ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Penn State call a running play?

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Penn State blew it with that call.

Down 1 point, first down a must or you lose and you run on a handoff? On 4th and 5 in final minutes?

Pass the damn thing! Catch it 5.5 yards away and you keep going for the game-winning field goal.

27-26 Ohio State.

Hell, I still haven't recovered from my alma mater almost blowing a 25-point lead, but the Nittany Lions coach was out of his mind to call a running play. That one will be discussed in a meltdown on the Penn State board.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14
O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17
U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence
N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6
T rampled then tip-toed against Texas Tech, 42-34
A nnihilate Kansas
I ncinerate Iowa State
N ail Baylor
E rectile dysfunction Texas
E lectrify TCU
R eam Oklahoma State
S laughter Oklahoma

Down 1 point, first down a must or you lose and you run on a handoff? On 4th and 5 in final minutes?

Pass the damn thing! Catch it 5.5 yards away and you keep going for the game-winning field goal.

27-26 Ohio State.

Hell, I still haven't recovered from my alma mater almost blowing a 25-point lead, but the Nittany Lions coach was out of his mind to call a running play. That one will be discussed in a meltdown on the Penn State board.

A nnihilate Kansas
I ncinerate Iowa State
N ail Baylor
E lectrify TCU
R eam Oklahoma State
S laughter Oklahoma
Do you know who their coach is? It shouldn't surprise anyone.

The Ghost of JoePa whispering in the HC's ear, "Run,run... It worked against Temple in '71."

27-26 Ohio State.

A nnihilate Kansas
I ncinerate Iowa State
N ail Baylor
E lectrify TCU
R eam Oklahoma State
S laughter Oklahoma

they have had success in the past pounding it up inside....

That guy is a good coach but that was the worst call ever. What the hell? He deserves ripped. Idiot call.

He thought that the Buckeyes would be surprised by the call, but five-star DE Chase Young wasn't surprised.

He thought that the Buckeyes would be surprised by the call, but five-star DE Chase Young wasn't surprised.
I would have expected McSorley on a draw so a run wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

McSorley was gashing them. Should’ve called a pass and give him the option to scramble.
Plus Franklin wasted 2 timeouts, so that when they were stopped short, he only had 1 TO left to stop clock. Psu could’ve gotten ball back- albeit with limited time- if they stopped osu on downs. But his taking the extra TO sealed their fate.

I would have expected McSorley on a draw so a run wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

So why did they hand the ball to Sanders? McSorley just ran for 9 yards. I still say it should have been a pass play, but a run play picked the wrong guy, too.

T ore up, then tip-toed against Texas Tech, 42-34

A nnihilate Kansas

I ncinerate Iowa State

N ail Baylor

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma