ADVERTISEMENT

šŸ”„šŸ”„BREAKINGšŸ”„šŸ”„ WVU announces five year extension for Dana Holgorsen

Lyons Announces Holgorsen Contract Extension

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (December 3, 2016) -- West Virginia University Director of Athletics Shane Lyons has announced tonight the agreement of a contract extension for football head coach Dana Holgorsen, putting him under contract with the Mountaineers for the next five years.

ā€œI said back in the spring that Coach Holgorsen and I were focused on nothing but a successful 2016 football season, and I think weā€™ve proven that,ā€ Lyons said. ā€œNow that the regular season has come to a close, the time is right to finalize a new contract for Dana and keep our program going in a positive direction.

ā€œDana and I have always had a good, open dialogue, and we want this program to succeed at the highest level,ā€ Lyons added. ā€œI am pleased and happy that he wants to continue to lead the Mountaineer football program. Part of my job is to give him the resources to succeed, and we will continue to work together closely to bring the very best to West Virginia football.ā€

The extension calls for amended terms to the 2017 campaign and will have Holgorsen under contract with the Mountaineers through the 2021 football season. The new agreement will begin on January 1, 2017. The five-year total package is worth $18.6 million plus incentives with Holgorsenā€™s 2017 salary rising to $3.5 million plus incentives.

Over the life of the agreement, yearly salary increases will have Holgorsenā€™s salary in the final year of the contract at $4 million plus incentives.

ā€œI am pleased we reached agreement on an extension for Coach Holgorsen,ā€ WVU President E. Gordon Gee said. ā€œIt has been gratifying to see his growth, and the growth of our football program, during his time here. We want to ensure we keep that momentum going. Coach Holgorsen and his family have embraced West Virginia University and Morgantown, which is indicative of his commitment to the University and the state. We look forward to watching even further success under his leadership."

Holgorsen is 46-30 as head coach of the Mountaineers and next season will mark his seventh year of leading the WVU football program. He has won 15 of his last 18 games and 2016 produced his second 10-win season at the school. His seven Big 12 wins in 2016 are the most in WVUā€™s five years in the conference. He has had 16 players at West Virginia earn All-America honors, and 17 drafted by the NFL. He is the only coach in the nation to have had at least one Top 15 draft pick in four of the last five years.

ā€œI am proud of our team and what we have accomplished this year by being only the ninth squad in school history to win 10 games in a season,ā€ Holgorsen said. ā€œI want to congratulate and thank our coaching staff and players for a job well done. I also want to thank President Gee, Shane and Keli Cunningham for their commitment and support. Going forward, my focus is squarely on recruiting and the upcoming bowl game. I strongly believe that our football program is in position to be successful for a very long time.ā€

Great news.

Now let's not let the positive momentum for WVU be ruined for the next five years by the haters

Great news.

Now let's not let the positive momentum for WVU be ruined for the next five years by the haters

"Haters"? Maybe there is ONE guy on here that you could say that about. I'm glad he got it because it means WVU is doing well. But I'm just some "t-shirt fan"......[pfftt]

he has improved and admits it. more and more not just an OC with a HC title. glad this drama is over. given the length that he has been at wvu and the length of this extension he could be around the town for a long time. hope his growth as HC continues and that he doesn't lose Gibby.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT