ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder if DH would consider adding Wildcat package for RAB

bEER_Nation13

All-American
Mar 2, 2012
Should have 4 healthy running backs. Would be interesting to see him add a package with multiple running backs in the backfield. Like a diamond formation? I am almost certain Holgorsen ran a diamond formation a few years ago but I could be wrong. But plug in a running back at the quarterback position. Would be fun to watch and I think it would be pretty effective especially since UM would have no tape on it or would even prepare for it. Not to mention, our run block is pretty dang good and our running attack is far more effective than passing.

With a full backfield we could run the Wing-T with two Tight-Ends. There's something that would confuse the defense.... and most fans!

300px-T_Formation.svg.png

Reactions: lenny4wvu
With a full backfield we could run the Wing-T with two Tight-Ends. There's something that would confuse the defense.... and most fans!

Damn! But I tell ya,this might work..lots and lots of FUN oprions in that set.Especially throwing out to flat to the TE..WHOA ! !!!

Should have 4 healthy running backs. Would be interesting to see him add a package with multiple running backs in the backfield. Like a diamond formation? I am almost certain Holgorsen ran a diamond formation a few years ago but I could be wrong. But plug in a running back at the quarterback position. Would be fun to watch and I think it would be pretty effective especially since UM would have no tape on it or would even prepare for it. Not to mention, our run block is pretty dang good and our running attack is far more effective than passing.
Travon Wesco was wildcat QB at junior college

I used to run out of the diamond offense and scored many a TD running this way. I always used my Juke move..................whether I needed it or not. It just looked so dadgum good to the fans. The phantom move.................I never needed it. I had the Juke!

And ... Skyler really is a bit of running back.

He's rushed 121 times for 400 yds (3.3 yd/carry) and scored 9 touchdowns on the ground this season. He left Stephen F. Austin because they only wanted to use him as a running back.

Put him on the field with 2-3 other running backs and you have the wildcat package already part of our offense. The wildcat is built into our offense.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
I like the idea of the wildcat but The Sky could get hurt running it. We need The Sky real bad since no one else got appreciable PT at the position this year.

...run the Bone!...have a D-lineman lead, Wellman right behind to clean up, pull the off side guard & tackle, Counter Trey their asses all day!....yeah, I know....but still, would be fun to watch....

...run the Bone!
We did it once before in a bowl. Remember the story of the 1969 Peach Bowl? Carlen allowed Bowden to learn the wishbone from Texas, and they then used the time off before the bowl to install the new offense. Our beat writers were in on the secret, but kept quiet unlike today's media. In the game it caught South Carolina completely off guard. We ran 79 times and threw just 2 passes. Eddie Williams' 208-yard performance still stands as the Peach Bowl record.

http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?section=6560

One might even say a similar thing occurred last year in this bowl. Maybe you recall Baylor coming into the game down to their 3d-string QB due to multiple injuries. They surprised North Carolina with a heavy rushing attack and set an all-time bowl record with 645 rushing yards. The high-powered Bears ended up throwing just 18 passes compared to 84 carries on the ground in the win.

. In the game it caught South Carolina completely off guard. We ran 79 times and threw just 2 passes. Eddie Williams' 208-yard performance still stands as the Peach Bowl record.
....I was only ten for that game, but I have a stray memory of our TE catching a pass on his shoulder right down the middle.....is this even that game?...& was LHoltz the opposing coach?....like I said...stray memories...

....I was only ten for that game, but I have a stray memory of our TE catching a pass on his shoulder right down the middle.....is this even that game?...& was LHoltz the opposing coach?....like I said...stray memories...
That was Scott McDonald in peach bowl against nc state

Reactions: GoWVU

We used to run the tackle eligible out of that formation in Junior High. It used to piss me off because the guy inside of me was getting a share of my catches and I had to chicken wing pass block.

I was a load on the end around. Nothing like being full grown at fourteen and bearing down on a 130 lb. cornerback with a full head of steam.

Anyone remember the 5-3-3 defense designed to stop it? I doubt there are any coaches left alive that remember how to coach that thing.

Everyone went to the veer or the bone by the time I got to HS and the wide tackle six came into vogue. Now that was a man's game. O and D linemen lined up in a four point stance a foot apart smacking heads on every play. No one complained about concussions then. They were nothing dirt and a lap wouldn't cure.

I think it's the excess of water they give these guys these days are the cause of all these head injuries. We got three sips a game/ practice and were damn glad to get it. Everyone knew too much water was bad for you. Prevent head injuries, ban water!

Or maybe we beat you with a balanced attack of run/pass.

Maybe, but don't see it happening. Miami is stout against the run.

Going to be an interesting matchup. I think Miami will have most of its success on the ground and WVU will have most of its success through the air.

I think the key for WVU will be to jump out to an early lead. If the game is close going into the half or Miami has a lead, it's going to be tough sledding for WVU because Miami's defense doesn't give up many points in the second half. Manny Diaz is a mastermind at making halftime adjustments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT