ADVERTISEMENT

Wishing Dana well, but this article tells why he needed to go

Nester stayed close to home.
Blacksburg.

Nester and his parents were all about academics.

Coaches only visit in December and January.
Nester was an Ohio St commit looking at Penn St and VA Tech.

Neither wanted anything to do with WVU. Dana did the right thing by not wasting his time. It enabled him to have a solid recruiting class set up for Brown.

Brown almost signed one of them. The other didn't give him the time of day.

Obviously Dana "needed to go" because Brown didn't get either one. People can talk about how Brown almost signed a 5 star. North Carolina and Alabama ALMOST signed him too. Congratulations

Reactions: SUKEERS
Did you even read the article? Both of their coaches said the kids started out with wvu as their first choice. When a couple of top 10 programs got involved, Dana gave up and didn’t fight for them.

That was Dana’s problem from the get go. He’s HC at the #13 all-time winningnest program but he walked around with this inferiority thing going on. He felt like we were a bottom tier power 5 program when, at the time he had come in, we had just won more BCS bowl games in the last 10 years than just about anybody.

Brown, in contrast, is asking why isn’t everyone around here talking about being in the top 15 programs in the country. He thinks we should be getting 4-star recruits with a 5-star every now and then, just like we were getting with Rrod.

It’s one of those things where whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re probably right. Dana didn’t think we were good enough to play with the big boys and it showed. Neil Brown tells his kids at Troy they can win at Nebraska and LSU and they go out and win. That’s the mindset you need as a HC and Dana didn’t have it for recruiting or on the field. I’m not saying we are a top 10 program, but we ought to be in the discussion when you’re talking top 20.

And by the way, Blacksburg and Morgantown are virtually equidistant from Huntington. Morgantown is closer than Knoxville. Dana screwed the pooch on this one and it will be a long time before two 5-stars come out of wv in the same year again.

And by the way, Blacksburg and Morgantown are virtually equidistant from Huntington. Morgantown is closer than Knoxville. Dana screwed the pooch on this one and it will be a long time before two 5-stars come out of wv in the same year again.

Pridetard disagrees. All WV kids are 5* and more than capable of winning a B12 crown

Let me say I wish those high school players, both of them, well. Let me also say there is no way of telling whether either is worth a darn yet. Who is the last great High School Olineman to come out of the state of WV and do well in college and beyond? My guess would be Doug Legursky and he was not highly touted out of high school.

I would also say Holgorsen offered both Nester and Wright and both decided other places. It’s the end of the story. The only instate player in Holgorsen’s time that was a real loss was Switzer and WVU did offer. End of story.

As for it being time for Holgorsen to go? Yeah it was but not for the recruiting of WV high school players. Using a similar comparison, I guess Don Nehlen let the two best WV High School players of his 21 seasons at WVU go other places. Randy Moss is in the NFL HOF and ended up at Marshall while Bobby Howard went to ND. I’m not gonna get into Sammy Singleton or heck even Eric Moss and that’s from just one High School. Or he offered and they said no-end of story.

It was time for Holgorsen to go because he got a lot better contract in Houston and a chance to reset his career. He was on a very short rope in the University City and if he doesn’t win some next year, he was out. The WVU fanbase was ready for a change too. Too much bad luck. I still applaud him the South Beach Beatdoen which was the most dominant WVU Bowl win I’ve ever seen and wish him well.

Reactions: Phil and SUKEERS
"I've talked to many coaches within the state since coach Brown has gotten there and they are excited about what he's going to bring to the table," Seals said. "I think a lot of coaches in the state -- especially those who have been here for a while -- felt like kids in West Virginia were not recruited as they should have been by WVU. The coaches in the state are excited about Brown's efforts."

Holgorsen had more West Virginia players than we have ever had. The problem was assholes like disciple who is holding a grudge for phantom things after he's long gone. I also don't expect anyone from Huntington, KY to say anything but great things about Brown since he's a home state man for them.

If it were true they wanted to stay at home to play for WVU. Why didn't they sign up when Neal Brown came knocking? Sounds like a sorry ass piece of shit story of lies to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: SUKEERS
Did you even read the article? Both of their coaches said the kids started out with wvu as their first choice. When a couple of top 10 programs got involved, Dana gave up and didn’t fight for them.

That was Dana’s problem from the get go. He’s HC at the #13 all-time winningnest program but he walked around with this inferiority thing going on. He felt like we were a bottom tier power 5 program when, at the time he had come in, we had just won more BCS bowl games in the last 10 years than just about anybody.

Brown, in contrast, is asking why isn’t everyone around here talking about being in the top 15 programs in the country. He thinks we should be getting 4-star recruits with a 5-star every now and then, just like we were getting with Rrod.

It’s one of those things where whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re probably right. Dana didn’t think we were good enough to play with the big boys and it showed. Neil Brown tells his kids at Troy they can win at Nebraska and LSU and they go out and win. That’s the mindset you need as a HC and Dana didn’t have it for recruiting or on the field. I’m not saying we are a top 10 program, but we ought to be in the discussion when you’re talking top 20.
I was more in the supporting Dana camp than not most of the time, but I never thought of it this way and what you have laid out makes perfect sense. He always spoke as though we were fighting an uphill battle and never took the stance that we were a powerhouse. Right or wrong as either statement may be, perception is everything to players and fans. If my coach doesn't see us as a force to be reckoned with, neither will I.

Look at the number of Tennessee players invited to the NFL combine....

Zero

That is with a Top 10 class.

Never once did I see WV hit Tennessee in the mouth in the recruitment of Wright.

players invited to the NFL combine

I suppose, in your childish way, you are trying to say that DH was great because some Mountaineer players just got invited to the combine? How did that work out for WVU? Until the Mountaineers compete for the conference championship, or someone in the Big 12-2=10 can actually compete with teams from SEC or ACC for the NC then you should stay silent and not sound like such a homer dope Sage Brush.

I suppose, in your childish way, you are trying to say that DH was great because some Mountaineer players just got invited to the combine? How did that work out for WVU? Until the Mountaineers compete for the conference championship, or someone in the Big 12-2=10 can actually compete with teams from SEC or ACC for the NC then you should stay silent and not sound like such a homer dope Sage Brush.

ACC?
That conference is trash. It is the Big East without a good Florida State.
Clemson is taking the role of Miami.

The ratings are comparable to the Big East as well. The PAC 12 has better television ratings
The fifth wheel. ACC better hope that they can get out of this world ratings for basketball with their new network.

You Pitt fans should be over on HeelTalk trying to get UNC fans to realize that Pitt brings something to the conference
Both you are BC are considered to be leeches. Schools that are taking from UNC and Florida St
You are so worried about kicking WV around you are going to find yourself out of the car when the next dominos fall.

ACC?
That conference is trash.

Oh once again the child in you comes out. The Big 12-2=10 can't even get it's name right...or can't count lol. Besides Oklahoma who else is there...all the Sisters of the Poor schools from Cow Country? WVU is only in it out of need and desperation on both the school and Sage Brush conference at the time. How has the NC games gone for the conference? Noticed?

Oh once again the child in you comes out. The Big 12-2=10 can't even get it's name right...or can't count lol. Besides Oklahoma who else is there...all the Sisters of the Poor schools from Cow Country? WVU is only in it out of need and desperation on both the school and Sage Brush conference at the time. How has the NC games gone for the conference? Noticed?

You can go 4-8 just as long as you bring eyes to the television
Look at UCF. Undefeated seasons and they still can't bring eyes to the TV

First and second tier revenue is driven by ratings.
The ACC is so far behind in football that it has the lowest payout in the P5.
The ACC network is what they are counting on.
But schools have already realized that they will be paying 14 schools a full share and 1 school a partial share.
They have already moved on to their next step and that is bringing ND in as a full member.

The ACC very much like the Big East is counting on basketball ratings
Even if the ACC had 10 Top 10 teams the ratings for regular season college basketball are small.
You can't demand money for college basketball because no one watches.

Reactions: alpinisti
PAC 12 2010-2013

A lot of those schools hired big name coaches and some schools even put money towards facilities.

It was because they expected big profits from their network.

Fast forward it to 2019.
The PAC 12 schools are still paying for those mistakes.
The money never came so their purse strings have closed.

The ACC is in the same position.
Except for Florida St as Florida St has already realized this.
Why they let Jimbo go and stopped putting money towards facilities.

That money is not going to be there.
Their network won't be anywhere near the SEC or B1G.
Unlike the PAC 12 they have to share the profit with ESPN.

They have ESPN and more schools than the PAC 12.
Plus ratings similar to the PAC 12.

Miami was winning NC in the Big East.
It didn't save the Big East.

The issues with the ACC will be schools who are viewed as scapegoats.
Pitt
Boston College
Syracuse

Those three mainly.
They are not bringing anything to the table and are taking revenue away.

Miami was winning NC in the Big East.
It didn't save the Big East.

The issues with the ACC will be schools who are viewed as scapegoats.
Pitt
Boston College
Syracuse

Those three mainly.
They are not bringing anything to the table and are taking revenue away.

You are the complete Pride 2.0.. Are you related? Or are you the same individual?

Reactions: Rootmaster
When you have no answers you go off road. You are a typical troll that's been found out.

Answers to what...
The ACC.
I visit quite a few ACC message boards.

There is a growing concern about their network. Schools like Pitt and Boston College are easy targets because according to some they don't know how you cook a ham.

Ultimately the biggest issue was Jim Boeheim's attack on Greensboro.
Syracuse made their bed with the ACC
Unless Syracuse can get all those New Yorkers and Jews to watch the network they may find themselves in the American when they pull the plug on the network

Answers to what...
The ACC.
I visit quite a few ACC message boards.

There is a growing concern about their network. Schools like Pitt and Boston College are easy targets because according to some they don't know how you cook a ham.

Visiting message boards is not a credential.

Visiting message boards is not a credential.

Not all the way true.
Some schools like UNC have message boards that represent the fanbase to the fullest.
Most major universities have huge independent message boards that represent a fanbase.

Go to TigerDroppings if you don't believe this .
Only place you can learn how to make roux, learn the best way to keep your dip fresh when you buy a log and have 50 people show up to your place when it is flooded.

Not all the way true.
Some schools like UNC have message boards that represent the fanbase to the fullest.
Most major universities have huge independent message boards that represent a fanbase.

Only place you can learn how to make roux, learn the best way to keep your dip fresh when you buy a log and have 50 people show up to your place when it is flooded.

No, completely true.

Visiting message boards is not a credential. You live in a fantasy world.

PS. I can learn to make a roux right now anywhere. You are a bizarre and confused human.

Not all the way true.

And visit penn states if you want to learn that Jerry Sandusky is innocent and will be set free...

Your youth and your flat out dumbass comments come to light with both of these posts. You are quickly becoming irrelevant.

We will see...in a few years.
It is something that will play itself out.

Clemson has IPTAY.
They set this up to fund their athletic programs and this has allowed them to stay relevant without conference revenue.
Clemson wants to be UofSC.
That is why they are attached to UNC and UVA.

Wow. Where did you get your bowl victory info? Since 1981 (38 years) WVU has been in 29 bowl games. Overall bowl record is 11-18 in those games. As to the 10 years prior to DH the record was 6 wins and 4 losses. 2 of those bowl wins were in what would be considered "BCS" bowls. Gator, Meinke would not be considered "BCS." So I doubt WVU had more BCS bowl wins over that time period than just about anybody. In fact, 6 wins out of 10 probably is not more than just about anybody.

Nebraska wasn't a big boy last year
They were 4-8. When they played Troy they started a back up walk on QB.

Troy should have won that game.

Neal Brown is a good coach and should build a solid foundation.
But it will take some time.

The first two years in the Big XII forced Dana in a horrible position.
Either get fired or find talent.

That is why he had to bring in transfers and couldn't fully develop players.

Three star players for the most part don't walk onto campus as stars.
They have to be developed. This takes around 2 years.

For Neal Brown to start winning 10 games every year he will need 2-3 years to develop those 3 star players into future NFL draft picks.

You can't say Dana didn't develop talent.
Texas
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Make up over 50% of the Big XII invitees to the NFL combine.

But overall he couldn't develop that level of talent on the 2 deep.
You need 40+ players playing at that level and not 20.

Hey faketexasdumbass...when did getting someone invited to the combine become more important than winning? One thing you aren't fake at...being clueless lol.

Hey faketexasdumbass...when did getting someone invited to the combine become more important than winning? One thing you aren't fake at...being clueless lol.

Who said it was?

Like always you result to childish insults and misinterpreting a post.

You can't win unless you recruit and recruits won't look at your school unless you are developing talent.

College Football is being used by these recruits to get to the NFL.

So FakeBoy/Girl/It then the term "student athlete" means nothing to you and your glory boy worshipping?

That is besides the point.
You have to separate football from academics.
Texas has the academics to sell all student athletes.

Even the top students athletes want to play in the NFL.
So selling the NFL is only a piece of the puzzle.

We are talking about WV and how sending players to the NFL is a selling point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT