ADVERTISEMENT

Wussifucation of Mountaineer football

If he does a November nosedive (and he may), I would suspect he's gone if Lyons feels like he can get his guy. The offense has taken a step back with Spavital as coordinator and if they lose to Baylor, he may be demoted to QB coach. I feel like anything less than a #2 finish in the conference and an appearance in the Big 12 Championship Game should be considered a failure given the returning players, coaching continuity and a favorable schedule. I realize that a with a new coach brings a 3-5 year grace period but something tells me that Dana won't have us any closer to a Big 12 championship in 3-5 years.

I disagree.

WV is Oklahoma St from last year without a great RB.
Oklahoma St didn't play in Arlington.

The belief was TCU and Oklahoma St were not going to be good which is true but the other side was Texas and Iowa St wouldn't make huge leaps forward.

This is why WV was predicted to finish second.

Y'all see Iowa St's star recruit coming for a Big XII QB near you.....

7644938.jpg

All joking aside they are going to finish in the Top 4 in Big XII recruiting for 2019 and may out recruit both Oklahoma St and West Virginia

Y'all see Iowa St's star recruit coming for a Big XII QB near you.....

7644938.jpg

All joking aside they are going to finish in the Top 4 in Big XII recruiting for 2019 and may out recruit both Oklahoma St and West Virginia

Having a top 40 class will better WVU.

We couldn't even rest all of our starters vs Kansas. Look what happened there.

Kansas is not as bad as they have been
Pooka Williams is a legit college RB. In CFB one player can carry a team much easier than in the NFL.
For KU fans it is a shame it didn't come together because they have a great staff.
If I was WV I would pick up their HC David Beaty who has worked under your OC before
Plus they have a coach with recruiting ties to New Orleans in Tony Hull.

WV not beating them by 40 can be overlooked.

I think some of you guys look at things through very narrow glasses.

To say that Campbell has ISU headed in any direction is misguided. His team is what, 4-3 right now? The only really good win so far has been us, and that is debatable. ISU looks good right now because about 7 teams out of the B12 are rebuilding this year. Same thing goes for Tech. Neither recruits well enough to sustain it over the long term.

The question for WVU, and for Dana also, will be if the defense is for real or not. From the ISU game, all the woes fell on the offense, and rightfully so. But people overlook the fact that our defense never really stopped ISU all night. The only thing that kept ISU from scoring 50 or more was their own mistakes, namely costly penalties that stalled drives. If you don't believe it, go back and watch.

Now, was this just a one game anomaly, like the offensive woes that night, or is this a harbinger of things to come as we play the better teams from the conference from here on out? I believe the jury is still out right now. Tomorrow night might not be as telling as next Saturday. Either way, by next Sunday, we should know for sure whether real estate agents in the Morgantown area should have their cell phones on them fully charged or not.

The game was still 20-14 late 3rd/early 4th quarter so assigning blame to the defense is a pretty silly thing to do. The delayed safety blitzes REALLY pissed me off...I mean keep a RB in the backfield to pick up the blitz and then flare out as the 1st safety valve/check down, hello? I don't think Spav can adjust on the fly at all as he certainly didn't show it when he needed to in that game. I tend to think Spavital is less of an offensive mind than Dana is and while Dana being freed up from play calling has helped special teams considerably, it has come at the expense of the offense. I never liked the Spav hire as I think he gets more credit that he deserves for his time working with Johnny Manziel. We're not a terrible football team by any stretch, just (likely) mediocre and if we miss out on the Big 12 Championship Game, we can be mediocre with some new blood...that's all I'm saying.

Maybe the ceiling has already been reached in the Big XII.
I doubt it because with DH I think WV could win a Big XII conference.

We can agree to disagree. Dana has not shown in his time here that he has the capability to win the Big 12 conference. Now if he rights the ship this season and gets this team into the conference championship game, I’ll stand corrected and admit I was wrong. Unfortunately for Dana and WVU, history is not on his side. We will have our answer in the next few weeks.

That is totally wrong.
Iowa St isn't just winning more games than they ever had they are also recruiting better than they ever had and developing the talent.

6-6 was something to celebrate for a long time in Ames.

The question for Iowa St will be Kansas St.
They have a pretty easy schedule to end the year compared with the rest of the Big XII.
Could easily finish 8-4 with improvement

I agree with you on this one. Iowa State has had nothing to be proud of for many years and a bowl game was a mere dream instead of a reality there. Campbell is building something there but it will likely be short lived as I think Ohio State will snatch him up if Urban Meyer leaves.

We can agree to disagree. Dana has not shown in his time here that he has the capability to win the Big 12 conference. Now if he rights the ship this season and gets this team into the conference championship game, I’ll stand corrected and admit I was wrong. Unfortunately for Dana and WVU, history is not on his side. We will have our answer in the next few weeks.

Is WVU a Big XII Championship or bust program this year
If WV puts these expectations on their program they will fail but more than that no good coach would want to coach there.
Even a program like Nebraska with 5 NC has failed because of this and WV doesn't have a Scott Frost to bail them out

Dana goes 7-5 and gets fired because some of you want to..

This will mean DH has finished above 500 in all seasons except one.
When you start the hiring process for a new coach you pretty much end up having to hire your tenth choice.

Look at Tennessee last year. Tennessee has a lot more resources and talent around the program than WV but any coach who wanted to keep his career politely declined.

This is what happens when you set unrealistic expectations of "Championship goals or else"

Is WVU a Big XII Championship or bust program this year
If WV puts these expectations on their program they will fail but more than that no good coach would want to coach there.
Even a program like Nebraska with 5 NC has failed because of this and WV doesn't have a Scott Frost to bail them out

This year's team is the one Dana has begged for since he has been here. If he can't get to the Big 12 championship game with this team, when is he ever going to do it? Do we have to wait another 7 years for him to have another team capable of making a run? That is not progress. That's being stuck in neutral.

Nobody says he has to win the conference title every season but WVU should at least compete for the Big 12 title every 3 years. If we don't have at least some expectations, then why bother having a team at all if your goal is to be no better than mediocre?

Reactions: Rootmaster
This year's team is the one Dana has begged for since he has been here. If he can't get to the Big 12 championship game with this team, when is he ever going to do it? Do we have to wait another 7 years for him to have another team capable of making a run? That is not progress. That's being stuck in neutral.

Nobody says he has to win the conference title every season but WVU should at least compete for the Big 12 title every 3 years. If we don't have at least some expectations, then why bother having a team at all if your goal is to be no better than mediocre?

What is competing?
Hasn't WV competed and had chances late in the year to win the Big XII.
They are competing right now.

The hype of the team wasn't always based on reality. Not blaming anyone but this WV team is not some sort of offensive Juggernaut with a bunch of different ways to score plus there are weaknesses on the D in the LB group and in the secondary.

WV was a team who could win the Big XII.

If

OU wasn't able to replace Baker Mayfield
Oklahoma St and TCU struggled
And If
Texas didn't make a huge jump forward

There were stipulations of WV winning a Big XII Championship.
But there is still a chance as Texas could prove to be a fluke and Kyler Murray runs off to baseball.

Dana goes 7-5 and gets fired because some of you want to..

This will mean DH has finished above 500 in all seasons except one.
When you start the hiring process for a new coach you pretty much end up having to hire your tenth choice.

Look at Tennessee last year. Tennessee has a lot more resources and talent around the program than WV but any coach who wanted to keep his career politely declined.

This is what happens when you set unrealistic expectations of "Championship goals or else"

I agree the unrealistic expectations that you get at Notre Dame and Ohio State are not going to work at WVU. However, nobody expects Dana to compete for a national title every season. WVU is NOT Alabama or Ohio State and they never will be. But they SHOULD be able to compete for a conference championship every few years. That's not impossible at WVU with the right coach.

Not since the Orange Bowl has WVU has been competitive against really good teams in the Holgorsen era.

Bowl games are difficult to judge a coach and a team unless it is for a NC or CFP
Mainly because you do not know where a team is at mentally.
I wouldn't say DH has been horrible against better competition.
He has just shown that he cannot beat Oklahoma.

I agree the unrealistic expectations that you get at Notre Dame and Ohio State are not going to work at WVU. However, nobody expects Dana to compete for a national title every season. WVU is NOT Alabama or Ohio State and they never will be. But they SHOULD be able to compete for a conference championship every few years. That's not impossible at WVU with the right coach.

That have competed for Big XII Championships

Now....here is the caveat. DH builds his team to feature a great QB like Oklahoma. Just as long as Will Grier plays great then WV can win.
Grier has struggled and there are questions about him being able to read defenses and unusual coverages.

So if you want a coach who builds a team on the OL and DL and turns games into LOS battles than I guess DH is not your guy.

Problem with this is the amount of talent WV can get on the OL and DL.
I guess if they want to play like Iowa or Wisconsin that would take a new coach and 3-5 years.

Last edited:

What a dumb ass comment. I suppose if you need a surgeon you think finding one who only loses 45% of his patients is ok? DH gets paid to produce...period. If this talented team tanks in November yet again fire his sorry ass...and get someone who is championship oriented to coach...with a fan base to match.

What a dumb ass comment. I suppose if you need a surgeon you think finding one who only loses 45% of his patients is ok? DH gets paid to produce...period. If this talented team tanks in November yet again fire his sorry ass...and get someone who is championship oriented to coach...with a fan base to match.

You are just upset that WV is ranked and Pitt is dogshit....
Trying to undermine their coach at any mistake he makes.

Like I have said I have seen all the different forms of trolling. You are not anything new.
You should just be a lot more clever at it .

This was Baylor.

Let's see how we do against Texas. A team that can go big and run over top of us.

Even if they lose against Texas they still have two goals in sight
A) Playing in Arlington
B) Playing on NYD

Well they will need to beat at least Texas. If they lose to Texas and beat OU they play in title game. If they beat Texas and lose to OU then it will be Texas and OU in title game. So beat them both and leave no doubt.

They pretty much control their own destiny.

Well they will need to beat at least Texas. If they lose to Texas and beat OU they play in title game. If they beat Texas and lose to OU then it will be Texas and OU in title game. So beat them both and leave no doubt.

They pretty much control their own destiny.

True.
But on the other hand a loss to Texas won't take anything off the table.
Best thing for WV would be Texas lose to Oklahoma St and the wind gets taken out of their sails.

If they are 7-1 that hunger in that fanbase will impact the game and WV can't get into a rock fight.
Texas wants to turn into bully ball but has the dogs in the secondary to keep the WRs under wraps.

Texas has the OL to match our DL. Texas RB's will run over our tiny dancer LB's

If they get the W against Texas I'll try my best to not tip the bandwagon over jumping back on on the Holgorsen party wagon.

I hope you miss your jump and get run over by the wheel but that’s just me. Others may be more forgiving.

However, you’ll more than likely just move the goalposts again:

“Yeah but that was Texas. They’re overrated this year.”

Blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: ChattanoogaEER
Last night in Mountaineer Field the wussies that I saw were wearing Baylor uniforms. They were the Bad News Bears.
With 41-0 at halftime I began to feel sorry for the Baylor players. I hate t see anyone get beat on like that, even opponents. And Brewer, after throwing 3 picks, got hurt and never played in the 2nd half.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

I hope you miss your jump and get run over by the wheel but that’s just me. Others may be more forgiving.

However, you’ll more than likely just move the goalposts again:

“Yeah but that was Texas. They’re overrated this year.”

Blah, blah, blah.

Let me know if we run the table. I picked 8-4 this year. It's looking like it could go either way.

Last night in Mountaineer Field the wussies that I saw were wearing Baylor uniforms. They were the Bad News Bears.
With 41-0 at halftime I began to feel sorry for the Baylor players. I hate t see anyone get beat on like that, even opponents. And Brewer, after throwing 3 picks, got hurt and never played in the 2nd half.

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Feel sorry for them? What the hell is that? Do you think ISU felt sorry for us when they gave us beat down. Doubt it. Do you think Baylor felt sorry for us when they slapped us silly in WACO. Do you think when you post?

Feel sorry for them? What the hell is that? Do you think ISU felt sorry for us when they gave us beat down. Doubt it. Do you think Baylor felt sorry for us when they slapped us silly in WACO. Do you think when you post?
There are kids playing a game they love. It shows better class to feel bad for the kids getting whomped on. Just because others are jackasses doesn't mean that I want to be one. Have at it.

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

There are kids playing a game they love. It shows better class to feel bad for the kids getting whomped on. Just because others are jackasses doesn't mean that I want to be one. Have at it.

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Yeah. let's go ahead and give everyone a participation trophy. Why name a champion? Let's just feel sorry for everyone finishing 2nd. Poor things.

It shows better class to feel bad for the kids getting whomped on

We can now add to your description "someone with class" (unlike most of us poor slobs lol. } Now you are a professional, sportswriter, highly educated, highly paid, world traveled, award winning, financially astute, woman magnet, well off, old guy...who also is soooooooooooooooooooooo classy and knows better. Of course you are also a pompous ja that couldn't catch a football if it was handed to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT