ADVERTISEMENT

When the ACC folds

Some say Big12 takes 4 from ACC when they implode.
"Value added" seems to be the only consideration. I'd like some drivable away games and old rivals.
Big12 takes VA Tech, Pitt, NC State. I am no fan of GA Tech, but they may make sense. Syracuse and Louisville are probably in the conversation.

Some say Big12 takes 4 from ACC when they implode.
"Value added" seems to be the only consideration. I'd like some drivable away games and old rivals.
Big12 takes VA Tech, Pitt, NC State. I am no fan of GA Tech, but they may make sense. Syracuse and Louisville are probably in the conversation.
I think the number becomes 22. Big 10 sits at 20 now. Likely will add Stanford and Cal to make 22. SEC sits at 16. I think SEC eventually adds FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, Miami, GT or NC State to make 22. The Big12 then adds VT, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, NC State or GT, Boston College to make 22. All of this is only my opinion as I’ve not seen any of this mentioned. Just makes sense to me and closes out expansion with the major schools competing.

I think the number becomes 22. Big 10 sits at 20 now. Likely will add Stanford and Cal to make 22. SEC sits at 16. I think SEC eventually adds FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, Miami, GT or NC State to make 22. The Big12 then adds VT, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, NC State or GT, Boston College to make 22. All of this is only my opinion as I’ve not seen any of this mentioned. Just makes sense to me and closes out expansion with the major schools competing.
If the Sec goes to 22 then I think Wvu has a shot. I can't see the Sec adding Nc State or Ga Tech. Texas is the only team that they have added where they already had an existing team in place.

1.) FSU plans to leave ASAP
2.) Clemson will likely follow
Eventually they will leave but it's easier said than done. The contract they signed pretty much married them to the Acc for the foreseeable future. They can huff and puff all they want but there stuck for now.

If the Sec goes to 22 then I think Wvu has a shot. I can't see the Sec adding Nc State or Ga Tech. Texas is the only team that they have added where they already had an existing team in place.
They already had Vanderbilt and Tennessee as well. And honestly, I think VT would have a better chance than WVU to get the SEC. However, I definitely see your point. Just don’t think the SEC will see market value with WVU

I see UVa and UNC in B1G - not SEC.
I think they are better fit academically and for Olympic sports. But SEC may want Virginia and NC markets... so maybe VaTech & NC State end up in SEC.
ACC is going to break-up. Writing is on the wall.

I see UVa and UNC in B1G - not SEC.
I think they are better fit academically and for Olympic sports. But SEC may want Virginia and NC markets... so maybe VaTech & NC State end up in SEC.
ACC is going to break-up. Writing is on the wall.
It’s all about the old south in the SEC. Virginia, North Carolina fit. West Virginia went against the south. That wasn’t forgotten and probably why they’ve passed on WVU at least twice.

They already had Vanderbilt and Tennessee as well. And honestly, I think VT would have a better chance than WVU to get the SEC. However, I definitely see your point. Just don’t think the SEC will see market value with WVU
Vanderbilt and Tennessee were original members of the Sec as were all the other teams in states where there is overlap. The Sec has always stated they like to add teams that are not in states where they have an existing team. They also like teams that fit their culture. One of reasons Fsu and Clemson arent there is because there are already existing sec teams within their states. There is also a great deal of oppostion to these two programs from existing Sec members. These two teams already exist within the Sec's blueprint. In 2011 Luck stated the Sec was looking at wvu as a fall back option if missouri didn't join the league. Missouri always wanted to be in the big 10 and were holding out hope that big 10 would change their mind and let them in. If that would have happened it could have been us. They have already considered us once doesn't mean it can't happen again.

Vanderbilt and Tennessee were original members of the Sec as were all the other teams in states where there is overlap. The Sec has always stated they like to add teams that are not in states where they have an existing team. They also like teams that fit their culture. One of reasons Fsu and Clemson arent there is because there are already existing sec teams within their states. There is also a great deal of oppostion to these two programs from existing Sec members. These two teams already exist within the Sec's blueprint. In 2011 Luck stated the Sec was looking at wvu as a fall back option if missouri didn't join the league. Missouri always wanted to be in the big 10 and were holding out hope that big 10 would change their mind and let them in. If that would have happened it could have been us. They have already considered us once doesn't mean it can't happen again.
I heard that argument many times. Again, not saying you’re wrong. While I would’ve loved the SEC, I don’t believe any of us would love it now. Sure, the school would make a ton of money, but we don’t follow WVU because we love financial smack lol. It would be a death blow to our football program. I would now prefer to remain where we are now.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I heard that argument many times. Again, not saying you’re wrong. While I would’ve loved the SEC, I don’t believe any of us would love it now. Sure, the school would make a ton of money, but we don’t follow WVU because we love financial smack lol. It would be a death blow to our football program. I would now prefer to remain where we are now.
Isn't the football team dead already?

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
The Sec would present problems for sure but it would make more sense geographically. People say geography does not matter but I don't believe that. The only reason the big 10 went to the west coast is they lost the Oklahoma, Texas sweepstakes to the Sec. I don't think the Big 12 is the best place for Wvu and the new additions move us further away from the geographic center. If this would have been Acc teams added I would have felt much better but we just added some of the worst P5 programs there are. Outside of the Texas Am move to the Sec and Utah to the Pac 12 none of the others that have moved have really had much success in their new home. When Utah moved to the pac it didnt really change their natural recruiting territory since the mwc overlapped it.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
The Sec would present problems for sure but it would make more sense geographically. People say geography does not matter but I don't believe that. The only reason the big 10 went to the west coast is they lost the Oklahoma, Texas sweepstakes to the Sec. I don't think the Big 12 is the best place for Wvu and the new additions move us further away from the geographic center. If this would have been Acc teams added I would have felt much better but we just added some of the worst P5 programs there are. Outside of the Texas Am move to the Sec and Utah to the Pac 12 none of the others that have moved have really had much success in their new home. When Utah moved to the pac it didnt really change their natural recruiting territory since the mwc overlapped it.
I think you’re right. And I think USC and UCLA will flop in the Big10. Honestly, USC has been irrelevant since Pete Carroll left and Leinart and Bush went to the NFL. UCLA might do ok in basketball. Texas will continue to be a flop. Oklahoma is gonna get a huge reality check and will likely become an 8 win a year program. If I were fans of those 4 schools I would be pissed off. There was no reason for those 4 schools to make those moves. None whatsoever. Pure greed and nothing more. And disrespectful to their diehard fans who enjoyed winning. I can’t fault Washington and Oregon for leaving. They had to. The league was done. I actually think Washington will be the only one that will do well. They are easily the most underrated program in college football. Their records and accomplishments of the last century would make you think they’re a blueblood. I think they will be a Wisconsin type program in the Big 10. Oregon will flop

Last edited:
There are only four programs in the ACC that have any real value: FSU, CU, Duke, and Carolina -once you get past that you're left with a bunch of meh programs and therein lies the rub. So, when the ACC does fall apart, and the vultures start circling, it'll be time to find out: which programs actually add value to the Big XII...and there are really only two programs:

UVA - basketball
U of L - basketball

maybe...maybe

Miami

but this isn't the 80s anymore.

So when it comes to expansion, I get the whole geographic arguement, but the problem is...if you're going to raid the ACC, then you're going to end up with a bunch of Vandys..and who wants that garbage?

There are only four programs in the ACC that have any real value: FSU, CU, Duke, and Carolina -once you get past that you're left with a bunch of meh programs and therein lies the rub. So, when the ACC does fall apart, and the vultures start circling, it'll be time to find out: which programs actually add value to the Big XII...and there are really only two programs:

UVA - basketball
U of L - basketball

maybe...maybe

Miami

So when it comes to expansion, I get the whole geographic arguement, but the problem is...if you're going to raid the ACC, then you're going to end up with a bunch of Vandys..and who wants that garbage?
You’re underestimating Virginia. I guarantee you if you asked both the Big10 and SEC which of the ACC schools are of most value and they will say UNC, UVA, FSU, Clemson. The rest aren’t even close. You’re gonna see Duke and Wake Forest completely left out if the ACC loses its P5 status. The next tier in the ACC of value would be GT, NC State, Pitt, Miami, Syracuse, Boston College, VT, Louisville

Disagree. Duke is a national brand --basketball--, they have a rabid fan base --basketball-, and has pretty solid academics. Duke adds value to the basketball side of things.... Where ever NC goes, Duke will be sure to follow. That rilvary puts eyeballs on TV sets.

Also think you have three tiers in the ACC

Tier 1 - FSU, CU, and NC - those are the prizes
Tier 2 - Duke, UVA, Miami, sPitt and U of L
Tier 3 - everyone else and they'll be playing in either C-USA or the Sunbelt conference

Disagree. Duke is a national brand --basketball--, they have a rabid fan base --basketball-, and has pretty solid academics. Duke adds value to the basketball side of things.... Where ever NC goes, Duke will be sure to follow. That rilvary puts eyeballs on TV sets.

Also think you have three tiers in the ACC

Tier 1 - FSU, CU, and NC - those are the prizes
Tier 2 - Duke, UVA, Miami, sPitt and U of L
Tier 3 - everyone else and they'll be playing in either C-USA or the Sunbelt conference
Virginia has no presence in either Big10 or SEC. They offer a great market and a very very fertile recruiting ground. They have AAU academics. Large endowment. Same thing with UNC. Both are THE state universities. Duke, while a blueblood in basketball, they are terrible in football. They’re a private school and a small enrollment. They’re not gonna move the needle enough. Best case scenario, the Big 12 takes them, but I can see many schools of more value to add before Duke.

Which market does UVA take up? The DC market is owned by UMD - always has been-- and the rest of VA is split between UVA and VT....

Which market does UVA take up? The DC market is owned by UMD - always has been-- and the rest of VA is split between UVA and VT....
UVA has all of Virginia. Always has. Ask people around Virginia and they look down on VT. Always have. The ACC didn’t even want VT. The state of Virginia got involved to force their hand. We can agree to disagree

Disagree with that statement. Until that 1990s, that may have been a true statement, but since then, VT's popularity has increased and the Commonwealth is somewhat split down the middle. And when you get down into the tidewater area, you'll find a lot of Carolina blue.

Also disagree about Duke...they're somewhat of a national brand and that adds the all important advertising dollar and that's what this whole expansion thing is all about.

Disagree with that statement. Until that 1990s, that may have been a true statement, but since then, VT's popularity has increased and the Commonwealth is somewhat split down the middle. And when you get down into the tidewater area, you'll find a lot of Carolina blue.

Also disagree about Duke...they're somewhat of a national brand and that adds the all important advertising dollar and that's what this whole expansion thing is all about.
Well, let’s see how it plays out. I’m hoping the Big 12 can eventually grab VT

Aside from the SEC, B12, and BIG becoming mega conferences, how does this play out in making bowl matchups. Lots of teams may not make it to 6 wins. And what about the automatic qualifiers in the NCAA bball tourney? And how do you schedule a 20 team conference bball tourney?

Forget Pitt. Let them join the Mountain East Conference for all I care. Eastern 8 days back in the 70s, Pitt bolted to join the new Big East leaving us behind. We eventually EARNED our way into the new Big East football and when the ACC came calling, off they left us behind playing the Sweet Caroline song over the PA to rub it in.

Let them rot.

I think you’re right. And I think USC and UCLA will flop in the Big10. Honestly, USC has been irrelevant since Pete Carroll left and Leinart and Bush went to the NFL. UCLA might do ok in basketball. Texas will continue to be a flop. Oklahoma is gonna get a huge reality check and will likely become an 8 win a year program. If I were fans of those 4 schools I would be pissed off. There was no reason for those 4 schools to make those moves. None whatsoever. Pure greed and nothing more. And disrespectful to their diehard fans who enjoyed winning. I can’t fault Washington and Oregon for leaving. They had to. The league was done. I actually think Washington will be the only one that will do well. They are easily the most underrated program in college football. Their records and accomplishments of the last century would make you think they’re a blueblood. I think they will be a Wisconsin type program in the Big 10. Oregon will flop
They followed the money.

I guess I should have said good reasons....

FSU can have all the plans in the world....they aren't going anywhere in the next decade.
One more ACC school joins their screams then they have 8 and conference crumbles. ESPN controls the purse strings. They can cut bait anytime.

When it comes down to a vote for any ACC school outside of FSU and Clemson, WVU needs to vote NO!

That team will still likely get enough votes to be accepted but:
1) It won't be unanimous, so that will likely stick in that team's craw
2) It will be a reflection of how the ACC didn't think WVU was good enough. Now the shoe is on the other foot, let's look down our noses on them and pinch them shut from the stench. What goes around comes around and we haven't forgotten.
3) It will likely lead to some renewed and strengthened rivalries. Those may be hard to come by in a conference as spread out as this one is.

Oh yes, try to talk everyone into blackballing Spitt and VT. No reason other than the principle of the matter.

When it comes down to a vote for any ACC school outside of FSU and Clemson, WVU needs to vote NO!

2) It will be a reflection of how the ACC didn't think WVU was good enough. Now the shoe is on the other foot, let's look down our noses on them and pinch them shut from the stench. What goes around comes around and we haven't forgotten.
3) It will likely lead to some renewed and strengthened rivalries. Those may be hard to come by in a conference as spread out as this one is.

Oh yes, try to talk everyone into blackballing Spitt and VT. No reason other than the principle of the matter.
There were many ACC schools who voted yes for WVU. WVU came close. Not sure I understand your reasoning.

pssst WVU played UVA in two bowl games....go back and take a look at UVA's half time shows and come back

UVA - basketball
U of L - basketball

maybe...maybe

Miami

The Big 12 just took the PAC's garbage, so why not the ACC's?

Do we allow sPitt in or do we fight to keep that trash out ??

Btw - let’s all give thanks to the good work that Ollie did to get us in the Big Xii
let’s all give thanks to the good work that Ollie did to get us in the Big Xii

Amen! Big 12, SEC and Big 10 will be only surviving college football conferences in America.

There were many ACC schools who voted yes for WVU. WVU came close. Not sure I understand your reasoning.
The problem has always been the North Carolina schools and UVA that blocked WVU from the conference.

You need 100% votes to even asked. No such thing as close. It's either yes or no.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT