ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia RB Brown opts out of Guaranteed Rate Bowl

How long before rootie shows up complaining and moaning and saying Brown isn't a true Mountaineer?

Now everyone who hates Will Grier because of this hates Leddie now too right?

To play or not to play is always a question that will continue to pop up during bowl season.

Some look at it as a means to make a meaningful impression to the NFL scouts, while some opt out to 'protect' themselves from potential injury, while focusing on preparing for the draft. Personally, I would probably opt to play, but not sure I would feel the same, if by chance, I knew I risked millions of potential dollars.

This cactus bowl at 10:15 on a weekday night likely isn't going to move the needle one way or another, so Brown not playing is a good opportunity for some of the younger backs to step up with hopes of making an impression and getting an early jump on being the man next year.

When you look at NY6 bowl games, anything other than the CFP bowls, when guys opt out, that really hurts the bowls. Pickett is not playing for Pitt, and Walker is not playing for MSU. That's two players people want to see perform. Michigan has had multiple players sit out in the past few years, and it totally wrecks the team's ability to compete.

To play or not to play is always a question that will continue to pop up during bowl season.

Some look at it as a means to make a meaningful impression to the NFL scouts, while some opt out to 'protect' themselves from potential injury, while focusing on preparing for the draft. Personally, I would probably opt to play, but not sure I would feel the same, if by chance, I knew I risked millions of potential dollars.

This cactus bowl at 10:15 on a weekday night likely isn't going to move the needle one way or another, so Brown not playing is a good opportunity for some of the younger backs to step up with hopes of making an impression and getting an early jump on being the man next year.

When you look at NY6 bowl games, anything other than the CFP bowls, when guys opt out, that really hurts the bowls. Pickett is not playing for Pitt, and Walker is not playing for MSU. That's two players people want to see perform. Michigan has had multiple players sit out in the past few years, and it totally wrecks the team's ability to compete.
Too many bowl games. I think I saw 84 teams got a bowl invite. That's crazy. Bowl games was once a REWARD for having a good season. Now, it's just like what we do with youth leagues and kids.....everyone gets a trophy! Most of these teams end up making little, or no, profit off the bowls. It just allows for valuable practice time for the younger players, and as we are seeing, the seniors and draft potential players are tuned out and are preparing for their next chapter in life (I don't blame them, but it is disappointing).

Too many bowl games. I think I saw 84 teams got a bowl invite. That's crazy. Bowl games was once a REWARD for having a good season. Now, it's just like what we do with youth leagues and kids.....everyone gets a trophy! Most of these teams end up making little, or no, profit off the bowls. It just allows for valuable practice time for the younger players, and as we are seeing, the seniors and draft potential players are tuned out and are preparing for their next chapter in life (I don't blame them, but it is disappointing).
I can remember in the 70s/early 80s, when WVU made any particular bowl game, it was a BFD.

Now with the 42 bowls, you're right. It's watered down so deep, making it to a bowl just doesn't feel like anything special at all. Yes, teams get the additional practices in, but I feel it's more about ESPN and high dollar advertisers using college football teams as a means of padding their pockets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT