ADVERTISEMENT

What IF WVU Players...

They can go fukk themselves, IMO.

They can do whatever they want, doesn't mean I think it's a smart idea or agree with them. I also hope they can explain "why they are protesting a flag" instead of being idiots and saying they just want to join "the cause". Better be able to explain "what cause" in a articulate manner or just accept the fact they are fools and didn't pay attention to a history or political class.

Last edited:
Don't go looking for trouble where there is none. BTW, aren't we in the locker room when the Pride plays the National Antheum?

It’s anthem. ...not looking for trouble though.

It was previously pointed out that football players are not on the field. A valid point too. Still, the heart of the discussion is what if ANY WVU athletes (maybe even a band member) start ‘protesting’ during games (and yes, I consider that anytime fans are a captive audience )?

Personally I would find it less offensive than when pros do it...since they’re ‘on the clock’. Do your thing on your time.

Last edited:
...start kneeling during the national anthem?

Thoughts?
What they do on their own time is, to me, their business unless it casts an undesirable image of the University, State or football program,. However, when they are wearing the uniform they acknowledge being part of the team that includes all the above and are, thus, not independent free agents. Therefore, their actions, statements, etc. are under the scrutiny of those to whom they report (in the same manner as employees are responsible to their superiors.) They are not free to do, say, perform acts that will or may cause any sort of loss to their 'employers'.
I am being very liberal with what I have stated. I worked where it was mandated that the character of the employee was the business of the employer even when NOT on 'duty'. Thus, actions that might gain the attention and negative fallout from the local TV, print, and any other media would be ground for immediate dismissal. This attitude was noted to all employees upon being hired and anytime a local issue was considered to have the potential of including employees. I feel this is going a little far but do appreciate the need for employers to protect themselves against undesirable publicity that causes harm to their reputation and acceptance by those they strive to serve. To me, sports falls within this scope and those wearing the uniform of and , thus, directly representing the particular organization are subject to the desires and requirements placed on them for their behavior.

They can do whatever they want, doesn't mean I think it's a smart idea or agree with them. I also hope they can explain "why they are protesting a flag" instead of being idiots and saying they just want to join "the cause". Better be able to explain "what cause" in a articulate manner or just accept the fact they are fools and didn't pay attention to a history or political class.

You put "why they are protesting a flag" in quotes so I don't know if you meant exactly that. Not trying to pick a fight but why do so many people keep falling for this obvious notion? For one thing, Kapernick never said he didn't love his country or that his protesting had anything to do with the flag.

But the thing is, when a person starts using major events such as, the Olympics, Academy Awards or some professional venue to protest then their cause is lost and the focus now goes on them. Hence, when's the last time the media was talking about unarmed blacks being shot in the back? It's not about that anymore.

The main thing though is, there's no law saying anyone has to stand for the National Anthem. For some reason the Anthem and the Flag is now being identified too much with military and heroism--as in strictly that. It seems like every 7th inning stretch is to honor a veteran, everything is about "military saluting" now.

I'm all for taking my hat off to them but it's getting to the point where I'm wondering if we're doing this just to make ourselves feel better about our country but deep down something is bothering us?

The Flag and the Anthem stand for everything about this country, it's not a military thing, even though the words were written during our fight for independence. It's like as soon as the masses see someone isn't genuflecting the way the mass consciousness sees it they're deemed as blasphemous.

I caught a village councilman ripping the players using the n-word right before a meeting and saying half of them are communists, etc. Then later, I said something about the 1st Amendment and he looked right at me with disgust.

Not picking on you, just mean this in a general way but there's way too much intolerance for other people's views in this country. It's like we're certainly free to do as we think and say..."until you disagree with me."

My thought exactly. The most divisive thing in this country is the media. No accountability. People need to be asking, why?

My thought exactly. The most divisive thing in this country is the media. No accountability. People need to be asking, why?
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. The most divisive thing in this country is a billionaire who tweets inflammatory shots as those who do not genuflect to him. He appealed to racism, biogtry, attacked a specific group just like Hitler did with the Jews, to get elected. The KKK and Nazis love him. He has put thousands of people out of work because he didn't pay their employers for the work they did for Trump's companies, by filing 6 bankruptcies. Hell, he stuck Puerto Rico with $30 million debt by letting his golf course there go belly-up. That $30 million would buy a lot of food and water and medical supplies for the millions of Americans trapped by two hurricanes. He accuses people up to their armpits in flood waters of being whiners for not bragging about what he did for Puerto Rico. You have to go back a long way to find a President with less morals than Donald Trump.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. The most divisive thing in this country is a billionaire who tweets inflammatory shots as those who do not genuflect to him. He appealed to racism, biogtry, attacked a specific group just like Hitler did with the Jews, to get elected. The KKK and Nazis love him. He has put thousands of people out of work because he didn't pay their employers for the work they did for Trump's companies, by filing 6 bankruptcies. Hell, he stuck Puerto Rico with $30 million debt by letting his golf course there go belly-up. That $30 million would buy a lot of food and water and medical supplies for the millions of Americans trapped by two hurricanes. He accuses people up to their armpits in flood waters of being whiners for not bragging about what he did for Puerto Rico. You have to go back a long way to find a President with less morals than Donald Trump.
please educate yourself. Name ONE example of racism by trump that is backed by fact. And thousands of people out of work? Have you checked the stock market? Record highs. Lastly, Trump has sent enormous aid to Texas and Puerto Rico. I recently experienced a mass flood this summer, and fema and the National Guard were here immediately. I’m guessing you watch CNN. Otherwise you would know this stuff.

If you consider 11 months "a long way." I agree.
You REALLY are joking, RIGHT? Over the years I have considered your views worth the time to read and ponder. Now you come forth with this? Come on man, you are considerably smarter and astute than this.

You REALLY are joking, RIGHT? Over the years I have considered your views worth the time to read and ponder. Now you come forth with this? Come on man, you are considerably smarter and astute than this.

"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor". The words of a "moral" man.

Reactions: Rootmaster

Trump did not own that golf course in PR. His name was merely licensed to the owners who bear the responsibility for those loses.

You put "why they are protesting a flag" in quotes so I don't know if you meant exactly that. Not trying to pick a fight but why do so many people keep falling for this obvious notion? For one thing, Kapernick never said he didn't love his country or that his protesting had anything to do with the flag.

But the thing is, when a person starts using major events such as, the Olympics, Academy Awards or some professional venue to protest then their cause is lost and the focus now goes on them. Hence, when's the last time the media was talking about unarmed blacks being shot in the back? It's not about that anymore.

The main thing though is, there's no law saying anyone has to stand for the National Anthem. For some reason the Anthem and the Flag is now being identified too much with military and heroism--as in strictly that. It seems like every 7th inning stretch is to honor a veteran, everything is about "military saluting" now.

I'm all for taking my hat off to them but it's getting to the point where I'm wondering if we're doing this just to make ourselves feel better about our country but deep down something is bothering us?

The Flag and the Anthem stand for everything about this country, it's not a military thing, even though the words were written during our fight for independence. It's like as soon as the masses see someone isn't genuflecting the way the mass consciousness sees it they're deemed as blasphemous.

I caught a village councilman ripping the players using the n-word right before a meeting and saying half of them are communists, etc. Then later, I said something about the 1st Amendment and he looked right at me with disgust.

Not picking on you, just mean this in a general way but there's way too much intolerance for other people's views in this country. It's like we're certainly free to do as we think and say..."until you disagree with me."

Well said. To bad our Prez doesn't understand this.

The most divisive thing in this country is a billionaire who tweets inflammatory shots as those who do not genuflect to him

You know until now I thought you were a loser posing as a retired sports writer and too ignorant not to use bold red letters to communicate in a forum. Now I see your true persona as as aging antifa supporter who wants to "fit in" and try to look "cool and hip." You aren't. sad

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL

Sorry but that is one of the most ridiculous and ignorant things I've ever read on these boards. You're just another shining example of someone who likes to shoot the messenger.

This is what you can do though, you can go around telling people to stop doing and saying stupid things and it won't end up in the paper.

And from that other post, you're the one that needs to educate yourself. You may not be able to pinpoint racism out of Trump but that's not really the issue. He likes making things about him. He's a button pusher and then sits back and watches people turn on each other over his behalf.

That's what this whole Anthem-flag-kneeling thing is about. He just injected himself because of his massive ego he can't control. It's all about him. He's not nuts, crazy or off his rocker. When people start talking like that they play right into his hands and he stays strong. He just likes being the center of attention.

And telling North Korea things like "they're days are numbered" is real intelligent. Nothing like flirting with triggering an irrational response from an unstable regime that might force the USA into a counter reaction. The problem is, just like that line in the movie "13 Days," their won't be anyone left to tell him he was wrong.

Now I see that just because I changed my password my nickname has been changed? Geezuz. This is Papillion.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Sorry but that is one of the most ridiculous and ignorant things I've ever read on these boards. You're just another shining example of someone who likes to shoot the messenger.

This is what you can do though, you can go around telling people to stop doing and saying stupid things and it won't end up in the paper.

And from that other post, you're the one that needs to educate yourself. You may not be able to pinpoint racism out of Trump but that's not really the issue. He likes making things about him. He's a button pusher and then sits back and watches people turn on each other over his behalf.

That's what this whole Anthem-flag-kneeling thing is about. He just injected himself because of his massive ego he can't control. It's all about him. He's not nuts, crazy or off his rocker. When people start talking like that they play right into his hands and he stays strong. He just likes being the center of attention.

And telling North Korea things like "they're days are numbered" is real intelligent. Nothing like flirting with triggering an irrational response from an unstable regime that might force the USA into a counter reaction. The problem is, just like that line in the movie "13 Days," their won't be anyone left to tell him he was wrong.

Now I see that just because I changed my password my nickname has been changed? Geezuz. This is Papillion.
Keep burying your head in the sand.

“And telling North Korea things like "they're days are numbered" is real intelligent. Nothing like flirting with triggering an irrational response from an unstable regime that might force the USA into a counter reaction. The problem is, just like that line in the movie "13 Days," their won't be anyone left to tell him he was wrong.”

But Obama calling Kim Jung Un erratic and irresponsible or that “we could obviously destroy them” is different? Of course it isn’t, but you’ll attempt to rationalize it.

I guess I've a simplistic view of the whole kneeling during the National anthem issue, concerning the NFL players. They are paid employees and political protest do not belong in the workplace.

That brings me to the OP's hypothetical question. What if WVU players kneeled in protest? I have the same view. They represent West Virginia and its Flag Ship university. So political issues and protest do not belong on the field. That being said if WVU students or student-athletes hold a rally in protest even if I disagree I would support their right to do so.

The saying/quote "a country divided cannot stand" has a lot of validity. I fear for this country's future if we cannot solve these social issues.

Normally I stay away from political threads because of the venomous rhetoric spewed from both political partiy supporters. It seems like the majority of people can't think for themselves so they tow whichever parties line like mindless drones.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I guess I've a simplistic view of the whole kneeling during the National anthem issue, concerning the NFL players. They are paid employees and political protest do not belong in the workplace.

That brings me to the OP's hypothetical question. What if WVU players kneeled in protest? I have the same view. They represent West Virginia and its Flag Ship university. So political issues and protest do not belong on the field. That being said if WVU students or student-athletes hold a rally in protest even if I disagree I would support their right to do so.

The saying/quote "a country divided cannot stand" has a lot of validity. I fear for this country's future if we cannot solve these social issues.

Normally I stay away from political threads because of the venomous rhetoric spewed from both political partiy supporters. It seems like the majority of people can't think for themselves so they tow whichever parties line like mindless drones.
My question is, what social issues? I don’t care if someone is black, Brown, white, etc; if you can’t succeed in this country it’s your fault. It’s not a race issue. Most aren’t. There is no oppression unless you are oppressing yourself. It’s pretty hard sympathizing with millionaires kneeling on a field because they think life is hard. Plus, this country elected a black man president, not once, but twice. Racism only exists to people who need an excuse for why they’ve failed in life.

My question is, what social issues? I don’t care if someone is black, Brown, white, etc; if you can’t succeed in this country it’s your fault. It’s not a race issue. Most aren’t. There is no oppression unless you are oppressing yourself. It’s pretty hard sympathizing with millionaires kneeling on a field because they think life is hard. Plus, this country elected a black man president, not once, but twice. Racism only exists to people who need an excuse for why they’ve failed in life.

I don't think the millionaires kneeling for the anthem are doing it because they think life is hard for themselves necessarily.

They are using their unique and very visible platform of being an NFL player to call attention to racial inequality in America - whether you believe it exists or not.

I don't think the millionaires kneeling for the anthem are doing it because they think life is hard for themselves necessarily.

They are using their unique and very visible platform of being an NFL player to call attention to racial inequality in America - whether you believe it exists or not.
Racial inequality? Maybe the divisive media needs to follow up on the big white lie of police brutality. They crucify the police for racism and killing blacks but fail to show the police are eventually cleared of all charges. Baltimore and Freddy gray as a prime example. Plus, it was a black judge who cleared the cops of wrongdoing. Secondly, those cops were white, Black, Latino, and contained one woman. CNN never told that.

Yes......racial inequality exists world wide...............whether you believe it exists or not. But, the millionaires that are using their unique and very visible platform are misguided as they kneel for the national anthem and could find themselves in the unemployment line along with the entire NFL. Warez

Well I have been a fan of WVU and the Steelers for about 45 years. Last week I got rid of all my Steeler gear and don't even know who one the game last week. Done with the NFL, IF WVU does it I will be done with football totally.

“And telling North Korea things like "they're days are numbered" is real intelligent. Nothing like flirting with triggering an irrational response from an unstable regime that might force the USA into a counter reaction. The problem is, just like that line in the movie "13 Days," their won't be anyone left to tell him he was wrong.”

But Obama calling Kim Jung Un erratic and irresponsible or that “we could obviously destroy them” is different? Of course it isn’t, but you’ll attempt to rationalize it.

Why would pull out an Obama quote just because I was criticizing Trump? You think because I did that that it makes me a democrat? And it's not the same thing. Un is erratic and irresponsible and is a criticism of his person. And I don't agree with the Obama quote either though it just doesn't sound as threatening. Trump made it sound like he was actually making plans to attack. And to a person like Un, you never know what that would trigger in him.

Sounds like we're nitpicking here and maybe it is but Trump is a con man. I don't understand how so many either don't see it, or they just don't care. Just today he said "a real storm like Katrina" to a bunch of devastated Puerto Ricans where over 90 percent have been without power, lost lives and wrecked the entire island and he's comparing storms.

He has the social skills of a spoiled rich kid who was given a million dollar head start and thinks he can do and say whatever he wants without any consequences. And that's exactly what he is. He certainly lied about his tax returns because he had no intention of releasing them.

Reactions: Phil
Well I have been a fan of WVU and the Steelers for about 45 years. Last week I got rid of all my Steeler gear and don't even know who one the game last week. Done with the NFL, IF WVU does it I will be done with football totally.

LoL.

Why would pull out an Obama quote just because I was criticizing Trump? You think because I did that that it makes me a democrat? And it's not the same thing. Un is erratic and irresponsible and is a criticism of his person. And I don't agree with the Obama quote either though it just doesn't sound as threatening. Trump made it sound like he was actually making plans to attack. And to a person like Un, you never know what that would trigger in him.

Sounds like we're nitpicking here and maybe it is but Trump is a con man. I don't understand how so many either don't see it, or they just don't care. Just today he said "a real storm like Katrina" to a bunch of devastated Puerto Ricans where over 90 percent have been without power, lost lives and wrecked the entire island and he's comparing storms.

He has the social skills of a spoiled rich kid who was given a million dollar head start and thinks he can do and say whatever he wants without any consequences. And that's exactly what he is. He certainly lied about his tax returns because he had no intention of releasing them.
con man? You may want to check around, he’s trying to accomplish his campaign promises. The only con men, are those resisting

Reactions: Rootmaster
Racial inequality? Maybe the divisive media needs to follow up on the big white lie of police brutality. They crucify the police for racism and killing blacks but fail to show the police are eventually cleared of all charges. Baltimore and Freddy gray as a prime example. Plus, it was a black judge who cleared the cops of wrongdoing. Secondly, those cops were white, Black, Latino, and contained one woman. CNN never told that.

So by your logic, because they are cleared of charges means they were justified in using deadly force?

Damn, you're a moron.

They gunned down a 12-year old kid without warning. They choked to death a guy for selling "loose" cigarettes. They shot a guy sitting in his car 4 times while his girlfriend filmed it and his 2-year-old child sat in the back seat. Yes, all of these cops were "cleared of all charges." OJ was too? Do you not think he killed Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT