ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia Fall Camp: Observations: 8-7

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--Lighter practice today with the full tackle scrimmage yesterday. Still, did get to see about an hour of practice and was able to definitely pull some stuff from the experience.

--Got to watch some of the quarterbacks throwing and wide receivers catching the ball today and like the way that Ryder Burton can throw the ball on the move. In terms of the wide receivers, Hudson Clement made some really nice grabs today albeit on air along with Traylon Ray as both had good body positioning and were able to get their feet down. Thought overall the quarterbacks threw the ball well overall and it's a pretty solid room right now with Garrett Greene and Nicco Marchiol at the top and then Burton and freshman Khalil Wilkins behind them.

--A lot of work on special teams today including some punting where Ollie Straw had a really nice punt that he pinned inside the 10-yard line with Aubrey Burks running down to field it.

--Players that were back returning kicks today in one drill of special teams were Traylon Ray, Hudson Clement, Clay Ash, Rodney Gallagher, Jaden Bray, Jahiem White and Murphy Clement. When it came to punt returning, the players that were getting work in one drill included Preston Fox, Rodney Gallagher, Dom Collins, Preston Fox and Tyler Evans.

--One drill was called the "Steeler drill," where the players lined up in the red zone and ran a play. The defense on the first time out there was
DL: Sean Martin, Fatorma Mulbah and Eddie Vesterinen.
LB: Josiah Trotter, Caden Biser, Tyrin Bradley
S: Aubrey Burks, Kekoura Tarnue, Jaheem Joseph
CB: Garnett Hollis, Ayden Garnes

The second unit that I caught out there was:
DL: Derek Berlitz, Hammond Russell TJ Jackson
LB: Ben Cutter, Reid Carrico, Ty French
S: Aden Tagaloa-Nelson, Josiah Jackson, Zae Jennings (I believe on the last)
CB: Dontez Fagan, Key'On Washington

--One offensive grouping was QB: Garrett Greene
RB: Jahiem White
WR: Hudson Clement, Traylon Ray, Preston Fox
TE: Kole Taylor
OL: Nick Malone, Tomas Rimac, Brandon Yates, JaQuay Hubbard, Xavier Bausley

--During that drill, Clement made a touchdown grab and it appeared that Marchiol was "sacked"

--The spur room is as good as I've seen it at least physically since Neal Brown has been here. Tyrin Bradley is a big body that can move, Ty French looks the part and then some and Obinna Onwuka has an excellent frame and moves very well. This is the best overall I've felt about that group since West Virginia brought the bandit position over and there is some depth, too.

--West Virginia also did some looks with the back half of the defense in 7-on-7 type of situations and the units were similar to the ones above with players mixing in and out.

--West Virginia also worked some triple option type of stuff with just the quarterback, running backs and wide receivers. It's something I've seen before but somebody I like to see with the ball in their hands is Ric'Darious Farmer. He has a lot of wiggle to him and while he isn't the biggest guy he is exciting.

--The Mountaineers also worked some different screens at the end with personnel. One thing that caught both mine and @Mog's attention is the alignment they had with the players and all the different ways they could utilize those screens with some bigger guys outside and smaller inside/vice versa. Continue to be impressed with the size and the way that Gregory Genross can move. Not sure if he's going to be a factor, but he looks like he could be.

--Only got to watch a couple snaps of team at the end but the grouping from the first unit I saw was.
DL: Sean Martin, Fatorma Mulbah and Eddie Vesterinen.
LB: Josiah Trotter, Caden Biser, Tyrin Bradley
S: Aubrey Burks, Kekoura Tarnue, Jaheem Joseph
CB: Garnett Hollis, Ayden Garnes

On offense, it was much of the same as well as they again worked the offensive line with Xavier Bausley in there.

--In terms of those players that have been injured Dom Collins moved into a green jersey, while both defensive lineman Asani Redwood and cornerback Jacolby Spells remained in green.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News