ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia Fall Camp Observations: 8-14

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--Light work day today, but it was beautiful out there with some sunshine and good temperatures. Still, I did think there was some good energy despite it being a light day and nearing the end of fall camp. That was evident in team drills, when Ben Cutter tackled the doughnut so physically that it actually knocked down Jeff Koonz and he got up and was excited and congratulated him. We watched seven periods of practice today and here is what I was able to observe.

--West Virginia opened practice with the usual warm up routine and the same players were snapping led by Brandon Yates and Landen Livingston along with several others. And the wide receivers and quarterbacks were working on different routes in the red zone.

--West Virginia worked on punt protection and the shields were Nick Krahe/Tyrin Bradley and then Nick Malone/Josiah Trotter in the groups that I watched. West Virginia again was working different areas all over the field with plenty of focus on positional drills and fundamentals.

--One thing that was interesting to me today is at the start of period five, Rodney Gallagher did go over and work with the defensive backs. I hadn't noticed that in anything open this fall camp if it had occurred previously but it did catch my attention today.

--West Virginia ran some screen drills again mixing and matching the personnel with the offensive line. They ran them to receivers, tight ends and with one offensive line being the same as usual LT: Wyatt Milum, LG Tomas Rimac, C: Brandon Yates, RG: Ja'Quay Hubbard and RT: Nick Malone. The second team group working in this, which they rotated after each play, was LT: Johnny Williams, LG: Sully Weidman, C: Landen Livingston, RG: Bryce Biggs and RT: Xavier Bausley. I will say that Jaden Bray just looks so smooth every time I watch these drills but they used a lot of different skill personnel groupings. I will say this is the only portion of practice where I saw some drops and misfires.

--The Mountaineers also did more like a 7-on-7 deal with just an offensive center and Preston Fox had a really nice touchdown catch.

--We are instructed not to discuss formations, etc, but West Virginia did have a period of team today to close out the open portion. I was at one of end of the field and was able to gather up the groupings there with the first unit, although there was another working at the same time at the other end and they would rotate.

--It's grouping I charted on offense was QB: Garrett Greene, RB Jahiem White, WR: Hudson Clement, WR: Rodney Gallagher, WR: Preston Fox, TE: Kole Taylor and the same offensive line as above.

The defense consisted of:
DL: Eddie Vesterinen, Fatorma Mulbah, Asani Redwood
LB: Josiah Trotter, Trey Lathan, Tyrin Bradley
S: Aubrey Burks, Jaheem Joseph, Kekoura Tarnue
CB: Garnett Hollis, Ayden Garnes

--There were other groups going but that's the one I was able to get down.

--On the injury front, I still didn't see Anthony Wilson who has been out but is expected to be close to returning. On the plus side, players that were previously sporting green were full go today in defensive lineman Asani Redwood and cornerback Jacolby Spells. LB Rickey Williams remained in red and another player that I couldn't identify was in red.

--There were quite a few guest in attendance today such as the Los Angeles Charges and singer Charles Wesley Godwin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News