ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia head coach Neal Brown press conference summary

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--West Virginia head coach Neal Brown says that this one hurts more than last week. They were up 24-20 and they run into their own punt returner with 14 minutes to go and he can't explain it. They work that twice a week that exact same situation and it's a hard one for him to explain. They score and it's 27-27 and they get the ball around the 30 and 3rd and 4 and they guy was clearly held at the point of attack. They miss the tackle and they go into score. West Virginia gets the ball at midfield and they went for it and the read told Garrett Greene to give it. Ollie Gordon had 150 yards in the fourth quarter and Brown doesn't know if they tackled him. Brown thought they'd score there and kick it again and see what they had. It was disappointing to say the least because they had a chance to take a seven or 11 point lead and mistakes that he has a hard time explaining.

--Without watching it, West Virginia didn't fit the runs they were running split zone. It's something that West Virginia sees every day and they just missed a bunch of tackles and ran right by the ball.

--Brown was going to kick it deep until the late hit on the kicker so they decided to onside it late.

--Tried to put their best people at the point of attack and keep them off balance with the unbalanced sets. They wanted to get them uncomfortable and were matching it with their four down sets. The Mountaineers started really poor on offense but felt overall they did some good things.

--Gordon is a good back and they were mixing it up with counter, inside zone and without watching it it felt like they ran by the ball a bunch and missed tackles.

--It's a hell of a lot harder to run the ball 29 times than stand back and tackle them. They didn't have a bunch of depth at linebacker and they had some young guys at the point of attack.

--The way you teach the jammer position is you teach them to peek. You peek the returner and they do that constantly in practice.

--Greene just wanted to make a play on fourth down. They ran it well throughout the game and had some explosive plays but struggled in that instance.

--Brown said you've got to play better. Nobody feels sorry for them, they didn't play well enough to win last week and made some untimely mistakes. They go down to UCF next week and they played Oklahoma hard today. BYU won't care. You need to prepare and go play. Brown believes his team responded and they were up 24-20 and couldn't finish. Brown isn't going to take an easy out. The teams they're playing are playing the same schedule as they are and every game is an emotion but you have to respond. West Virginia had a chance to win. Why are they missing tackles and not getting separation at wide out?

--Hudson Clement has a lower leg injury and getting x-rays. Tomas Rimac needed a day and warmed up.

--The response coming back after the bad start was good. They were down 10-0 early but they showed some real determination to get back into it and take the lead.

--West Virginia head coach Neal Brown says that this one hurts more than last week. They were up 24-20 and they run into their own punt returner with 14 minutes to go and he can't explain it. They work that twice a week that exact same situation and it's a hard one for him to explain. They score and it's 27-27 and they get the ball around the 30 and 3rd and 4 and they guy was clearly held at the point of attack. They miss the tackle and they go into score. West Virginia gets the ball at midfield and they went for it and the read told Garrett Greene to give it. Ollie Gordon had 150 yards in the fourth quarter and Brown doesn't know if they tackled him. Brown thought they'd score there and kick it again and see what they had. It was disappointing to say the least because they had a chance to take a seven or 11 point lead and mistakes that he has a hard time explaining.

--Without watching it, West Virginia didn't fit the runs they were running split zone. It's something that West Virginia sees every day and they just missed a bunch of tackles and ran right by the ball.

--Brown was going to kick it deep until the late hit on the kicker so they decided to onside it late.

--Tried to put their best people at the point of attack and keep them off balance with the unbalanced sets. They wanted to get them uncomfortable and were matching it with their four down sets. The Mountaineers started really poor on offense but felt overall they did some good things.

--Gordon is a good back and they were mixing it up with counter, inside zone and without watching it it felt like they ran by the ball a bunch and missed tackles.

--It's a hell of a lot harder to run the ball 29 times than stand back and tackle them. They didn't have a bunch of depth at linebacker and they had some young guys at the point of attack.

--The way you teach the jammer position is you teach them to peek. You peek the returner and they do that constantly in practice.

--Greene just wanted to make a play on fourth down. They ran it well throughout the game and had some explosive plays but struggled in that instance.

--Brown said you've got to play better. Nobody feels sorry for them, they didn't play well enough to win last week and made some untimely mistakes. They go down to UCF next week and they played Oklahoma hard today. BYU won't care. You need to prepare and go play. Brown believes his team responded and they were up 24-20 and couldn't finish. Brown isn't going to take an easy out. The teams they're playing are playing the same schedule as they are and every game is an emotion but you have to respond. West Virginia had a chance to win. Why are they missing tackles and not getting separation at wide out?

--Hudson Clement has a lower leg injury and getting x-rays. Tomas Rimac needed a day and warmed up.

--The response coming back after the bad start was good. They were down 10-0 early but they showed some real determination to get back into it and take the lead.
Shut. The. Fvck. Up. And. Resign.

Hey guys, the good news is Brown does have some nice incentives for wins:

Brown is also eligible for performances bonuses, including regular-season wins:

• 8 wins: $100,000
  • 9 wins: $125,000
  • 10 wins: $150,000
  • 11 wins: $175,000
  • 12 wins: $200,000

LOL

• Haha
Reactions: deedoubleyou
The only press conference I want to hear now is the one announcing his resignation. This shit show has to end. Neal should grow a pair and step down. He should settle his buyout for much less and gtfo. We suck because of him, period.
Amen

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I get sick of his "we practice <insert scenario that was a complete cluster fvck in the game here> so many times in practice" Well obviously the way you are practicing it doesn't work if it shows up big or multiple times. Student athletes fail tests when they get the wrong answers no matter how many times they "studied" the material. You get no credit for practice that does not materialize into positive on field results.

I get sick of his "we practice <insert scenario that was a complete cluster fvck in the game here> so many times in practice" Well obviously the way you are practicing it doesn't work if it shows up big or multiple times. Student athletes fail tests when they get the wrong answers no matter how many times they "studied" the material. You get no credit for practice that does not materialize into positive on field results.

I'm gonna just go out on a limb here. It doesn't matter how much they practice or how good his scheme is, or even how much talent we have. Neal brown just doesn't have a leader persona at all. He's a nice guy in a job that requires an alpha. His teams are a reflection of that. I've listened to almost 5 years of his press conferences and this dude is the biggest weenie we've ever had in the program. He isn't even man enough to take full accountability and put it on his shoulders. He has made more excuses than I've ever heard. He doesn't even care how many games he wins becsuse he thinks he's still coaching just to teach good sportsmanship and boy scout hood. Well this isn't high school and its not going to ever work on this level of football. He lacks almost everything you want in a coach on this level. This isn't frostburg state, this is B12 football. It's a big deal. You better bring your A game but he only ever brings his C game because it's all he has. And the sad part is he doesn't care and he will blame wvu fans for losing patience before he takes real credit. I've never in my life watched a man blame more people than he has for his own failures. It's worth 30 mil to get this clown out of morgantown and away from this team. Pay the wimp and send him packing

That is just coaches way of saying "I did my job, my players suck".

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT