ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM What returns for West Virginia football on offense in 2024?

Having the talent return is huge. The Jimmy’s and Joes that know the system and can execute it is a much better starting point than we have had in a very long time. That being said, I feel like our coaches grew up a lot during the last season. We finally went to a mobile QB paired with a good OL. Made it exponentially harder to stop us. Extended drives helped keep our D from wearing down. We finally used our TE as a receiver and trusted our young playmakers. And execution was cleaner with fewer penalties and wasted TOs. The offense should be well positioned to compete from G1.

Straw and Hayes both have eligibility. Hoping both return for STs.

Still a lot of work to do on D. Particularly on the back end. The offseason vibe just feels different. Like we can actually compete with all on our schedule. Maybe even win some on the road.

Reactions: Chefcal82 and mofo
Hows that defense going to be? How about the secondary with those DB's?

Reactions: JWG66
Still a lot of work to do on D. Particularly on the back end. The offseason vibe just feels different. Like we can actually compete with all on our schedule. Maybe even win some on the road.
3-3 on the road last year. 5-1 at home. 1-0 neutral site (bowl game).

3-3 on the road last year. 5-1 at home. 1-0 neutral site (bowl game).
Yep. It’s just my opinion, but I really didn’t think last years team (particularly our secondary) was good enough to win in Norman or Happy Valley. It’s the loss to Houston that to this day still sticks in my craw. To lose so quickly with so little time remaining was a gut punch. But we recovered and finished with some nice wins. Hopefully we learned for all future games to keep our fvking helmets on and use pressure against Hail Mary plays.

Hows that defense going to be? How about the secondary with those DB's?
Critical question. STBD. Don’t know how good Crandall & Miller are and we lack depth at all DB positions. Don’t know if we can add another CB or S before the season starts. Best hope as we now stand is to pressure their QB and have the offense extend drives. Won’t have to wait long to find out. Opponents are bound to attack us with passes. I do like our DL and the portal adds of Bradley, French and Carrico.

Reactions: WVUALLEN and mofo
Appreciate

Um
~~around 900 yards rushing from the QB position (If my math is correct) is dang impressive as we look into the crystal ball.

Over time (especially for WVU),
West Virginia has always had legit national impact with a Dual Threat,
(Milti- dimensional & Multiple) QBs.

Major, Studstill, Pat.

This never negates - running the ball from the RB position, (as always) this is a major contribution to offense success, as a whole.

Got to "run to pass",
got to "pass to run".

Nice OL.

Thanks for the Summary.

Reactions: JWG66 and WVUALLEN
OL is still a concern. Last year we supposedly had one of the best OL's in the country but couldn't punch it in from the 1 on 4th & Goal. Whole right side needs replaced. C is still a question. 5 years got us to an OK position And we have lost 2 of the best 3 this year.
It all starts up front. ImO we don't put enough emphasis on getting top recruits to fill the 2 deep. Most top 15 teams keep 18-20 schollie OL. We keep 15. We are constantly relying on true or RFR to start. Those guys should be 2 deep at most.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT