ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia forward Bridges, big Cottrell to the portal

Not going to lie, when the transfers first started I was on the bandwagon the players not being able to cut it it wasn’t big losses to the program.

Now it’s completely out of control. Something is apparent that something is not working out well for Mountaineer athletics.

Reactions: Rootmaster

That just about does it for Huggins in terms of having another good run. I doubt he has 4 years left in him to bring in a bunch of freshmen and develop them into an effective team. That is even with the huge assumption that he could keep them together for that long in the age of NILs and the transfer portal. Huggins doesn't have a good track record with one and done talents or transfers, so I do not see any reason to think he'll suddenly be good at it in the last few years he has left. I hope I am wrong, but it looks like another Sweet 16 run is a bridge too far in Huggins remaining time at WVU.

Reactions: LetsGoBrandon
Really, can they be considered big losses? We saw this team play. We know they're not guys you build a program around. If Huggs knows what he's doing, then surely they can be replaced with better players. You wouldn't have to look very far to find some. But it's time WVU starts cheating (it's legal now) and begins throwing cash around at players like drunken sailors on leave.

Really, can they be considered big losses? We saw this team play. We know they're not guys you build a program around. If Huggs knows what he's doing, then surely they can be replaced with better players. You wouldn't have to look very far to find some. But it's time WVU starts cheating (it's legal now) and begins throwing cash around at players like drunken sailors on leave.
Can you close your eyes and walk into 100 better players at an AAU camp this summer? Yes. Skill wise they're not a loss. But when the coach talks them up as centerpieces for next year, then yes, it's a loss.

You're kind of beating a dead horse with your "WVU should start cheating like everyone else" and "cheating is legal now." As though everyone else isn't going to be doing the same thing or WVU isn't already behind the 8 ball in regards to cheating since "everyone else is already doing it?"

Can you close your eyes and walk into 100 better players at an AAU camp this summer? Yes. Skill wise they're not a loss. But when the coach talks them up as centerpieces for next year, then yes, it's a loss.

Cottrell is the big loss. He has the potential to have a big improvement under Huggins like Alexander or Butler. Sure he could be another Esa Ahmed as well. Given Huggins history, he's far more likely to be succesful turning Cottrell into a focal point like Alexander, Butler, Jones, or Williams and patch working players around him that he is bringing in fresh to the program recruits/transfers and building a decent team off the bat.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Only the two highest-rated recruits on the roster, but nothing to see here...

See the source image

Cottrell is the big loss. He has the potential to have a big improvement under Huggins like Alexander or Butler. Sure he could be another Esa Ahmed as well. Given Huggins history, he's far more likely to be succesful turning Cottrell into a focal point like Alexander, Butler, Jones, or Williams and patch working players around him that he is bringing in fresh to the program recruits/transfers and building a decent team off the bat.
There will never be players staying 4 years at same school anymore. Redshirting will become a thing of the past.

There will never be players staying 4 years at same school anymore. Redshirting will become a thing of the past.

Which is why I fear Huggins doesn't have a good ending to his career. Maybe he can adapt, but I doubt the old dog masters the new normal in the age of NIL's and the transfer portal before the gas runs out of the tank.

Which is why I fear Huggins doesn't have a good ending to his career. Maybe he can adapt, but I doubt the old dog masters the new normal in the age of NIL's and the transfer portal before the gas runs out of the tank.
I'm thinking his final season is this next one. It will not matter who is coaching WVU they will have difficulty with NIL money in this state.

Reactions: 1duluth1
Eh...they're both one dimensional players who don't move the needle much. Both can shoot a 3 if they're set. But, what else? Can they dribble drive? Create their own shots? Score in the paint? Bang with the big boys in this league?

No.

Now, that being stated, the big question remains: Why? Was it the lack of talent or the lack of coaching?

If they transfer and have Oscar type seasons its safe to surmise its the coaching. If that's the case, then they all have to go, Hall-of-Famers or not. At least that's how I see it. If they have a season similar to what they had this year, well then its safe to say maybe Huggs and company can resurrect this program with the right pieces in place.

Guess we'll just have to wait to see.

Eh...they're both one dimensional players who don't move the needle much. Both can shoot a 3 if they're set. But, what else? Can they dribble drive? Create their own shots? Score in the paint? Bang with the big boys in this league?

No.

Now, that being stated, the big question remains: Why? Was it the lack of talent or the lack of coaching?

If they transfer and have Oscar type seasons its safe to surmise its the coaching. If that's the case, then they all have to go, Hall-of-Famers or not. At least that's how I see it. If they have a season similar to what they had this year, well then its safe to say maybe Huggs and company can resurrect this program with the right pieces in place.

Oscar had Oscar type seasons here. So no I don't expect them to do the same elsewhere.

I think what you are seeing is what most predicted to happen when the transfer portal opened- College Free Agency. And let's face it, only the really big boys will win this race. The rest are just playing for 10th place. And now with NIL deals, WVU has no real shot at any good players. They will go where they make the most money. You might get 2 years out of some kids and then they will be gone for the bigger bucks.

The college athletic scene is over for 90 percent of the schools. And let's be realistic, WVU sports is over. There is no money here for players compared to the bigger states and bigger schools.

I think what you are seeing is what most predicted to happen when the transfer portal opened- College Free Agency. And let's face it, only the really big boys will win this race. The rest are just playing for 10th place. And now with NIL deals, WVU has no real shot at any good players. They will go where they make the most money. You might get 2 years out of some kids and then they will be gone for the bigger bucks.

The college athletic scene is over for 90 percent of the schools. And let's be realistic, WVU sports is over. There is no money here for players compared to the bigger states and bigger schools.
Unfortunately things are trending that way.

Exactly but some want to keep telling people "don't look up" as the meteor comes crashing down on them.
Your boyfriend is not coming back.

You might want to look at the 3,000 in the portal and see if all of them are WVU.

Might as well fold up the tents and just be an educational institution.

Might as well fold up the tents and just be an educational institution.
Well I realize that this might collide with your understanding of college but guess what...educational institution IS the purpose of WVU. It is not there so that forum wannabe jocks have something to entertain themselves on a Saturday afternoon.

Well I realize that this might collide with your understanding of college but guess what...educational institution IS the purpose of WVU. It is not there so that forum wannabe jocks have something to entertain themselves on a Saturday afternoon.
koko didn't go to WVU, or any school for that matter. He doesn't know the real purpose of those old looking buildings that look like they are sort of arranged like little towns inside of other towns.

It's probably better if you recruit 4 Star guys who stay and end up being good players.

It's really strange how there have been so many of these guys come in that were highly scouted, highly recruited and highly praised only to have them end up not working hard.

A crazy person would almost consider this staff has swung and missed way to many times to be anything more than a mediocre program.

Must be something in the practice facility water that makes all these guys not work hard.

They obviously weren't misses, we can all agree this has nothing to do with Huggs and staff. At least.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL

No.

Weird how they were so important and everyone was really excited when they were recruited thought.

"WVU was a Final Four Team last year with a healthy Cottrell" probably not anyone on a WVU message board.

.Bodhi. and Root pretending they know me. It's so cute the jealousy that spews from them.

5 returning players which only one has any real experience at all. 4 incoming players right now. Leaves 4 more spots open. Interesting time indeed. if they pull a 500 season next year huggs will be coach of the year. Going to be an interesting summer.

Well there goes our 2 skinny big guys. We will miss their dominance under the basket, and their hair styles.

As far as college athletics goes, its a new era and a lot of us older fans dont have much place in it. They have replaced all of the good things we love so much, like team spirit, honor, commitment, discipline, etc and replaced it with money, weakness and lack of a lot of the good things. And the shitshow is just beginning...

Well there goes our 2 skinny big guys. We will miss their dominance under the basket, and their hair styles.

As far as college athletics goes, its a new era and a lot of us older fans dont have much place in it. They have replaced all of the good things we love so much, like team spirit, honor, commitment, discipline, etc and replaced it with money, weakness and lack of a lot of the good things. And the shitshow is just beginning...
Wow. You said a lot of things I've been feeling. 👍

Reactions: deedoubleyou
5 returning players which only one has any real experience at all. 4 incoming players right now. Leaves 4 more spots open. Interesting time indeed. if they pull a 500 season next year huggs will be coach of the year. Going to be an interesting summer.
So he's not going to bring in anymore players and just go with 8. Interesting.

The Oscar goes to the pros as Kentucky's season ends.
Does the NBA even care about rebounds anymore?

It may depend on how much he can make at Kentucky vs NBA. He is due to make millions upon millions in NIL money this coming season at Kentucky. I'm sure NBA will give him more. But he still doesn't have an outside game that is needed for the NBA these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT