ADVERTISEMENT

What's the opportunity cost of NBs continuance?

WVU_Dave

All-American
Jan 7, 2008
Dulce Base - 7 Levels Down
I mean if we lose more players and have more players to recruit there is a cost. There's a cost to the current team learning a new system that could head start this year. There's fans not being in the stands spending money. There's lower season ticket sales for next year. What else?

Apparently this cost people talk about only happens to WVU. I've seen a lot of football teams that were crap last year that are now good.

Reactions: Motormaster
It will be costly to keep him for another year for sure. The writing is on the wall. He is like the #1 ranked hot seat coach right now. Players know it, fans know it, recruits know it and he knows it. At this point finding his replacement asap is the best way to begin the process of rebuilding the team, imo. Any team can turn it around in a year like Allen said, but I dont see it happening as long as Neal is here. Let a new coach really turn it around

Reactions: pressvirginia
The cost is greater to keep him around than to pay him his money and move on.

The program is at its lowest point in 50 years, players are leaving in masse, fan support and engagement is essentially nil.

It will only get worse until he's gone.

Whatever the cost, pay it. And be prepared to pay $5Mill for the
next guy. Go after any of these five:

Dave Clausen .. currently making 3.6M
Lance Leipold .. currently making 2.8M
Matt Rhule .. currently unemployed
Mike Norvell .. currently making 2.7M
Gus Malzahn .. currently making 2.3M

Last edited:

Go to Rhule and offer him nothing. He gets paid by the Panthers for the next 4 years of his contract. The contract clause is that any money he makes as a coach during that time is subtracted from what the Panthers owe which is more than any program should be willing to pay.

Dave Clausen has already said he will not leave Wake Forest
Lance Leipold will be at Nebraska next year
Matt Rhule will be in Wisconsin
Mike Norvell coaches at Florida State
Gus Malazahn at UCF (possibility)

I mean if we lose more players and have more players to recruit there is a cost. There's a cost to the current team learning a new system that could head start this year. There's fans not being in the stands spending money. There's lower season ticket sales for next year. What else?
That opportunity cost would be based on a bunch of assumptions, so opportunity cost would only be a guess. The biggest assumption is that our next coach will be better than our current coach. You know, like those who believed Neal would be better than Dana was. I’m not defending Dana.

What’s the opportunity cost if the next coach is worse than Neal.

If the next is worse than Neal then burn it to the ground.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT