ADVERTISEMENT

RIVALS What Lincoln Riley had to say about Austin Kendall's transfer ...

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Riley did want to clarify how everything went down with Kendall, the Sooners and the Mountaineers because that was a rollercoaster of a story throughout the week.

After realizing he wanted an older presence in the room, Riley let Kendall know just in case he wanted to find another option.

“Honestly, I actually encouraged the family to enter the transfer portal, as difficult as that was,” Riley said. “When asked the question from his dad, ‘If he was your son, what would you do?’ That was my honest answer, at least give himself options and see how thing played out. Had great conversations with them the entire way through.”

Riley said the process with Kendall and the Kendall family was positive the whole way. He said he talked to Kendall multiple times a day and both sides were honest with each other.

Riley said the toughest part was about Kendall being immediately eligible within the same conference since obviously all Big 12 teams play each other.

The personal side of things had Riley saying Kendall deserves to go, but he had to factor in the professional side, too.

So after fighting back-and-forth, Riley made the move and opted to not restrict Kendall from going to West Virginia.

“In the end, the human element and my relationship with him and his family… Probably the thing that pushed me over the edge was the last conversation I had with him that morning, and I ended up releasing him that afternoon,” Riley said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News