ADVERTISEMENT

What does failure look like at WVU?

Losing to your arch rival.
then....
Losing at home to the worst team in your conference

I dont think there is anything realistic that he can do to salvage the season that would turn opinion around..
He shouldn’t coach another game, fire him & Lyons today. Bring back Rich Rod.

Failure at WVU looks like this
pitt-vs-wvu-1267-01SEP22-ww-810x480.jpg

PLITZUWEIT-JERSEY.jpg

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
What would it take to fire Lyons? I’m sure Brown is safe, but do any of us really want Lyons making any further decisions within the athletic department?

You claim to be a WVU fan with "self-respect" and wouldn't bring back Rich Rod, but you don't even know who Doc is? How old are you?
I know who Doc Holliday is and that he used to be an assistant at WVU and a HC at Marshall, but I didn't know him by his picture.

then....

I dont think there is anything realistic that he can do to salvage the season that would turn opinion around..
Kansas has historically been the worst team since we have been Big 12 members. That will change under Leipold they have the right guy for the job. Kansas was showing signs of getting better towards the end of Last season. They will finish middle of the pack in the Big 12 this year maybe better with a little luck. No excuse for Brown to lose to them but Leipold is an example of what happens when you get the right guy. Brown is the result of 3 straight hires where you failed to get the right guy.

Reactions: WVU_Dave
then....

I dont think there is anything realistic that he can do to salvage the season that would turn opinion around
Win 11 straight would be a good start. Other than that I don't care what he does.

Reactions: WVU_Dave
Kansas has historically been the worst team since we have been Big 12 members. That will change under Leipold they have the right guy for the job. Kansas was showing signs of getting better towards the end of Last season. They will finish middle of the pack in the Big 12 this year maybe better with a little luck. No excuse for Brown to lose to them but Leipold is an example of what happens when you get the right guy. Brown is the result of 3 straight hires where you failed to get the right guy.
Actually WVU had the right guy with the previous coach and then Lyons failed to extend him twice, costing recruits and wins--yet he still finished the last five years with 8 wins per year average--above 8 the last 4.

People like you are why WVU has Brown in the first place and is LOSING after a decade of winning with the previous coach that you hated because he didn't fit your "culture". A culture of losers.

Plus Pitt is good, they gave up three points in the second half this week playing with a 2nd string quarter back whose could not move due to a high ankle sprain, and if WVU had gotten a few more breaks they beat Pitt, and the loss to Kansas , though not expected was certainly influenced by a loss to a Pitt team that was clearly looking past them for their match-up vs UT.

Actually WVU had the right guy with the previous coach and then Lyons failed to extend him twice, costing recruits and wins--yet he still finished the last five years with 8 wins per year average--above 8 the last 4.

People like you are why WVU has Brown in the first place and is LOSING after a decade of winning with the previous coach that you hated because he didn't fit your "culture". A culture of losers.
No they didn't have the right guy. The only reason Holgorsen lasted as long as he did was because of one magical night in Miami with a team that he didn't recruit. Holgorsen failed time and time again not sure what the hell you were watching. Wvu should have moved on from Holgorsen years before they did. Only a fool like you can't see that. Wvu needs a Philosphy like RR not a clown like Holgorsen.

Last edited:
Plus Pitt is good, they gave up three points in the second half this week playing with a 2nd string quarter back whose could not move due to a high ankle sprain, and if WVU had gotten a few more breaks they beat Pitt, and the loss to Kansas , though not expected was certainly influenced by a loss to a Pitt team that was clearly looking past them for their match-up vs UT.
This is the funniest "I wear blinders" post in a long time. Lol

Reactions: ThePunish-EER

Yeah going for it every single 4th down was the right guy. Delusional

He couldn't recruit worth a
No they didn't have the right guy. The only reason Holgorsen lasted as long he did was because of one magical night in Miami with a team that he didn't recruit. Holgorsen failed time and time again not sure what the hell you were watching. Wvu should have moved on from Holgorsen years before they did. Only a fool like you can't see that. Wvu needs a Philosphy like RR not a clown like Holgorsen.
crap and blamed it on the program and state. Jerk really.

He couldn't recruit worth a

crap and blamed it on the program and state. Jerk really.
I love it when Bucky said we should have extended Holgorsen twice. The first time he is referring to is after the 2015 season. How many coach's get contract extensions for going 7-5 in year five? That's the type of record that gets most people fired. Then there was the extension that didn't happen in 2018. If Dana wanted an extension then he shouldn't have blown a 17 point lead to a 6-6 Oklahoma State team. The next week he followed that up by Losing to Oklahoma despite scoring 56 points. Then there was that god awful performance against Syracuse in the bowl game. Some these guys think the Orange Bowl was a regular occurrence under his reign. It was nothing more then a vary rare exception.

We went from 3 straight double win seasons to Gomer to a drunken whore mongering coke addict to the Bean.

Should write a book on how to descend from the top of college football in 3 short hires.

Stewart (AD - Ed Pastilong, President Mike Garrison)
Holgs (AD - Oliver Luck, President James T. Clements) )
Bean (AD - Shane Lyons, President E. Gordon Gee)

Triple threat failure. NEXT GROUP PLEASE!

• Haha
Reactions: HerdFanInClt
No they didn't have the right guy. The only reason Holgorsen lasted as long as he did was because of one magical night in Miami with a team that he didn't recruit. Holgorsen failed time and time again not sure what the hell you were watching. Wvu should have moved on from Holgorsen years before they did. Only a fool like you can't see that. Wvu needs a Philosphy like RR not a clown like Holgorsen.
When Holgorsen was extended it was years after he outdid the coach he replaced with a mix of players he brought in and that remained with him. But he coached and improved them the entire season.

WVU got more wins from Holgorsen than from any coach outside of Nehlen, but in a third of the time.

Only a fool would think what Holgorsen did transitioning a depleted roster from underrecruiter Stewart, taking WVU into the toughest schedules they’d ever faced in the BIG 12 and winning at a higher clip than WVU ever had,was a bad thing.

WVU should have quickly extended Holgorsen in 2016 and helped him gain a top notch D coordinator ( which Gibson is now turning into at NC State but wasn’t ready in his first gig at WVU- although he wasn’t worse than what Brown is doing on defense now giving KU 55 points). If that would have happened WVU would be in the upper echelon of the BIG 12 now instead of in the dregs.

I love it when Bucky said we should have extended Holgorsen twice. The first time he is referring to is after the 2015 season. How many coach's get contract extensions for going 7-5 in year five? That's the type of record that gets most people fired. Then there was the extension that didn't happen in 2018. If Dana wanted an extension then he shouldn't have blown a 17 point lead to a 6-6 Oklahoma State team. The next week he followed that up by Losing to Oklahoma despite scoring 56 points. Then there was that god awful performance against Syracuse in the bowl game. Some these guys think the Orange Bowl was a regular occurrence under his reign. It was nothing more then a vary rare exception.
Says the fool that was ok extending Brown after two five win and one six win season.

Kinda blows up your entire argument. And Holgorsen won 8 games the year he wasn’t extended and then 10 games the following year.

But honestly, selling that five win Brown is better than Holgorsen is just lunacy.

Last edited:
He won more games than everyone but Nehlen and against the toughest schedules, so it would be you who is delusional.

Guess you are in love with 5 win seasons.
Here’s the deal with Holgorsen. He’s a brilliant offensive mind. Elite level OC. No doubt about it. He is very undisciplined. For everytime he went for it on 4th down, sometimes (Ex: Texas win) it worked out. And the team won when the odds were against it. Most times, he cost us games that we should’ve won. With a disciplined HC that can manage the impulsive personality of Holgorsen, you can win a NC. He needs someone to reign him in and say, “Stop for a second. Let’s think this through. This is about field position. If it doesn’t work, they are on our own 20 and can score with the next possession. I can’t tell you how many times that cost games where we could’ve kicked a couple field goals and won in the end, or punted away instead of going for it on 4th down. Holgorsen will never win a NC for these reasons alone. Mark my words. I don’t care if a blueblood hires him. Lastly, if he’s soo great, why hasn’t a blood blood school hired him as HC?

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUALLEN
Don't worry. Bucky was hired to hold Dana's pecker while he takes a leak. He feels obligated to defend the man that he licks the pee off his balls.

Here’s the deal with Holgorsen. He’s a brilliant offensive mind. Elite level OC. No doubt about it. He is very undisciplined. For everytime he went for it on 4th down, sometimes (Ex: Texas win) it worked out. And the team won when the odds were against it. Most times, he cost us games that we should’ve won. With a disciplined HC that can manage the impulsive personality of Holgorsen, you can win a NC. He needs someone to reign him in and say, “Stop for a second. Let’s think this through. This is about field position. If it doesn’t work, they are on our own 20 and can score with the next possession. I can’t tell you how many times that cost games where we could’ve kicked a couple field goals and won in the end instead of going for it on 4th down in field goal range. Holgorsen will never win a NC for these reasons alone. Mark my words. I don’t care if a blueblood hires him. Lastly, if he’s soo great, why hasn’t a blood blood school hired him as HC?
He won more games than everyone outside of Nehlen. Had two ten win seasons, lead WVU to a conference championship and major bowl victory in historic fashion. Led WVU into a much more difficult schedule and won at the same % and then better % than WVU football had won historically.

The last five years WVU was winning 8 games a season then above that the last four, was mere points from a BIG 12 CCG and was ranked and ranked in the final Playoff poll— more than once during Holgorsens time. He needed a top notch D coordinator - which Gibson may have become but wasn’t there yet in his first job-and for the AD to stop sabotaging his recruiting by playing games on extensions. And WVU would now be winning instead of the yearly rebuilding from scratch of the disastrous Neal Brown era.

But some wanted a good old boy hire rather than a football coach.

One has to wonder if Lyons made the poor choice to extend Brown out of regret for playing games with Holgorsen’s contacts.

Last edited:
He won more games than everyone outside of Nehlen. Had two ten win seasons, lead WVU to a conference championship and major bowl victory in historic fashion. Led WVU into a much more difficult schedule and won at the same % and then better than WVU football had ever won with any coach.

The last five years WVU was winning 8 games a season then above that the last four, was mere points from a BIG 12 CCG and was ranked and ranked in the final Playoff poll— more than once during Holgorsens time. He needed a top notch D coordinator - which Gibson may have become but wasn’t there yet in his first job-and for the AD to stop sabotaging his recruiting with playing games on extensions. And WVU would now be winning instead of the yearly rebuilding from scratch of the disastrous Neal Brown era.

But some wanted a good old boy hire rather than a football coach.
Yet, for the reasons I explained, couldn’t get us over the top and win the Big 12 or win bowl games. And I don’t care about Neal Brown. I never said he was great. Argue that point with someone else.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
Like I said Bucky doesn't have a brain and he thinks Dana is the OZ.

Yet, for the reasons I explained, couldn’t get us over the top and win the Big 12 or win bowl games. And I don’t care about Neal Brown. I never said he was great. Argue that point with someone else.
Holgorsen was four pts from getting WVU into the BIg 12 CCG. Do you understand how difficult that is with schools like Oklahoma, Baylor, OSU, TCU, Texas etc competing with you for that spot? Bill Stewart couldn’t even win the Big East but Holgorsen did- it took numerous years for Holgorsen to refill the roster to play in the BIG 12 and just as he was getting there, Lyons began sabotaging his recruiting playing games with extensions. Holgorsen won as many bowl games as anyone at WVU— so no idea what you are babbling about there- WVU has never fared well in bowls cause players are injured, players leave early and the opponents are usually very good to excellent teams— but Holgorsen got WVU there and won as many as other coaches at WVU.

Right when Holgorsen had WVU able to make those coveted CCGs, another AD blunder pushed him out. If he were still at WVU then wins wouldn’t be a thing of the past.

Holgorsen was four pts from getting WVU into the BIg 12 CCG. Do you understand how difficult that is with schools like Oklahoma, Baylor, OSU, TCU, Texas etc competing with you for that spot? Bill Stewart couldn’t even win the Big East but Holgorsen did- it took numerous years for Holgorsen to refill the roster to play in the BIG 12 and just as he was getting there, Lyons began sabotaging his recruiting playing games with extensions. Holgorsen won as many bowl games as anyone at WVU— so no idea what you are babbling about there- WVU has never fared well in bowls cause players are injured, players leave early and the opponents are usually very good to excellent teams— but Holgorsen got WVU there and won as many as other coaches at WVU.

Right when Holgorsen had WVU able to make those coveted CCGs, another AD blunder pushed him out. If he were still at WVU then wins wouldn’t be a thing of the past.
Holgorsen bowl record at WVU was 2-5. And one of them was his first year with Stewart’s players (Geno, Tavon, Stedman,etc). And Pat White won 4 in a row between Rodriguez and Stewart. No idea what you are talking about lol. And I guess you think Baylor and TCU are historically better programs? They’ve each won the Big 12. TCU was outside the P5 until the Big 12 lol. And your statement WVU was 4 points away from the Big 12 CCG confirms what I said. Almost isn’t good enough.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT