ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia football closes strong, a good sign for the future

Got to feel good about where the Mountaineers are headed under a classy, level headed, guy like NB. My wife and I were talking to some friends who still live in Morgantown and strongly support WVU football over the weekend and we all agreed...we all were more satisfied with this year's 5-7 team than several under DH. Can't wait to see the final early signing class. Go Mountaineers!

Got to feel good about where the Mountaineers are headed under a classy, level headed, guy like NB. My wife and I were talking to some friends who still live in Morgantown and strongly support WVU football over the weekend and we all agreed...we all were more satisfied with this year's 5-7 team than several under DH. Can't wait to see the final early signing class. Go Mountaineers!

I won’t go that far as to say 5-7 was more satisfying. It is still a losing season any way you slice it. I was happy with the progress at the end of the season especially considering the player attrition.

I think 7-9 wins is doable next season but it would be nice to push the upper end of that range. I said between 5-7 wins this season and we hit the low end. I don’t want to always ride the low end of expectations.

Well for one thing...the team under nb actually got better in November unlike those under clueless dana.

Exactly.

What many of us were writing back in September - that the wins and losses won't matter, its the improvements that will or will not be made - that will define what kind of season Brown had in his first year.

I believe that everyone could see the progress being made. Some of it was great, some miniscule, but it was there if you looked closely enough. By the end of the year, we were winning some games and, if not, were in them until the end.

That's a long way considering how a lot of people were feeling after JMU and Missouri in the first few weeks of the year. Now, if this off-season can see even more of those improvements being made good things could be on the horizon for the old gold and blue.

I won’t go that far as to say 5-7 was more satisfying. It is still a losing season any way you slice it. I was happy with the progress at the end of the season especially considering the player attrition.

I think 7-9 wins is doable next season but it would be nice to push the upper end of that range. I said between 5-7 wins this season and we hit the low end. I don’t want to always ride the low end of expectations.

exactly the entire tone of my article is about how you'll never be happy with a losing season but you can see progress and feel good about the future.

Well for one thing...the team under nb actually got better in November unlike those under clueless dana.

I am curious what expectations were for Brown in year 2 at Troy after coming off a 4-win season. I imagine not huge, being Troy, but I wonder if people felt promise for the future after his first year. Like did the team look better at the end of year one?

I still don’t like having to rely on defense to win games, as we only broke 30 points about twice this year I think, but it is nice to have a defense that can win and isn’t a liability where you HAVE to score 40+ to win.

Reactions: Rootmaster
WVU was predicted to be 8th in the preseason Big 12 media poll and it ended up finishing 7th. They exceeded media expectations. My personal expectations were 3-5 so they were on the upper range of mine. Hopes are one thing and expectations are another.

I am curious what expectations were for Brown in year 2 at Troy after coming off a 4-win season. I imagine not huge, being Troy, but I wonder if people felt promise for the future after his first year. Like did the team look better at the end of year one?

I still don’t like having to rely on defense to win games, as we only broke 30 points about twice this year I think, but it is nice to have a defense that can win and isn’t a liability where you HAVE to score 40+ to win.

Defense wins games. You can't allow a team to score 50 on you when you score 49.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Not sure that anyone can claim winning just 2 of the last 8 with a 5 game losing streak was "finishing strong".

Some say "yeah but he won two of the four in November". But he LOST every game in October. A wash there.

Next year will be a critical year for Brown's tenure at WVU.

Not sure that anyone can claim winning just 2 of the last 8 with a 5 game losing streak was "finishing strong".

Some say "yeah but he won two of the four in November". But he LOST every game in October. A wash there.

Next year will be a critical year for Brown's tenure at WVU.

Suck it. Holgo love child

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Bucky has no Idea how long Brown has been given to clean up the mess left behind.

OL takes 2-3 years to develop.
Probably until 2021.

2021 WVU can go into that season and say they are a legit contender to play in the Big 12 conference game.

Not next year. You can't expect him to find 2-3 JUCO OL ready to play in the Big 12.

Previous staff

1st year in Big 12 5 straight losses (from October 13-Nov. 17) 2 of 3 in final 5 (oh shit sounds like the new staffs first year)
2nd season lost 2-6 in final 8 games
3rd season lost 4 of last 5
4th season 0-4 in October
5th season 3-4 in final 7
6th season 2-4 in final 6
7th season in 0-3 in final 3

WVU scored over 30 twice this year? Consider yourself fortunate. The Herd averaged about 25 per game this year. And that's including 56 vs. VMI.

OL takes 2-3 years to develop.
Probably until 2021.

2021 WVU can go into that season and say they are a legit contender to play in the Big 12 conference game.

Not next year. You can't expect him to find 2-3 JUCO OL ready to play in the Big 12.

A grad transfer or two could help. I think the line will be better next year, but it won’t be championship contending caliber, though I do think our run game will drastically improve since it can’t get much worse.

WVU scored over 30 twice this year? Consider yourself fortunate. The Herd averaged about 25 per game this year. And that's including 56 vs. VMI.

The Herd plays a high school level of football. They would have a tough time beating Kansas, if they could. Stay on your turd board.

A grad transfer or two could help. I think the line will be better next year, but it won’t be championship contending caliber, though I do think our run game will drastically improve since it can’t get much worse.

Ryan Johnson from Tennessee should be #1 target.

Anyone could step in and immediately do better.......uh, NOT

and now that he tanked— roll out the “cover stories” to pretend all is well! Yeah thats the ticket.

WVU football is now set back so far it may take years to get back

Anyone could step in and immediately do better.......uh, NOT

and now that he tanked— roll out the “cover stories” to pretend all is well! Yeah thats the ticket.

WVU football is now set back so far it may take years to get back
9556165.gif

No, the people supporting terrible coaching can suck it- you yammered for nearly a decade about the second most wins in WVU history until the people that made it happen left, now you can shut up while people talk about some of the worst football ever at WVU.

No, the people supporting terrible coaching can suck it- you yammered for nearly a decade about the second most wins in WVU history until the people that made it happen left, now you can shut up while people talk about some of the worst football ever at WVU.

Holgorsen had the second most wins in WVU history? Hm... hadn’t heard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT