ADVERTISEMENT

Weirdest play

skygusty

All-Conference
May 14, 2003
Watching a recording, we have run it twice. Number 14, I think it is Kevin Bush comes running toward the quarterback from a WR position only to line up behind McCoy who gets the ball. He can't block from there, if it is a reverse threat, he is already 9 yards behind the line of scrimmage, he can't block, and his motion only brings his defender in to do run support. I think that is one play that is going nowhere.

Aw, two plays later, Bush reverses direction and takes a pitch from Kendall for a decent gain. Still a lot of movement. I don't think I'm a fan.

Watching a recording, we have run it twice. Number 14, I think it is Kevin Bush comes running toward the quarterback from a WR position only to line up behind McCoy who gets the ball. He can't block from there, if it is a reverse threat, he is already 9 yards behind the line of scrimmage, he can't block, and his motion only brings his defender in to do run support. I think that is one play that is going nowhere.
Yeah I thought that was a waste of a body and reminiscent of Stews Mullen. Guess it was a set up for toss to Bush but seems like a lot of investment for that

Saw LSU do the same thing and it worked. Of course they have an OL and good blockers.

Doesn't matter where or how the run is but can you block the guy in front of you. So far we can't.

We ran that play a lot with other players than Bush. Most times the guy is just in the backfield, not involved and we are playing 10 versus 11. Actually most of our offensive plays seem like we only have 10 guys on the field, come to think of it.

I believe the best chance of running success is to line up in the I and run leads. That's because that would give our line the best chance at blocking it because they have shown thus far the inability to sustain a block for any length of time.

But, that isn't Brown's system. He'd basically be trading off a little short term gain for long term stability. I understand that. They just have to get a little better each week in the system they are in now.

Also, to add, the run game could be better if the QB was even a small threat to keep. Right now, no team is going to respect Kendall as a run threat and can sell out on the run.

The question is: Is the reason why Kendall doesn't keep because he's too slow/bad/etc. at it or is it due to the distrust Brown has for Kendall's backups and he doesn't want to put Kendall into any kind of position of getting hurt?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT