ADVERTISEMENT

What's Coach Eilert going to bring to the actual basketball of this all

pressvirginia

All-Conference
Gold Member
May 23, 2015
first off, shout out to Vernon again, appreciate all the info and endless digging, explaining and updates amid the chaotic week and weekend. it's really nice to be on the site and obtain the pulse of WVU. so thanks man, sincerely.

switching gears from the soap opera to basketball, Eilert's been with Huggins for 17 years or so (including all of the press era). a former player at K-State, actually thinks that's a nice little connection and relates him well to the guys.

I'm interested to hear what his plans are for the offense and defense. maybe he will address this Monday or someone can ask him to describe his plans/philosophy specifically. I assume it will look like a Huggs team. anybody talked with him in the past or seen him in practice to know what he may possibly like to run? or will he just continue Huggs' plan for the usual offense and defense?

With effective re-recruitment of Joe T and Kerr, he could ignite the fans and give himself more a shot at winning quickly by re-installing Press Virginia. Erik Martin said that's what he wanted to do before he left, I recall. If I'm Eilert, that's what I'd do too and make a splash around a sort of non-splashy promotion otherwise. I know many won't agree and Carter used up his eligibility and all that, we got it, but I'd go outside the box. We are so starved for winning and anything positive, if they could get this rolling even a little, I think the fans would pack the Coliseum and enjoy the ride again.

Use the system to cover some coaching inexperience. We have 7 guards on the roster now unless some are lost. Plus Edwards, Wague, and Okonkwo for rim protection. Scoring shouldn't be the chore for this group that it's been for many of Huggs' prior teams, and scoring allows them to then set the press. He can also add a player or two even still like the Rutgers kid and I'm sure others out there who'd love to join the BXII even if for one season.

Hard to say and all at this stage, I get it, just wondering thoughts on what we may come to get from Eilert from the basketball standpoint. Would you just run Huggs' old stuff and hope it works or would you put your stamp on the season in another way that could serve us better? cheers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News