ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia struggles as they drop season opener to No. 8 Penn State

We have only beaten PSU three times since 1955 we have never competed against them. The era NB has to navigate is not the same that the previous coaches had to deal with. The gap between the have and have nots is only getting wider. The end of the RR era was the only time when Wvu consistently was thought of as a team that could compete with the halves, but the schedules were so much weaker than they were today.

In 2014 WVU opened against Alabama to a 33-23 loss in Atlanta. Alabama went on to a one loss regular season. They ended the year as the 1 seed in the playoff, but had a 7 point loss to eventual national champion Ohio State. Alabama was the top dawg at putting NFL talent in the league. WVU was coming off a 4-8 season in 2013.

WVU did that with Holgorsen. Yet with Brown we get boat raced at home, coming off the best season in Brown's tenure in 2023. And PSU is no 2014 Alabama.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
In 2014 WVU opened against Alabama to a 33-23 loss in Atlanta. Alabama went on to a one loss regular season. They ended the year as the 1 seed in the playoff, but had a 7 point loss to eventual national champion Ohio State. Alabama was the top dawg at putting NFL talent in the league. WVU was coming off a 4-8 season in 2013.

WVU did that with Holgorsen. Yet with Brown we get boat raced at home, coming off the best season in Brown's tenure in 2023. And PSU is no 2014 Alabama.
^^^THIS^^^

The point I’m trying to make. It may be subjective reasoning, but it’s clear to me we’ve regressed under Brown.

First game of the year with a roster that Brown said might be his best he's had at WVU SHOULD have been better than what we witnessed. The offensive approach was stale at best. The defense was slow and lethargic.

Plus, if Brown shared your sentiments, he would have taken the points when possible instead of going for it on 4th down. He would have played a shell defense to force Penn State to complete long drives to score instead of quick hitting plays for TD's.
So, WVU deserves to be mediocre? Because that's what we've always been? And we should just accept this?
The is no doubt that things could have been better yesterday. There is also no doubt that PSU has considerably more talent than Wvu has or has ever had. When you have only beaten a team three times since 1955 that says it all. No one said anything about accepting mediocrity but outside of the 2005-2007 era that has been what we have mostly been. I will judge this season based on how we perform against the middle and top of the big 12 and not by what we did against PSU. We have the players to compete against Big 12 teams we don't have the horses to compete against PSU.

We also finished the 2014 season 7-6 so the performance wasn't indicative of anything great. We don't know what PSU will end up being, but they are currently ranked 8th. I will judge this season based on how we perform against the middle and top tier of the Big 12. We have the players top compete against those teams we don't have the players to compete against the PSU's of the world. Wvu hasn't proven it can have success in the new era college football and NB is the only coach we have had in that era.

The is no doubt that things could have been better yesterday. There is also no doubt that PSU has considerably more talent than Wvu has or has ever had. When you have only beaten a team three times since 1955 that says it all. No one said anything about accepting mediocrity but outside of the 2005-2007 era that has been what we have mostly been. I will judge this season based on how we perform against the middle and top of the big 12 and not by what we did against PSU. We have the players to compete against Big 12 teams we don't have the horses to compete against PSU.
Ok, we agree on the talent of PSU. Then can you explain to me why Brown decided to be almost extra aggressive on defense against PSU skill guys, giving up quick scoring plays, while on offense he was very basic and vanilla? My point is to not say that WVU should have the talent of PSU, but we should have had a game plan against a superior opponent, like we used to do with other coaches when facing a huge obstacle.

Ok, we agree on the talent of PSU. Then can yo.offense he was very basic and vanilla? My point is to not say that WVU should have the talent of PSU, but we should have had a game plan against a superior opponent, like we used to do with other coaches when facing a huge obstacle.
The only way we were going to beat PSU was if they coughed up the ball 4-5 times and we capitalized on it. I don't disagree that Brown needs to do a better job with his game plans at times but there is no game plan he could have come up with that would have been able to overcome the disparity in talent. I think we should have tried to run Greene more but according to the scouting reports on PSU this is the deepest they have been in the defensive backfield in the James Franklin era. Outside of the 2005-2007 era when have we ever beaten the Big Boys when they were at their best? People need to take a step back and let the season play out. Let's see how we perform against the middle and top of the Big 12 before we say the sky is falling. I don't expect we will win all those games, but I do think we will hold our own.

The only way we were going to beat PSU was if they coughed up the ball 4-5 times and we capitalized on it. I don't disagree that Brown needs to do a better job with his game plans at times but there is no game plan he could have come up with that would have been able to overcome the disparity in talent. I think we should have tried to run Greene more but according to the scouting reports on PSU this is the deepest they have been in the defensive backfield in the James Franklin era. Outside of the 2005-2007 era when have we ever beaten the Big Boys when they were at their best? People need to take a step back and let the season play out. Let's see how we perform against the middle and top of the Big 12 before we say the sky is falling. I don't expect we will win all those games, but I do think we will hold our own.
Do you think that there are many coaches out there with the experience that Brown has that would have made the fatal mistake with 30 seconds remaining in the first half, still in striking distance, coming off points, that would have made the decision to allow his defense to not play deep safeties and soft corners? That's my problem with him. Brown seems like a great guy, but he also seems like he is an emotional decision maker and not a tactical thinker.

EDIT: Again, I didn't say we should have won the game. In fact, last year I came away from the PSU game feeling encouraged with how we played and felt like we had improved. After yesterday, I do not feel that way.

If we feel 10-3 Penn State in 2023 and now 2024 Penn State was too much, maybe we need to not schedule these games anymore.

Do you think that there are many coaches out there with the experience that Brown has that would have made the fatal mistake with 30 seconds remaining in the first half, still in striking distance, coming off points, that would have made the decision to allow his defense to not play deep safeties and soft corners? That's my problem with him. Brown seems like a great guy, but he also seems like he is an emotional decision maker and not a tactical thinker.

EDIT: Again, I didn't say we should have won the game. In fact, last year I came away from the PSU game feeling encouraged with how we played and felt like we had improved. After yesterday, I do not feel that way.
That whole sequence killed me. We looked like we were going to undeservedly end the half within striking distance, maybe we catch a break again and level the score coming out of the tunnel and then that happened, game over. Idk wtf he was thinking, and he called a time out to setup the defense that allowed the TD as the topper. Should have called it when they started hurrying up to the line when it looked like they were trying and of course succeeded in catching our guys napping.

If we feel 10-3 Penn State in 2023 and now 2024 Penn State was too much, maybe we need to not schedule these games anymore.
With 12 teams in the CFP we might as well keep scheduling these games to sellout the stadium. When the day comes we have a nationally relevant team again, they’ll have plenty of chances to make up for it if we drop an opener to PSU or any other top 10 type of team.

With 12 teams in the CFP we might as well keep scheduling these games to sellout the stadium. When the day comes we have a nationally relevant team again, they’ll have plenty of chances to make up for it if we drop an opener to PSU or any other top 10 type of team.
But in the year 2125, they probably will have 64 teams in the playoff......... :joy:

The WVU fans showed up. Former WVU players showed up. The media showed up and was on board. WVU had homefield advantage. Morgantown was electric. The hype was fantastic. WVU has a roster full of talent and experience --best Brown has had. PSU even spotted us an entire quarter of sloppy play. Despite all of those things, WVU wasnt even competitive in the game. Brown didnt even have his team prepared enough to be in the game at all. Bad calls, bad clock management, a team with no swagger or confidence. Sniffers can make as many excuses as they want but at the ened of the day there arent any. Until there is a new coaching staff, WVU will continue to underachieve. I get that PSU is a more talented team with better coaching, but at least compete with them in the game. Dont get your asses handed to you on your home field. However, sadly, that is too much to ask under the Clown. Always will be....

We also finished the 2014 season 7-6 so the performance wasn't indicative of anything great. We don't know what PSU will end up being, but they are currently ranked 8th. I will judge this season based on how we perform against the middle and top tier of the Big 12. We have the players top compete against those teams we don't have the players to compete against the PSU's of the world. Wvu hasn't proven it can have success in the new era college football and NB is the only coach we have had in that era.

We lost to the team that finished 4th 33-23, beat the team that finished 7th 41-27, lost to the team that finished 3rd 31-30, lost to the team that finished 18th 26-20. Lost to unranked OU at home 45-33 and to unranked Texas on the road 33-16. That was a tough ass schedule and that team, despite Holgorsen's flaws, was better than any team under Brown and better than the 10 win team of Holgorsen's a few years later.

We didn't compete with Houston to retain Holgorsen because he was always falling just short of getting WVU a shot at the conference title. Brown hasn't gotten close to a conference title and shown no evidence that we are close to turning a corner into becoming one.

Last edited:
BINGO.....this new mentality from some of our fans that "this team is way out of our league" when we play them is something that troubles me.
Who is saying that? Personally, I am saying they were better and played better. That happens often in all games. That is why there is a Las Vegas and a betting line. Doesn't mean we couldn't have played better or couldn't win. We just didn't as those that are objective mostly predicted.

We will win a game or two that will surprise others if we stay mostly healthy this year. I'm simply not troubled by the loss. Disappointed as I always want to win but that loss doesn't mean we will have a bad season. Let's see what comes over the next 11 games.

The WVU fans showed up. Former WVU players showed up. The media showed up and was on board. WVU had homefield advantage. Morgantown was electric. The hype was fantastic. WVU has a roster full of talent and experience --best Brown has had. PSU even spotted us an entire quarter of sloppy play. Despite all of those things, WVU wasnt even competitive in the game. Brown didnt even have his team prepared enough to be in the game at all. Bad calls, bad clock management, a team with no swagger or confidence. Sniffers can make as many excuses as they want but at the ened of the day there arent any. Until there is a new coaching staff, WVU will continue to underachieve. I get that PSU is a more talented team with better coaching, but at least compete with them in the game. Dont get your asses handed to you on your home field. However, sadly, that is too much to ask under the Clown. Always will be....

We lost to the team that finished 4th 33-23, beat the team that finished 7th 41-27, lost to the team that finished 3rd 31-30, lost to the team that finished 18th 26-20. Lost to unranked OU at home 45-33 and to unranked Texas on the road 33-16. That was a tough ass schedule and that team, despite Holgorsen's flaws, was better than any team under Brown and better than the 10 win team of Holgorsen's a few years later.

We didn't compete with Houston to retain Holgorsen because he was always falling just short of getting WVU a shot at the conference title. Brown hasn't gotten close to a conference title and shown no evidence that we are close to turning a corner into becoming one.
Here’s a valid question, how would Neal Brown and WVU do in the old Big East? I don’t think he does as well as Nehlen or Rodriguez. We keep hearing how great and amazing Penn State is after they wiped the field with us 2 years in a row. Last year they were 10-3. Not 13-0. How would Brown have done against 2003 Miami? If not for a miracle catch of Winslow on 4th and 22 with a minute left in the 4Q, WVU beats them. That’s the difference. It was competitive. Not a blowout. Who was better? 2023 Penn State or 2003 Miami? Easily Miami. Could Brown have managed to beat those VT teams? Doubtful, they were top 10. It’s easy to play “what if”, but the eyeball test tells me those Nehlen and Rod WVU teams would also wipe the field with any Brown WVU team.

Here’s a valid question, how would Neal Brown and WVU do in the old Big East? I don’t think he does as well as Nehlen or Rodriguez. We keep hearing how great and amazing Penn State is after they wiped the field with us 2 years in a row. Last year they were 10-3. Not 13-0. How would Brown have done against 2003 Miami? If not for a miracle catch of Winslow on 4th and 22 with a minute left in the 4Q, WVU beats them. That’s the difference. It was competitive. Not a blowout. Who was better? 2023 Penn State or 2003 Miami? Easily Miami. Could Brown have managed to beat those VT teams? Doubtful, they were top 10. It’s easy to play “what if”, but the eyeball test tells me those Nehlen and Rod WVU teams would also wipe the field with any Brown WVU team.

From 1980 to 2007, WVU ranged from rebuilding to contender, but mostly middling. But even the Miami teams of the 90's, which were up there with top dawgs, would talk about how they would be sore after playing WVU. Sometimes WVU got whooped. Sometimes WVU won. Sometimes WVU would keep it close for 2-3 quarters before the talent gap allowed Miami to run away. Either way, at least 1 in ever 5 years WVU would have a team that could compete with most of the teams on the schedule even if they couldn't overcome the talent gap. So far Brown has had zero in his 5 and is starting out his 6th on the wrong foot.

I think falling this flat on this big of a stage should have evaporated all good will Brown had from last year where he lucked his way to 9 wins. Next week is meaningless. But he better figure this out because another season of all wins being against 6-7 win teams while getting handily beaten by all 8+ win teams should have him on the way out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT