ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be our HBC for the

The Dana hate in this thread is weird to me. I don't know about you all, but 8-4, 7-5 with an exciting offense sounds like heaven to me these days.
It’s all relative but what has happened is the slow descent of this program over the past decade as the bar slowly lowered to the point where WVU is no longer a relevant football program.

that's stupid..the greatest coach in college basketball is John Wooden..he was about a laid back as it gets

Educate yourself. The culture you create doesn’t need to be built on vitriol.

The Dana hate in this thread is weird to me. I don't know about you all, but 8-4, 7-5 with an exciting offense sounds like heaven to me these days.
I still have a photo of one of his assistant coaches at the Sports Page after 1 am on a Friday evening the day before we got eviscerated by K-State 55-14

I still have a photo of one of his assistant coaches at the Sports Page after 1 am on a Friday evening the day before we got eviscerated by K-State 55-14
At least they had an excuse. Neal and his staff have nothing. WVU were a way better team under Dana and its wasnt even close. Definitely had a ways to go still under him, but it was leaps and bounds more fun and entertaining than the garbage we've had with Kneel. Nobody is listening to your defense campaign for Neal. It has fallen on def ears except for a very small %. All you are doing is making yourself look like you dont care about WVU and just want to keep on sinking further, as long as we are PC.

there's just a small group of low information disgruntled quitters who are on message boards..in fact many violate the Rivals message board rules on a daily basis..It's conforting to know that there's level headed, non-emotional BOG members who are in charge and not some drunken so called fans who probably don't have a dime invested in the programs.

there's just a small group of low information disgruntled quitters who are on message boards..in fact many violate the Rivals message board rules on a daily basis..It's conforting to know that there's level headed, non-emotional BOG members who are in charge and not some drunken so called fans who probably don't have a dime invested in the programs.
Good lord man lol. Dont be this guy....

caucasian-man-crying-portrait-full-grown-heavy-wet-tears-31200443.jpg

says who? you don't know that..yeah we're so above a program like Troy..2-6 all time vs Navy

If you do not see how teams in the Big 12, ACC, SEC, Big 10 or PAC 12 would take WVU more seriously as a program than Troy, I doubt I can logically discuss anything else about college football with you.

Dana was an underacheiver relative to his talent and work ethic is what holds him back. I think most of the hate comes from when absolute morons like Buckaineer were trying to draw a false dichotomy of you either want Holgorsen or Brown. Two things can be true at once. First, Holgorsen has proven to be a better head coach than Brown given their respective bodies of work. Second, Holgorsen was not getting WVU to the level we had under Nehlen or RR and thus he was not the answer either.

Not competing with the excessively generous guaranteed deal of Houston was one decision WVU absolutely got right. Hiring Brown when Holgorsen inevitably took the Houston offer is a completely separate decision and one decision WVU absolutely botched.

Reactions: steeleer
that's not a shock, since you think teams don't prepare for every football game

Did I say that? You know there is a difference between "preparing differently" and "not preparing at all" correct? I assume you are not a child incapable of thinking beyond purely black and white contrasts. Are you honestly trying to say you do not believe college athletes will look at certain teams as "gimme" wins and not take practice before hand or in game performance during as seriously as they would say their top conference rivals? Again if you do not, I can't fathom you have any understanding of college sports given this is an obvious and basic concept.

• Haha
Reactions: WESTBGVA
Good lord man lol. Dont be this guy....

caucasian-man-crying-portrait-full-grown-heavy-wet-tears-31200443.jpg
6. No repetitive negative posting. What makes a repetitive post? If you come to the forum and consistently say the exact same thing about the exact same topic day in and day out, that is being repetitive. Be sure to understand that no one is saying that you can not be critical. But this site will not be overrun by the same people coming on the site day after day saying the same negative things...say goodbye

6. No repetitive negative posting. What makes a repetitive post? If you come to the forum and consistently say the exact same thing about the exact same topic day in and day out, that is being repetitive. Be sure to understand that no one is saying that you can not be critical. But this site will not be overrun by the same people coming on the site day after day saying the same negative things...say goodbye
Ok Karen. Turn me in lol.

• Haha
Ok Karen. Turn me in lol.
nah..I'll take the Karen's out..some of you didn't serve in the Military and are allergic to rules and regulations..I get that..eneough is enough...I'll hit the report button until somebody gets fed up and freezes that account, takes the trash out with the click of a mouse..have you ever even read the rules? or are you like the Biden's and rules don't apply to you? Semper Fi

Last edited:
Did I say that? You know there is a difference between "preparing differently" and "not preparing at all" correct? I assume you are not a child incapable of thinking beyond purely black and white contrasts. Are you honestly trying to say you do not believe college athletes will look at certain teams as "gimme" wins and not take practice before hand or in game performance during as seriously as they would say their top conference rivals? Again if you do not, I can't fathom you have any understanding of college sports given this is an obvious and basic concept.
you cannot be serious..The Bell Trolls for Thee..you have no idea how they prepared..teams don't change their routine based on an opponent..just another hater who doesn't understand football..at all

nah..I'll take the Karen's out..some of you didn't serve in the Military and are allergic to rules and regulations..I get that..eneough is enough...I'll hit the report button until somebody gets fed up and freezes that account, takes the trash out with the click of a mouse..have you ever even read the rules? or are you like the Biden's and rules don't apply to you? Semper Fi
Man. Chill out a bit.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Smh....

you cannot be serious..The Bell Trolls for Thee..you have no idea how they prepared..teams don't change their routine based on an opponent..just another hater who doesn't understand football..at all

Do you think that the players, and even the coaches, commit the exact same amount of energy and focus to each and every team on the schedule be it Alabama or Ball State? If you do, then say so and we can stop this right now because it is clear you know absolutely nothing about college sports in general. If you do not, then by definition you agree with my statement that when a coach is only able to beat good teams when his team is the big underdog that everyone, including the favored team is vastly overlooking, then the fact that the opposing team is not performing at their best is the more likely cause for the upset than great coaching by the underdog. If this were not true, explain why Brown has hasn't had a win as big a Troy's win over LSU in 4 years at WVU?

Last edited:
you're just making a futile attempt to minimize any success that N Brown has had.. the last sentence..Caridi stated that when Brown took over he'd never seen such a lack of talent on a roster in his 40 years of covering WVU football

you're just making a futile attempt to minimize any success that N Brown has had.. the last sentence..Caridi stated that when Brown took over he'd never seen such a lack of talent on a roster in his 40 years of covering WVU football

First, nice try deflecting. I'll accept your surrender to my point since you obviously are changing lanes and impugning motive since you cannot really argue my point. But I'll be magnanimous and indulge your new tact. Would you say the current roster is significantly better than 4 years ago? Marginally, but not significantly to the objective observer. The more important question would be: is the roster more talented now than the average season under Dana? That answer is a no and that is irrefutable. Add that this is coming from a guy critical of Dana at this same point in his WVU coaching career, so I have no love for the former HC. I did like the way Brown conducted himself and the face he put forward when he arrived in comparison to Holgorsen. However, results on the field are what matter and Neal has proven his ceiling here is maybe 9 wins at best.

First, nice try deflecting. I'll accept your surrender to my point since you obviously are changing lanes and impugning motive since you cannot really argue my point. But I'll be magnanimous and indulge your new tact. Would you say the current roster is significantly better than 4 years ago? Marginally, but not significantly to the objective observer. The more important question would be: is the roster more talented now than the average season under Dana? That answer is a no and that is irrefutable. Add that this is coming from a guy critical of Dana at this same point in his WVU coaching career, so I have no love for the former HC. I did like the way Brown conducted himself and the face he put forward when he arrived in comparison to Holgorsen. However, results on the field are what matter and Neal has proven his ceiling here is maybe 9 wins at best.
you're merely projecting when you state that those teams didn't have the same energy and focus..you can't measure that..sounds exactly like Sooner fans after the Fiesta Bowl..."we just didn't want to be there" "they didn't care about playing WVU"..blah blah
I'll say this though, there wasn't one player on the Troy roster who would have started for LSU, Nebraska, or Clemson..so a masterful coaching job?

Dana was an underacheiver relative to his talent and work ethic is what holds him back. I think most of the hate comes from when absolute morons like Buckaineer were trying to draw a false dichotomy of you either want Holgorsen or Brown. Two things can be true at once. First, Holgorsen has proven to be a better head coach than Brown given their respective bodies of work. Second, Holgorsen was not getting WVU to the level we had under Nehlen or RR and thus he was not the answer either.

Not competing with the excessively generous guaranteed deal of Houston was one decision WVU absolutely got right. Hiring Brown when Holgorsen inevitably took the Houston offer is a completely separate decision and one decision WVU absolutely botched.
Tons of truth here. WVU deserves better than either of those guys, but at least we were considered f$&king cool with Dana here.

Dude, Kneel has done a more than adequate job of minimizing his success here. We’re just documenting it.

It doesn't matter what he did at Troy anymore. That only mattered when he was hired. 4-5 years in it only matters what he has done at WVU, and what he has done has been historically bad. Neal Brown is not a P5 level coach and WVU will not be truly good again until we get a good P5 level coach. BGVA can get as emotional and mad as he wants, but it doesnt change the facts.

While that may be true, I don’t see where the talent has improved any since Brown took over. In fact, correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to notice we are competing with MAC caliber teams for recruits now

you're merely projecting when you state that those teams didn't have the same energy and focus..you can't measure that..sounds exactly like Sooner fans after the Fiesta Bowl..."we just didn't want to be there" "they didn't care about playing WVU"..blah blah
I'll say this though, there wasn't one player on the Troy roster who would have started for LSU, Nebraska, or Clemson..so a masterful coaching job?

How do really elite teams sometimes get upset by really bad teams? By your reasoning means WVU in 2007 was a worse team and coached more poorly than Pitt. Or maybe the concept of a team just going through the motions or phoning it is a real thing. But you do not think those are real concepts. Lastly if you cannot actually see the difference between a team's focus and energy playing a warm up D2 school and playing a ranked conference rival, you are blind.

While that may be true, I don’t see where the talent has improved any since Brown took over. In fact, correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to notice we are competing with MAC caliber teams for recruits now
at the very least two on the OL will be drafted this year..and the first time in four years two QB's who can out run a sloth

How do really elite teams sometimes get upset by really bad teams? By your reasoning means WVU in 2007 was a worse team and coached more poorly than Pitt. Or maybe the concept of a team just going through the motions or phoning it is a real thing. But you do not think those are real concepts. Lastly if you cannot actually see the difference between a team's focus and energy playing a warm up D2 school and playing a ranked conference rival, you are blind.
Neal Brown had the team believing that they could win the game ... so you think WVU wasn't up for Pitt and all that was at stake?.. ok we're done....and Troy wasn't a bad football team..

Neal Brown had the team believing that they could win the game ... so you think WVU wasn't up for Pitt and all that was at stake?.. ok we're done....and Troy wasn't a bad football team..

Why did WVU lose to Pitt then in 2007? If Pitt was not a far worse team and Wanny a career lesser coach than RR, how was it that WVU lost. Also, explain why if Brown has such a great list of accomplishments that in 4 years here he has failed to do what he did at Troy? Don't you dare say its because Troy is a better program in general or that it was when Brown took over there versus here lest you disprove that the Corps doesn't make stupid Marines.

a Pitt LB explained why we lost.. said that they couldn't believe that we didn't throw the ball when Pitt had eight near the line on every play to stop the run.

Reactions: Euell
a Pitt LB explained why we lost.. said that they couldn't believe that we didn't throw the ball when Pitt had eight near the line on every play to stop the run.

So was that amazing coaching by Wanny or unbelievably dumb coaching by RR? This exemplifies what you and I both know, yet you are refusing to entertain as even a possibility. And that is the fact that there are games where one team lost the game more so than the other team won it. Such as when a team with 10 wins and the ability to pummel Oklahoma loses at home to a 4 win team by not making routine plays, missing multiple chip shot field goals, missing tackles, etc... And that usually happens when the team is too busy looking ahead and not taking it one game at a time.*

*Note I keep using cliches in this thread because there are so many to describe this very concept of a team just going through the motions and losing a very winnable game. For something that isn't real, there seem to be a bunch of adages and colloquialisms about it.

Troy was a classic trap game. LSU was looking ahead to the next two teams on the schedule which were both highly ranked conference rivals. Vic Koenning's defense forced a bunch of turnovers and Troy's RB had a big day. Troy took them off guard. LSU bounced back and won their next few games against ranked teams. Troy lost their next game to South Alabama, and then won out against a bunch of nobodies. The win probably had more to do with Vic Koenning's defense than anything else, forcing 4 turnovers.

He won 8 games twice and 10 games twice. The other 4 seasons he was, 7-6, 4-8, 7-6 and 7-6. He was average with a shitty defense. In 2012 he was ranked to finish 2nd in Big 12 and choked on his red bull and coke.

Offense yes but could he win with it when it mattered most?

What were his big wins?
Clemson Orange Bowl (with another coaches players. A team finished in a 3 way share of Big East and won tie breaker to be in Orange Bowl).
#11 Oklahoma State (H)
#4 Baylor (H) - Baylor has never won in Morgantown including against sub par Brown.
Won at Texas

Finished season ranked 3 times (2011, 2016, 2018).
Not a long list of success.

I'm not a Bill Stewart fan but I would take his 9 win average over Dana anytime.

EDIT 2-5 in Bowl games.

He won 8 games twice and 10 games twice. The other 4 seasons he was, 7-6, 4-8, 7-6 and 7-6. He was average with a shitty defense. In 2012 he was ranked to finish 2nd in Big 12 and choked on his red bull and coke.

Offense yes but could he win with it when it mattered most?

What were his big wins?
Clemson Orange Bowl (with another coaches players. A team finished in a 3 way share of Big East and won tie breaker to be in Orange Bowl).
#11 Oklahoma State (H)
#4 Baylor (H) - Baylor has never won in Morgantown including against sub par Brown.
Won at Texas

Finished season ranked 3 times (2011, 2016, 2018).
Not a long list of success.

I'm not a Bill Stewart fan but I would take his 9 win average over Dana anytime.

EDIT 2-5 in Bowl games.
In no way shape or form was Dana the best coach we could have, and he definitely left a lot to be desired, but compared to what we have now it was waaaaaaaay better football in every way imaginable, especially after Koenning got run out for being a Christian.

Reactions: steeleer
In no way shape or form was Dana the best coach we could have, and he definitely left a lot to be desired, but compared to what we have now it was waaaaaaaay better football in every way imaginable, especially after Koenning got run out for being a Christian.
I don't consider Dana to be way better than anyone. But he is a step above Brown when here at WVU. Dana is a failure at Houston. Brown had nothing to do with Koenning being pushed out. See Gordon Gee for that debacle.

It would not have mattered if Koenning was here or not Brown still doesn't finish with a good season.

I don't consider Dana to be way better than anyone. But he is a step above Brown when here at WVU. Dana is a failure at Houston. Brown had nothing to do with Koenning being pushed out. See Gordon Gee for that debacle.

It would not have mattered if Koenning was here or not Brown still doesn't finish with a good season.
He's a failure at Houston, but he was more than just a step over Brown imo. These last 4 years are totally forgettable. There are seasons and games under Dana that fans remember and will keep remembering. We've had really nothing under Brown's coaching that is memorable except not going for it on 4th and 1 against Pitt. We have had a few really good wins under Brown but they are still forgettable to most fans. Neal's teams are not exciting in any way, and Neal is very dull and boring. Dana at least had an edge and swag about him. Neal just might be the most dull and boring coach I've ever witnessed.

hard edge and swag..Baylor put 56 pts on us in one half of football..that's a bit unforgettable. At least for me..well Brown has this year and I'm still excited to see the 2023 version of the West Virginia Mountaineer football team...damn me for trying to be a bit positive for WVU on a WVU sports message board..

hard edge and swag..Baylor put 56 pts on us in one half of football..that's a bit unforgettable. At least for me..well Brown has this year and I'm still excited to see the 2023 version of the West Virginia Mountaineer football team...damn me for trying to be a bit positive for WVU on a WVU sports message board..
Nothing wrong with being positive. I wish I felt more of that but after last year it's going to take brown coaching us into a heck of a season to win me back on his bandwagon. I'll always cheer for the kids and school no matter what.

only two things really irk me..negativty and people who call a magazine a "clip"...if they do hire another coach I don't care if he eats organic tofu and attends Phish concerts..I'll back him till the next one.I'm going to log out until a week before the Penn St game..have at it and good luck everyone

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT