ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Simms Leaving?

The players still support him. It would be different if the players felt differently but they do not.

Saw on FB that Simms is leaving. What's he got going one?

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia-mountaineers/wvus-simms-on-to-another-chapter/

He missed spring practice due to personal issues. You never know what that details. (grades, family, health, depression, can't handle being the guy, friends are now in the NFL. Can't handle changing coaching staff)

Simms was the recipient of a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit against Oklahoma Sooners in the regular season finale. Simms caught a short hitch and immediately turned upfield. Unfortunately, the catch would be the last of his career. Simms told the previous coaching staff he would be unable to play in the bowl game due to a leg injury less than an hour before the game.

Simms participated in the first two spring practices with the new coaching staff before the hamstring issue reoccurred and then Simms left the team for a personal matter. He has not returned.

Who knows. He might like Houston and his WR coach Tyron Carrier.

Reactions: lenny4wvu and JWG66
https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia-mountaineers/wvus-simms-on-to-another-chapter/

He missed spring practice due to personal issues. You never know what that details. (grades, family, health, depression, can't handle being the guy, friends are now in the NFL. Can't handle changing coaching staff)

Simms was the recipient of a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit against Oklahoma Sooners in the regular season finale. Simms caught a short hitch and immediately turned upfield. Unfortunately, the catch would be the last of his career. Simms told the previous coaching staff he would be unable to play in the bowl game due to a leg injury less than an hour before the game.

Simms participated in the first two spring practices with the new coaching staff before the hamstring issue reoccurred and then Simms left the team for a personal matter. He has not returned.

Who knows. He might like Houston and his WR coach Tyron Carrier.

His Dad is involved.
Think his Dad wants something else for his son or he truthfully was upset by the reactions of some fans to his son.
But his dad is in his ear.

Reactions: lenny4wvu and JWG66
His Dad is involved.
Think his Dad wants something else for his son or he truthfully was upset by the reactions of some fans to his son.
But his dad is in his ear.

His dad seems like a cool dude on twitter. Always RT'ing or Liking WVU related things. All the way up till today, actually. He gave me hope that Simms was maybe gonna stay.

Don't think he is going to Houston.

Marcus Simms is great but Cougar High has a lot of WRs with his skill set.
Including Marquez Stevenson

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Cougar High Fans aren't acting like he is.

There is no shortage of 6 foot receivers who can run on their roster.
Maybe if he was a taller receiver they would be interested.

Think he is staying in the area.
I would say Maryland.

I would say you smoke weed. Why would he go sit the bench when he could play right away.

When is he eligible to graduate?

I think he can get a waiver if needed if not since there was a coaching change plus a death in his family.
He has a few things he could use as a waiver.

The WR position he plays is slated to go to a returning starter at UH.
A guy who caught almost 80 passes. Plus they have 2-3 other WRs with his skill set.

I will say this.

There are certain positions you don't want to lose players in.

You are not Iowa.
Dana recruited the position well enough that you have enough talent at that position.

A projected starter on the OL or DL leaving would have been different

I will say this.

There are certain positions you don't want to lose players in.

You are not Iowa.
Dana recruited the position well enough that you have enough talent at that position.

A projected starter on the OL or DL leaving would have been different

This is true. Even a LB leaving this year would hurt more. But the OL and DL have been thin for years. Haven't had a truly full OL since the Dandy Don Days.

We have better receivers than Simms on the roster. If they pan out or not is the question.

Simms was finding out just how lucky he had it with Grier at QB. He probably didn't want to put in extra effort or try being the leader for the young wide outs.

Good luck to the speedy little fellow.

I wouldn't say all that WVUAllen.

I would say WRs are a dime a dozen because of how Dana recruited.

Some other positions would have been different.
Regarding the OL. WV has produce some players but not the overall quality and depth.

Think Neal Brown is looking to build a bigger OL.
Give me 5 maulers up front and any skill player will look good

This is true. Even a LB leaving this year would hurt more. But the OL and DL have been thin for years. Haven't had a truly full OL since the Dandy Don Days.
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but as I recall, in 1988 Coach Nehlen would replace the entire offensive line on the 3rd series and maybe every 3rd series after that. That was one of the reasons we were so good again in '89. That starting line with Kevin Koken, Brian Smider, Rick Phillips (RIP), John Stroia, and Bob Kovach was as good as I have seen at WVU. You look at the names on that roster, on both sides of the ball, and it is not surprising the Mountaineers played for the NC that year. Too bad Major got hurt in the 1st series against ND.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but as I recall, in 1988 Coach Nehlen would replace the entire offensive line on the 3rd series and maybe every 3rd series after that. That was one of the reasons we were so good again in '89. That starting line with Kevin Koken, Brian Smider, Rick Phillips (RIP), John Stroia, and Bob Kovach was as good as I have seen at WVU. You look at the names on that roster, on both sides of the ball, and it is not surprising the Mountaineers played for the NC that year. Too bad Major got hurt in the 1st series against ND.
Euell, you are correct. Not every 3rd series, but most. He did this for years. Also DN recruited 5 OL most years. He developed most of them by RSing their FR year. It was a right of passage to start your RSR year. Always had upper classmen manning the line as starters and most of the 2nd team. It wasn't until RR came along and wanted much lighter / quicker lineman for the spread option. With that he didn't need the 18-20+ OL schollies. It was that way on both sides of the line. Skill positions over beef every year, year after year. Hopefully Brown fixes this.

Euell, you are correct. Not every 3rd series, but most. He did this for years. Also DN recruited 5 OL most years. He developed most of them by RSing their FR year. It was a right of passage to start your RSR year. Always had upper classmen manning the line as starters and most of the 2nd team. It wasn't until RR came along and wanted much lighter / quicker lineman for the spread option. With that he didn't need the 18-20+ OL schollies. It was that way on both sides of the line. Skill positions over beef every year, year after year. Hopefully Brown fixes this.

The ideal is 5 a year. But 5 players that can play Tackle and then choose the ones who can't play tackle to move inside.
The issue wasn't so much Dana but Joe Wickline. He recruited a bunch of OG. WV really needs a JUCO OT next year.
They have someone to play LT this year but he doesn't have any eligibility after this year.
RT is going to be a problem. But you could get by at RT if you have a mobile QB.
Sometimes it is good to have a guard there just as long as he can get a push so you can run a lot of off tackle.

Much better than getting emotional over a WR.
I think losing Colton McKivitz would have been a lot worse.
Some people want to stir the shit.

So far this thread is about a FB post. Has there been anything official from the athletic department regarding this?

Transfer Portal no longer involves the school.
At anytime a player can transfer without telling the school.
Before players would want to transfer and coaches wouldn't let them.
They had all the power. They would tell them to wait 2 weeks.
Now a player can announce it himself.
According to everyone involved his name is in the portal.

Sweetie pie Townes. I'm thinking they have to tell somebody. They don't have to ask permission sweetheart.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT