ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia wins Tucson Regional, advances to first-ever Super Regional

Is this our first time in a super regional? Announcers made that statement.

Edit: For some reason I thought we made it in 2017 but that was just the Winston Salem regional.

Last edited:
Is this our first time in a super regional? Announcers made that statement.

Edit: For sone reason I thought we made it in 2017 but that was just the Winston Salem regional.
Yes as far as I know it's the first. But they were wrong on the first time for back to back tourneys.

I assume as a 3 seed we either have to travel to LSU or UNC depending on who wins the Chapel Hill regional. If so, I like Chapel Hill for location but have no idea which is the better match up to win the series.

I assume as a 3 seed we either have to travel to LSU or UNC depending on who wins the Chapel Hill regional. If so, I like Chapel Hill for location but have no idea which is the better match up to win the series.
RPI says UNC would be the far better opponent as UNC is ranked 4th and LSU 20th. Understandably RPI is a very flawed metric but it atleast gives a frame of reference. The idea of WVU being a 3 game series away from Omaha is wild, I remember when I was at WVU the baseball program resembled a high school program, with weather being a primary hurdle of why we were never competitive. Props to Coach Mazey for turning this program into a serious one.

I thought I read that unless it's a regional host proceeding that the Super would be at a neutral site. Did anyone else see that and know how they determine the site?

I thought I read that unless it's a regional host proceeding that the Super would be at a neutral site. Did anyone else see that and know how they determine the site?
If UNC loses, with Arizona being the other regional seed and eliminated, it would go to a bid between Morgantown and Baton Rouge. SEC will win the bid because LSU will have 10,000 fans each night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT