5 or 6 ex-Big XII teams to play most likely and then you have BYU, ND, and Army and UMass as independents looking for spots to fill. Also, I can't imagine alumni of schools such as Maryland and Rutgers tolerating losing big in the Big 10 for long. And then there are the current contracts non-league that have to be honored...

- Being an independent has been frowned on; but it's not so bad. We don't have to share TV money and given that the number of independents is likely to increase - not decrease - we're likely to have a pretty decent set of schedules. Then we're back to where we were in 1989 - just having to play well on the field.
Lay off the sauce. If WVU is forced to be independent in football, it would fall to the level of Army or UMass.

Big enough to accommodate the Texas that's a complete dumpster fire right now? And they'll wanna run things alright...then get laughed outta the room.

And I agree with Coal....this program is instantly irrelevant as an independent.
How much you figure WVU makes as an independent btw in comparison to the
current windfall?

Texas would go Independent before any Big 12 school thinks about it. They have the best shot at being ND like. They have big oil money and plenty of backers. They would need a place for their Olympic sports and they would be set.

WVU independent? What would they do? Cancel all their Olympic sports teams. You need to share whatever you are drinking or smoking.

They (WVU) may not have to share tv revenue with anyone if they go Independent...but what would the revenue for them look like as such? WVU is not a major market team outside of WV, PA and OH...they do have a wonderful following but the tv market just isn't there for them. If they are to move out of the Big XII, perhaps pleading their case to the Big 10 would be a good move. That would set up a much more favorable schedule, home and away, plus the tv revenue should be equal to, if not more than, that of the Big XII, and certainly more as just being an Independent. Just my two cents.

BYU has been independent, but fiscally that will only go so far. They have said that BYU could go another 8 - 10 years before they run into fiscal problems. Many of the BYU talking heads have said that HAD the Big 12 expanded and invited BYU, it would have helped to remove that burden.

We could go independent... for a while. But fiscally, it won't be sustainable in the long run. That is too risky a move these days and WVU shouldn't go that route.

As an independent I'd be down with playing Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, ND, BYU, Army and UMass. Plus there are games out of conference already set..I believe Michigan State is among those...we should dump Penn State for just plain moral reasons....but Pitt is coming back on. We've had worse schedules than that.

You do realize that Kansas is a blue blood in basketball and can pick what conference they want to go too? They would be welcomed to the big 10 in a NY minute.

Also, Texas and Oklahoma have gotten used to running the Big 12 forever. There is no way either is going to a conference where they have to be subservient to anyone. There are three big dogs in the Big 12. UT, OU, and KU ( basketball ). The only one i see leaving and doing well is KU. They are a AU school and the Big 10 would move heaven and earth to get them.

KU going to the Big 10 for basketball will never happen. Decisions are made based on football as we saw time and again where the ACC was concerned. If TX and OU bolt, it will be for football that KU will be judged. They'd move to AAC.

People are failing to recognize what just happened here... Big XII members basically said, "There's nobody we can add that will help us." The unsaid part of that is this: compared to the other Power 5's the Big XII is the caboose. And structurally, moving OU and TX to the SEC would essentially break up the Big XII and give ESPN what it ultimately wants - 4 conferences (16 teams each) playing for playoff spots.

We would fall to the way side pretty fast. JMO

UMass... Seriously??!!

Reactions: CE4WVU
If college football ends up with four 16-team mega-conferences, as some speculate, then I would expect the ACC to topple first. It's ripe for plunder.

Texas and Oklahoma can pick 14 other schools any time they want, so why would they surrender their autonomy and become subservient?

In my opinion (shiny shoes talking) WV will never ever go the independent route again. There are so few independents left on the big level that WV would be hard pressed to fill their 12 game schedule. Warez

Why is the Big 12 going to collapse? Because the media said it would?

There's zero motive for Texas and Oklahoma to ever leave this conference. I got a better chance of having a 3some with 2 blonde Playboy Bunnies than Texas and/or Oklahoma ever leaving this conference.

The Big 12 WILL collapse....at least the conference that we know as the "Big 12". Texas and OU are gonna leave for either the PAC 12 or SEC. If OU leaves, they will take little brother OSU with them. There is talk that Colorado wants back in and maybe even Nebraska.

lol - We can't afford independent status. This isn't 1985 anymore. Every power program (not named Notre Dame or Texas) needs major TV revenue. We would not generate anywhere near enough TV revenue on our own. We would be done as an independent. There are 3 programs that can generate enough revenue to be independent and compete at a high level - ND, Texas & BYU (Mormon tabernacle) although the Cougars won't likely be able to sustain that forever.

Reactions: torontoeers
They (WVU) may not have to share tv revenue with anyone if they go Independent...but what would the revenue for them look like as such? WVU is not a major market team outside of WV, PA and OH...they do have a wonderful following but the tv market just isn't there for them. If they are to move out of the Big XII, perhaps pleading their case to the Big 10 would be a good move. That would set up a much more favorable schedule, home and away, plus the tv revenue should be equal to, if not more than, that of the Big XII, and certainly more as just being an Independent. Just my two cents.

No chance at the Big 10. Have to be AAU. Nebraska is the only member that is not in the AAU and they were a member prior to joining the Big 10. They lost their membership after being accepted into the conference.

No chance at the Big 10. Have to be AAU. Nebraska is the only member that is not in the AAU and they were a member prior to joining the Big 10. They lost their membership after being accepted into the conference.
Now that West Virginia has earned Carnegie R1 status -- which is a very big deal -- I wonder if it might get consideration by the AAU?

KU going to the Big 10 for basketball will never happen. Decisions are made based on football as we saw time and again where the ACC was concerned. If TX and OU bolt, it will be for football that KU will be judged. They'd move to AAC.

People are failing to recognize what just happened here... Big XII members basically said, "There's nobody we can add that will help us." The unsaid part of that is this: compared to the other Power 5's the Big XII is the caboose. And structurally, moving OU and TX to the SEC would essentially break up the Big XII and give ESPN what it ultimately wants - 4 conferences (16 teams each) playing for playoff spots.

You are wrong.

Why would Texas and OU leave?

The Big 12 provides easier access to Playoffs and fosters Texas and OU supreme power that would be reduced similar to Nebraska in Big 10. Texas and OU want to be in the same conference and each would not leave unless their in state little brothers left with- Texas Tech and Oklahoma State providing a security blanket and assurance in a new league they have persuasion. If say the Pacc-12 took all four, other conferences would expand to 16 and WVU would clearly gain admittance into SEC or ACC.

TCU and WVU would be prime candidates by SEC
WVU and UCONN by ACC
ND, Kansas, UCONN, and TCU by Big 10

To think a major shuffle would happen and other conferences would not have WVU on their short list is ludicrous and paranoia. Florida State, Clemson, VT, and Pitt would ensure WVU would be added to keep a strengthened ACC football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT