ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia can and should recruit at a top Level

Nov 15, 2017
If you look at the states that surround WV you have PA, Ohio, VA, Maryland and you can put NJ in there as well.
In these states this year you have 3 5 star recruits and over 40 4 star recruits.

I think Maryland should be the first state that West Virginia looks to establish a strong recruiting footprint because they have the weakest football program.

From a historic perspective when West Virgina was real good in the 1980's they would recruit Maryland heavy.
Especially with the 2020 game coming up.
After Maryland then Western PA. PItt is trash and should be treated as a group of 5 school.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'd like Holgorsen & his staff to recruit more in central and eastern pa as well. The Harrisburg area has it's share of legit D1 propects (including the no. 1 recruit in the state) however, WVU is no where to be found. Pitt, PSU, Temple, Md., UConn & all FCS powers recruit here but WVU seems to dislike this this area for some reason???

Problem is that other schools outside of the wvu footprint are also recruiting heavily in PA, Maryland, and Jersey.

WV competes with every dadgum college in the nation for the stars. Clem(p)son is the only team that goes out snatches the big time recruit away from the likes of Florida State, Georgia, etc. Clem(p)son somehow has the cash to throw at their program. That's how it's done my friend(s). Cash and carry! Warez

Reactions: Airport
If you look at the states that surround WV you have PA, Ohio, VA, Maryland and you can put NJ in there as well.
In these states this year you have 3 5 star recruits and over 40 4 star recruits.

I think Maryland should be the first state that West Virginia looks to establish a strong recruiting footprint because they have the weakest football program.

From a historic perspective when West Virgina was real good in the 1980's they would recruit Maryland heavy.
Especially with the 2020 game coming up.
After Maryland then Western PA. PItt is trash and should be treated as a group of 5 school.

Recruiting the state of Maryland
Ohio State
Maryland (they play Big 10 travel is close)
Michigan
PSU
WVU (harder to recruit top players the travel is long distance for family)
VT

In the 80's WVU recruited Florida and Ohio, some Maryland and Western PA.. Picking up the scraps of 3 star players.

Good kids like to play for their home school. Unless a name team comes knocking.

Shake up your staff and bring in a guy with solid recruiting ties. Hard to go into areas and recruit when you don’t have the skinny on players and teams.

*Breaking News*

WVU set to sign top 20 recruiting class.

When asked about this Dana Holgorsen replied "uh hum, ya well ya know the fans said we needed to recruit at a high level and we thought you know they are right, so we did"

*Breaking News*

WVU set to sign top 20 recruiting class.

When asked about this Dana Holgorsen replied "uh hum, ya well ya know the fans said we needed to recruit at a high level and we thought you know they are right, so we did"

But TCU, Texas and Oklahoma are ahead of WVU.
Yes it is the best class but it still needs to be better

Agreed. I'd like Holgorsen & his staff to recruit more in central and eastern pa as well. The Harrisburg area has it's share of legit D1 propects (including the no. 1 recruit in the state) however, WVU is no where to be found. Pitt, PSU, Temple, Md., UConn & all FCS powers recruit here but WVU seems to dislike this this area for some reason???

The real list is Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and NOtre Dame. The second tier teams are Pitt, Temple, UConn and Rutgers.

YOU decide where WVU fits in.

Reactions: jtturner09
The real list is Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and NOtre Dame. The second tier teams are Pitt, Temple, UConn and Rutgers.

YOU decide where WVU fits in.

Maryland who has half the history of WVU is outrecruiting the Mountaineers.
Maryland could have a top 10 class this year

You serious Clark? I think its pretty damn impressive to sign a top 20 class when the state you play in produces 3 or 4 division 1 players a year. That means you are ALWAYS going into other teams backyard to swipe away recruits... not to mention other big time schools doing the same.
How many other schools in the top 50 have a population as small as WV? Yet right now (w 3 from texas and 3 from florida ahead of us) we are ahead of 38 others states top college.
Does anyone other than me realize how impressive it is to have the year in and year out success that WVU sports have when compared with other schools that have much more right in front of them? Call it accepting mediocrity or whatever. I say we have done an amazing job.
We will never have a top 10 recruiting class on a regular basis. If we can average top 25 over time that is pretty impressive.

Reactions: jtturner09 and Phil
You serious Clark? I think its pretty damn impressive to sign a top 20 class when the state you play in produces 3 or 4 division 1 players a year. That means you are ALWAYS going into other teams backyard to swipe away recruits... not to mention other big time schools doing the same.
How many other schools in the top 50 have a population as small as WV? Yet right now (w 3 from texas and 3 from florida ahead of us) we are ahead of 38 others states top college.
Does anyone other than me realize how impressive it is to have the year in and year out success that WVU sports have when compared with other schools that have much more right in front of them? Call it accepting mediocrity or whatever. I say we have done an amazing job.
We will never have a top 10 recruiting class on a regular basis. If we can average top 25 over time that is pretty impressive.

States with populations under 4 million?
Oklahoma
Miss State
Could be more but those are off of the top of my head
Oregon is right at 4 million as well

Having those metro areas close has done little for the State of West Virginia. In regards to the way your thinking slick.

What are you speaking about?
Jeff Hostetler
Marc Bulger
Major Harris
I can go on and on about the great WVU players who came out of PA

No you are saying that West Virginia shouldn't consider themselves to be the big team in Pittsburgh.
I can only think of two other fanbases who would not want to happen and neither are West Virginia

Where did I say that I hoped Pitt would recruit better than us man? I said every surrounding state has big div 1 schools that recruit there also. I also said that even so, we still go into some of their backyards and out recruit them. Did you even read my original post?
I was bragging about our program and defending what a good job we do despite our states small population. Not sure what you think you read.

Where did I say that I hoped Pitt would recruit better than us man? I said every surrounding state has big div 1 schools that recruit there also. I also said that even so, we still go into some of their backyards and out recruit them. Did you even read my original post?
I was bragging about our program and defending what a good job we do despite our states small population. Not sure what you think you read.

You are giving ownership of Western PA to PItt.

PItt is trash. It is pretty much on the level of Rutgers.
You think anyone calls New Jersey Rutgers' Backyard. They go into New Jersey and tell Rutgers to go sit in the corner and run off with all the recruits.
Pittsburgh is the same. That should be West Virginia's Backyard

You are giving ownership of Western PA to PItt.

PItt is trash. It is pretty much on the level of Rutgers.
You think anyone calls New Jersey Rutgers' Backyard. They go into New Jersey and tell Rutgers to go sit in the corner and run off with all the recruits.
Pittsburgh is the same. That should be West Virginia's Backyard

Ok man. First I never said that. You inferred that... which miscommunication happens. Second, I clarified that I didnt say that and you still chose to tell me what I was saying. So then I cant help you.
Oh wait... I see what you're saying. Geographic location. If its another state, it's "their state". Our state is WV. Pennsylvania is NOT our state. We may want to claim cities in other states, but geographically it isnt within our border.

Last edited:
Ok man. First I never said that. You inferred that... which miscommunication happens. Second, I clarified that I didnt say that and you still chose to tell me what I was saying. So then I cant help you.
Oh wait... I see what you're saying. Geographic location. If its another state, it's "their state". Our state is WV. Pennsylvania is NOT our state. We may want to claim cities in other states, but geographically it isnt within our border.

It is no one's recruiting area because PItt is trash now.
You can't show any respect for that program anymore.

Texas #5 (it's Texas)
OU #8 (it's OU)
TCU #16 (they recruit what Texas doesn't get)
WVU #18 (excellent for a small state of 1.8 million)

There are 3,709 high schools in Texas, made up of 3,263 public schools and 446 private schools. Texas ranks as the 2nd state in terms of student enrollment and 2nd in terms of total number of schools.

There are 646 high schools in Oklahoma, made up of 577 public schools and 69 private schools. Oklahoma ranks as the 27th state in terms of student enrollment and 26th in terms of total number of schools. OU borders the state of Texas.

There are 262 high schools in West Virginia, made up of 195 public schools and 67 private schools. West Virginia ranks as the 38th state in terms of student enrollment and 37th in terms of total number of schools.

Hmmmm, let's see, why is Texas, TCU ranked so high in recruiting? Has me stumped. You have any ideas?

Reactions: WVUFanForever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT