ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia head coach Neal Brown press conference summary

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--West Virginia head coach Neal Brown said that they held a student appreciation day today and there are a lot of undergrads that are here and help this thing run.

--In the stadium today, they want between 40-50 snaps with the ones and twos and 20 with the threes. They did some special teams competition. They split them up into four special teams groups during the spring and they do competitions. They did that today in the stadium and had a full Big 12 official crew here. Oliver Straw is continuing to build off a strong freshman season. Austin Brinkman, has a chance to be as good as anybody in the country at long snapping. Michael Hayes and Danny King are battling for kicker.

--Mike Lockhart and Hammond Russell they need those guys and they are as integral as anybody when it comes to needing to make a jump and they have. Both have gotten better and did some nice things. Jared Bartlett had some sacks on third downs and James Heard is a natural pass rusher and will be a factor. Lee Kpogba from where he was last spring to now he's made the most improvement and has a chance to be an all-league type player. Tray Lathan played well today and Jairo Faverus has grown into one of those core special teams players. Marcis Floyd had some nice open field tackles and Andrew Wilson-Lamp had some nice plays on the ball. Keyshawn Cobb played as many snaps as they could get him and he's pushing for a starting job. Lance Dixon has quietly had a good spring playing in space.

--Offensively Garrett Greene alternated with Nicco Marchiol. Greene had three explosive runs, one 60+ yards and threw the deep ball very well today. Made a couple mistakes on third down and has to have some situational awareness. But some explosive plays and scrambled around on some broken plays. Nicco Marchiol had two nice drives where he converted multiple third downs. He is young but today he made good decisions and didn't take sacks. Did a nice job showing some maturation. At wide receiver Ja'Shaun Poke has had a nice week. He has a chance to be a factor in the return game and be explosive. Devin Carter has been really consistent, while at tight end Kole Taylor and Will Dixon had some nice catches. CJ Donaldson went full today and Tony Mathis might have had his best day of the spring while Jaylen Anderson and Justin Johnson have done well. Tuesday and Thursday they will go hard and then have fun Saturday.

--Brown is trying to keep expectations within reason with Jimmy Bell. Brown has had former basketball players. There is some cross over with keeping a smaller guy in front of you like in pass protection. But the biggest difference is you can use your hands in this game. He has to get used to punching and ball get off. He is extremely coach-able and works hard. He's had an open mind with this. He's played football so it's not like they're rolling him out for the first time. Played as a junior in high school and got recruited some. Went two weeks and just did fundamentals and cardio things. Tuesday and Thursday and Saturday he will practice and then get some time to regroup and see if it's something he wants to keep going and they do as well. Brown said he went 25 plays during 11-on-11 and pass protection and inside drill and he's seen considerable growth.

--Kpogba is a box linebacker that isn't running himself out of plays and reading his keys better and playing with more confidence. Behind him Tray Lathan, Caden Biser can play there. Ben Cutter can play there too and they're trying to cross train all of those guys.

--The easy thing is CJ Donaldson has ball skills and played receiver, while Jaylen Anderson has played a lot of empty. Justin Johnson and Tony Mathis weren't asked to do that in high school but they've been in the program long enough now that they're comfortable doing it.

--Lockhart and Russell they both have ability and have worked hard on conditioning.

--Brown feels better about the offensive line throughout spring practice. Sully Weidman had a good day and feel good about him going in. Dillon Ray has had a nice spring and Nick Malone has been a factor. He feels better about the depth and linebacker is another where Brown feels more comfortable than he did coming into the start of spring drills. As for the remaining needs it's still the same spots that he's said, one more wide out, at least a defensive lineman and cornerback.

--Brown said they better be better on defense. It's hard to look at it from the whole perspective until the end. They are faster on defense and are better. They tackled in the stadium and improved over where they tackled live.

--Montre Miller has had some ups and downs. He can run and the more comfortable he gets in the system he will be a solid Big 12 player. Works hard. Lamp and Spells are both growing and those are the two guys they need to make a move and there are some ups and downs. Malachi Ruffin played good football down the stretch for them. And they've added a player and may add another one.

--Jared Bartlett is playing the run better and has less wasted movement. He's put on some good weight. He is using his hands betters and is more patient. He is pleased with where he's at.

--Brown isn't sure about the format for the spring game. Brown said if he was coming to watch a spring game what would he want to see. Some type of competition and some things that are interactive and some real football. They won't play four quarters of real football. It's a good chance to come and get good seats and interact with the players. Brown wants it to be fun.

--Cortez Braham made two nice plays today and was the leading receiver in the scrimmage. Trying to put receivers in pressure situations this spring.

Reactions: Tim_In_Hurricane
well, he won't just leave..Brown isn't an idiot.... he does have an advanced business degree..if he leaves he'll be forced and take millions with him..

• Angry
Reactions: goldenEERS
Neal Brown is the best hire in the history of WVU sports. He really gets it, and he does no wrong ever. It's always the players, especially Greene, who mess things up. Its comforting to know that....

• Haha
Reactions: Rootmaster
To be 100% honest, I have an inside source within the WVU football program who says its worse than people think. Neal Brown doesn't know how to coach at all. He plays Madden with this team and it may have worked at Troy because he at least had a real coach on his staff, Vic, but the coaching software program that he uses to make all his decisions has failed WVU big time. Yes he uses sofware to coach. That is 100% true. And not just for in game stats type stuff. This is extensive software that is similar to something like Madden.

Neal Brown is worse than most people think. He doesnt coach, seriously he uses software to run WVU football. He has no idea how to really coach. This guy is a total fraud and is basically scamming WVU out of a bunch of money. I believe fans should boycott Neal Brown and WVU football at this point. This is a total embarrassment...

To be 100% honest, I have an inside source within the WVU football program who says its worse than people think. Neal Brown doesn't know how to coach at all. He plays Madden with this team and it may have worked at Troy because he at least had a real coach on his staff, Vic, but the coaching software program that he uses to make all his decisions has failed WVU big time. Yes he uses sofware to coach. That is 100% true. And not just for in game stats type stuff. This is extensive software that is similar to something like Madden.

Neal Brown is worse than most people think. He doesnt coach, seriously he uses software to run WVU football. He has no idea how to really coach. This guy is a total fraud and is basically scamming WVU out of a bunch of money. I believe fans should boycott Neal Brown and WVU football at this point. This is a total embarrassment...

That is simply incorrect & simply not true. If your looking to destroy NB & West Virginia University -
here's your chance.

Your comments are defamitory.

Let's see how West Virginia plays initially in 2023 - especially in September 23.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUALLEN

not true

Reactions: mofo
That is simply incorrect & simply not true. If your looking to destroy NB & West Virginia University -
here's your chance.

Your comments are defamitory.

Let's see how West Virginia plays initially in 2023 - especially in September 23.
Can you prove this? Lets see it. It better be real, because I do in fact know someone who is around Brown a lot. I'm not just making it up. I've heard he relies on software way more than people know. He is not a good game-planner or schemer in a real sense, from the way I understand it. And I've heard he isnt the only coach to be using such a crappy setup either, but perhaps he relies on it more than he should....

Last edited:

Your inside source is a voice in your head. They don't exist.

Can you prove this? Lets see it. It better be real, because I do in fact know someone who is around Brown a lot. I'm not just making it up. I've heard he relies on software way more than people know. He is not a good game-planner or schemer in a real sense, from the way I understand it. And I've heard he isnt the only coach to be using such a crappy setup either, but perhaps he relies on it more than he should....
Shouldn't you be the one proving this?

Shouldn't you be the one proving this?
Nope. I am just taking all info from all sides and leaning towards someone I know telling me what they see behind closed doors, rather than message board opinions. I dont care if anyone else believes it.

Nope. I am just taking all info from all sides and leaning towards someone I know telling me what they see behind closed doors, rather than message board opinions. I dont care if anyone else believes it.
If you don't care then don't respond.

You didn't say it was an opinion. You claimed inside source told you. Prove it.

Why do others opinions bother you?
Well, I believe him based on what I see, but he is just human and could be wrong or partially wrong. There is no denying that, so it comes down to basically opinion. What I dont see is any evidence that it is not true, as it would explain a lot of the real head scratching in-game calls and lack of coherent game plan.

Well, I believe him based on what I see, but he is just human and could be wrong or partially wrong. There is no denying that, so it comes down to basically opinion. What I dont see is any evidence that it is not true, as it would explain a lot of the real head scratching in-game calls and lack of coherent game plan.
The head scratching is why waist 2 years on a family favorite QB then get a washed up transfer from Georgia and his former OC who couldn't make a play if given to him.

Coaching decision making and player effort are what has caused this downward trend. This doesn't make Brown a bad coach. It makes his abilities as a P5 coach unrealistic.

Perhaps go back to G5 or FCS level would be a good move for him. It worked for Cignetti.

The head scratching is why waist 2 years on a family favorite QB then get a washed up transfer from Georgia and his former OC who couldn't make a play if given to him.

Coaching decision making and player effort are what has caused this downward trend. This doesn't make Brown a bad coach. It makes his abilities as a P5 coach unrealistic.

Perhaps go back to G5 or FCS level would be a good move for him. It worked for Cignetti.
This is a logical statement. I believe it can be true but at the same as him using a program to help him design game plans and make in game decisions. Neal brown himself has admitted as much --thst he does use an app to help determine the statistically best thing to do in game in certain situations. But I was recently told that he uses it more than people realize. And from what I see in his weird game plans, I can totally believe all of this. And I can believe your statement too, at the same time

This is a logical statement. I believe it can be true but at the same as him using a program to help him design game plans and make in game decisions. Neal brown himself has admitted as much --thst he does use an app to help determine the statistically best thing to do in game in certain situations. But I was recently told that he uses it more than people realize. And from what I see in his weird game plans, I can totally believe all of this. And I can believe your statement too, at the same time
as an "insider" you should know this...why doesn't WVU have the players run the 40 yd dash?

?How'd you "Yo Yo's",
get from a very detailed
Press Conference Description Above -
to a some strange Secret WVU Conspiracy Culture?

None of you all - Even
mentioned GG had a 60 TD Yard run (plus many other Runs
plus Multiple Pass Completions), for starters.

MAYBE Just maybe
you all should read the above summary to realize this is a West virginia msg board.

Can't Hang NB, today.

That was an excellent
Encouraging West Virginia Football
Positive Summary.

Waste not waist lol. That was a fat mistake.

Reactions: WVUALLEN and JWG66
Waste not waist lol. That was a fat mistake.
This is the same fan base that ran
off Bobby Bowden &
Drooled over Terry Bowden.

Can't Hang NB, today.

Don't think Doege is on the Roster.

Last edited:

Definitely also some scratching over why he makes some of the dumbest in-game decisions WVU fans have ever seen. I know a good bit of fans who were scratching their heads over why it seemed to bother Neal Brown that there was so much national attention and hype over the long awaited game with our biggest and longest rival, sPitt. Neal Brown didn't embrace and enjoy the national attention and hype, he questioned it because it bothered him. A head-scratcher there too.

Maybe he will turn it around under a new AD but I doubt it. I just hope he can put something out there good enough to fill some seats this year. Its crappy and kind of embarrassing to have record low crowds.

Last edited:
as an "insider" you should know this...why doesn't WVU have the players run the 40 yd dash?
Pffffft, I'm not an insider at all. 30 years ago I actually kind of was to an extent, but that is a very long time. I do know an insider though, although he usually doesnt say much at all. But really, I dont give a rats ass the answer to that question. Its hard to tell why Neal doesnt have them run the 40.

no it's not hard to tell..they have been running 40's for over 50 years..the science has evolved..we use GPS trackers on the athletes...WVU has a WR who has a top speed of a blistering 22 mph

?On that 60 yard TD,
did anyone care what was Garrett Greene's shuttle time was.

Was it 21 mph or 22 mph, overall?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know.

Ps.... Antonio Brown ran a 4.18/40, but "God's Gift to Football" PricRod
didn't play Antonio Brown because he couldn't block.

Last edited:
no it's not hard to tell..they have been running 40's for over 50 years..the science has evolved..we use GPS trackers on the athletes...WVU has a WR who has a top speed of a blistering 22 mph
Well if he can catch the ball well, he might turn out to be a good WR! I dont know if I can get used to knowing the mph of the players though, after only ever hearing "this guy runs a 4.3/40 lol. That's a tough ask lol. I am getting grumpy as I get older....

?How'd you "Yo Yo's",
get from a very detailed
Press Conference Description Above -
to a some strange Secret WVU Conspiracy Culture?

None of you all - Even
mentioned GG had a 60 TD Yard run (plus many other Runs
plus Multiple Pass Completions), for starters.

MAYBE Just maybe
you all should read the above summary to realize this is a West virginia msg board.

Can't Hang NB, today.

That was an excellent
Encouraging West Virginia Football
Positive Summary.
Greene is the more flamboyant, more explosive of the two but with his spectacular play you have to take the bad with the good.

At the same time Marchiol seems to be the more controlled, the safer of the two choices.

Do you go with the flair that the fans, perhaps, might be most impressed with or with the conservative, traditional approach.

Look at this way. You are coaching the Pro Bowl and wind up with two quarterbacks on your roster — the darting, daring, creative Pat Mahomes of Kansas City’s Chiefs or the more conservative Tom Brady of the New England Patriots et al.

Greene is the more flamboyant, more explosive of the two but with his spectacular play you have to take the bad with the good.

At the same time Marchiol seems to be the more controlled, the safer of the two choices.

Do you go with the flair that the fans, perhaps, might be most impressed with or with the conservative, traditional approach.

Look at this way. You are coaching the Pro Bowl and wind up with two quarterbacks on your roster — the darting, daring, creative Pat Mahomes of Kansas City’s Chiefs or the more conservative Tom Brady of the New England Patriots et al.

Maybe but how can you make such assumptions & comparing based on last seasons brief "snapshots"?

Let's make more responsible comparisons in September.

I kinda think Nico will be 1b...

Both will play

Last edited:
Maybe but how can you make such assumptions & comparing based on last seasons brief "snapshots"?

Let's make more responsible comparisons in September.

Just a Tuesday morning thought.

Based on what I saw 2 weeks ago -
GG will start
but I kinda think Nico will be 1b...
If Garrett named starter Nicco is gone.

Kinda of like
Scotty Mcbrien going to Maryland and kicking WVU ass twice.

If Garrett named starter Nicco is gone.

Kinda of like
Scotty Mcbrien going to Maryland and kicking WVU ass twice.
Nico is not Scottie "McTransfer"

Nehlen & PricRod Fuked Up with McTransfer - Rod in particular.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT