ADVERTISEMENT

WITN Greenville: ECU Officials announce Pirates Not a Big 12 Candidate

WVBlue

All-American
Sep 27, 2001
Posted: Wed 9:51 AM, Aug 31, 2016 |
Updated: Wed 10:02 AM, Aug 31, 2016

GREENVILLE, NC (WITN) -
ECU officials announced Wednesday morning that the Big 12 Conference is no longer considering the Pirates as an expansion candidate to their conference.

"I am proud of the support Pirate Nation provided to our efforts," ECU Chancellor Dr. Cecil Staton says. "While I am disappointed by the decision, I remain undaunted in my commitment to ECU athletics and the excellence displayed by our wonderful student-athletes, coaches and staff."

"While it is obviously not the decision we were hoping for, I am confident ECU put forth its best effort during this process," Director of Athletics Jeff Compher says. "Through a determined approach we were able to tell our story to not only the Big 12, but the entire nation. Our student-athletes, coaches and staff will continue to proudly compete for championships in the American Athletic Conference and we will represent our alumni and community with great resolve. We remain Undaunted!"

ECU joined the American Athletic Conference back in 2014.

The Pirates open the 2016-2017 season at home on Friday against Western Carolina. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m

http://www.witn.com/content/news/EC...-a-Big-12-Conference-candidate-391871981.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT