ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be our HBC for the

I still have a photo of one of his assistant coaches at the Sports Page after 1 am on a Friday evening the day before we got eviscerated by K-State 55-14
Unfortunately I’m surprised Dana wasn’t with him

So was that amazing coaching by Wanny or unbelievably dumb coaching by RR? This exemplifies what you and I both know, yet you are refusing to entertain as even a possibility. And that is the fact that there are games where one team lost the game more so than the other team won it. Such as when a team with 10 wins and the ability to pummel Oklahoma loses at home to a 4 win team by not making routine plays, missing multiple chip shot field goals, missing tackles, etc... And that usually happens when the team is too busy looking ahead and not taking it one game at a time.*

*Note I keep using cliches in this thread because there are so many to describe this very concept of a team just going through the motions and losing a very winnable game. For something that isn't real, there seem to be a bunch of adages and colloquialisms about it.
If you were at that game you would know that Pat was given some shitty angles to make those “chip shots”.The players ran the plays the way they were given. Rod was looking ahead to coaching at Michigan instead of preparing for this game.

His lack of preparation led to that outcome. I loved him when he was here, but he f$&ked over WVU when we needed him the most.

If you were at that game you would know that Pat was given some shitty angles to make those “chip shots”.The players ran the plays the way they were given. Rod was looking ahead to coaching at Michigan instead of preparing for this game.

His lack of preparation led to that outcome. I loved him when he was here, but he f$&ked over WVU when we needed him the most.
Michigan wasn't even considering RR at the time of the Pitt game in 2007. They pursued Les Miles and when he declined, they targeted Greg Schiano Keep telling that lie if it makes you feel better.

Reactions: WVUALLEN

Regarding Pat, those were very makable for him. With our last few kickers we forgot how good it was to have a kicker like Pat. But that is my point, these guys were playing well below the level they had already proved they could play.
The upset did not make Pitt the better football team or Wanny the better coach in 2007 which WESTBGVA postulates by his refutation that perhaps Troy beat LSU because the Tigers were not as invested in playing Troy as much as they were in playing conference rivals.

Last edited:
Troy was a classic trap game. LSU was looking ahead to the next two teams on the schedule which were both highly ranked conference rivals. Vic Koenning's defense forced a bunch of turnovers and Troy's RB had a big day. Troy took them off guard. LSU bounced back and won their next few games against ranked teams. Troy lost their next game to South Alabama, and then won out against a bunch of nobodies. The win probably had more to do with Vic Koenning's defense than anything else, forcing 4 turnovers.

I don't get it. WESTBGVA likes this post when it just states the same thing he has been arguing with me isn't the case.

He's a failure at Houston, but he was more than just a step over Brown imo. These last 4 years are totally forgettable. There are seasons and games under Dana that fans remember and will keep remembering. We've had really nothing under Brown's coaching that is memorable except not going for it on 4th and 1 against Pitt. We have had a few really good wins under Brown but they are still forgettable to most fans. Neal's teams are not exciting in any way, and Neal is very dull and boring. Dana at least had an edge and swag about him. Neal just might be the most dull and boring coach I've ever witnessed.
I feel like that not going for it on and 4th and a foot against Pitt was the catalyst for the whole 2022 season. I could not believe it when he did it and it irks me to this very day.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
That was a great win for Troy but Scott Frost was only a head coach for 6 full seasons and he only had 1 winning season in the 6 years. That was his first year. They were 4-8 the year Troy beat them. Heck Nebraska has only had one winning season in the 8 years since they ran Pelini off after 2014. Brown’s offenses have only averaged about 28 points a game. He scored 19 to win that one. Koenig defense played a big role too.
The LSU win was truly a good win. It was Ogeron’s first year coaching but they had a good season. It’s notable that Dave Aranda was running LSU’s defense then.

I feel like that not going for it on and 4th and a foot against Pitt was the catalyst for the whole 2022 season. I could not believe it when he did it and it irks me to this very day.
Ehhh... there is a history of it.

People forget that on Spitt's first possession in the 2007 game they throw an interception. WVU marches down to the one yard line and on 4th down Rod, instead of trying to pound it in called for McAfee. Which of course he missed. THAT set the tone for that game. When Wanny wouldn't accept the penalty (I think a delay, but not sure) to give Pat the better angle, that's when he should have sent the O back in. A 7 point lead perhaps changes everything, gets everyone loosened up a little, and maybe changes the complexion of the game.

Oh well...

Reactions: Euell and WVUALLEN
Regarding Pat, those were very makable for him. With our last few kickers we forgot how good it was to have a kicker like Pat. But that is my point, these guys were playing well below the level they had already proved they could play.
The upset did not make Pitt the better football team or Wanny the better coach in 2007 which WESTBGVA postulates by his refutation that perhaps Troy beat LSU because the Tigers were not as invested in playing Troy as much as they were in playing conference rivals.
Overlooking was a part, but our coach not being present for that game (literally and figuratively) had a bigger role.

I do agree with your main point.

Overlooking was a part, but our coach not being present for that game (literally and figuratively) had a bigger role.

I do agree with your main point.
What about all the assistant coaches? Where they also in a daydream daze?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT