ADVERTISEMENT

Wren: Mountaineer football is more than a game, it’s family to me

MoTownWV

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I posted this in November 2022 after it was announced that Brown was returning. Two years later and nothing has changed. Wren Baker is letting down the fans and more importantly families across WV, as shown by this thread, everyday he lets this continue.

I use to believe that Mountaineer Field was special.

It was a belief that I carried with me from watching games with my father as a child in the 80s. Those experiences together in Morgantown became the foundation for our relationship as adults.

I believed that on any given Saturday that if I cheered a little louder and made just a bit of extra noise, along with 60,000 of my best friends and more importantly my family, that we could make a difference,

I believed that the Mountaineers could win any game at home. No matter the strength of opponent.

I believed that the fans could carry the Defense to a 3rd down stop with our energy. That we could help create that momentum changing turnover. That our collective will could open a hole for our running back to secure a big run.

Those beliefs are gone. It started to fade under Dana. And Neal evaporated it.

When we get loud on 3rd down and the bell tolls, all it means is that a first down is coming.

When the roof is ready to blow because of a late game Mountaineer touchdown, there is going to be a big kickoff return by the opposition.

When the game is in our reach, someone is going to commit a dumb penalty or a costly turnover.

Mountaineer Field is no longer a difference maker. Mountaineer Field is no longer special.

And it breaks my heart. 💔💔💔

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.