ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend predictions?

amath13

Senior
Mar 5, 2012
Oklahoma at TCU +6

Man this is a tough one to pick. Oklahoma has been living dangerously the last couple of weeks & TCU probably has the best defense in the league. I wonder if the Gary Patterson rumors will cause any distractions though. I can't pick against Oklahoma since the Big 12 title is still on the line, but I think TCU beats the spread.

Oklahoma 38 TCU 35

Oklahoma State at Baylor +5

People who like offense need to watch this one. I don't think it will end up 70-63 like the game we saw in Morgantown earlier this season, but I'd still take the over (87.5 really????
laugh.r191677.gif
). I'm still shocked that Baylor trucked Kansas State, so this one is hard to pick as well. Prior to the KSU game I would have definitely picked OSU in this game. And then they followed it up with a win over Texas Tech in Arlington. I think I'll still stick with the Cowboys though in a close one.

Oklahoma State 52 Baylor 45

Kansas at West Virginia -20

I honestly am not 100% sure how this one is going to go (of course I'm never 100% sure about predictions anyway). A few weeks ago I was convinced that the Jayhawks were going to break their losing streak against us. They have played some teams tough (TCU, OSU, Texas) and they've been preparing for this game for 2 weeks. I think it all depends on whether Geno & the offense come to play. If they do, I don't see Kansas keeping up. They are only averaging 19 points per game. I think WVU wins, but Kansas will probably beat the spread.

WVU 35 Kansas 21

Texas at Kansas State -10.5

Obviously this is the game of the day/night. As I've stated before, I do not understand how Texas can be so far down with that much talent. It is mind boggling to me. And I'm also not sure where Kansas State is at after losing their hopes of going to the national title with that devastating loss to Baylor. Snyder is a fantastic coach though & if anyone can get them back up he can. Especially since they still have a Big 12 title & BCS bowl opportunity on the line. I think Kansas State covers in this one & wins the Big 12 title.

Kansas State 34 Texas 17

Kansas at West Virginia -20

I honestly am not 100% sure how this one is going to go (of course I'm never 100% sure about predictions anyway). A few weeks ago I was convinced that the Jayhawks were going to break their losing streak against us. They have played some teams tough (TCU, OSU, Texas) and they've been preparing for this game for 2 weeks. I think it all depends on whether Geno & the offense come to play. If they do, I don't see Kansas keeping up. They are only averaging 19 points per game. I think WVU wins, but Kansas will probably beat the spread.

WVU 35 Kansas 21
You will score more than 35. Double your score and leave KU's the same.

70-21

TCU has played well against Oklahoma in the past. Their record against the other four Air Raid offenses is a mixed bag. They played well defensively against Baylor and West Virginia, but not so great against Tech and OSU. Further, they've struggled offsensivly against the league's better defenses (Iowa State, OSU, Kansas State). TCU's defense is fantastic against the run, but only solid against the pass. Oklahoma won't score 50 against them, but I think they'll top 30, and that should be enough.

Oklahoma - 34, TCU - 20

I'll be at the OSU-Baylor game tomorrow. I've probably been to a dozen OSU-Baylor games since 1997, and I've never left upset. Their offense does worry me, especially the way Seastrunk has changed their ground game since he's become a reguler the last four weeks. That said, I predicted they'd score well (I said 35) against Kansas State because of a huge edge in speed on offense and Briles' ability to leverage advantages like that. They won't have that edge on the Cowboys. Gilbert and Brown can run with Williams and Reese. I won't be surprised of they have a big day on offense tomorrow, but I also wouldn't be surprised if my Cowboys hold them to 24 or less. They haven't scored in the first half against OSU since 2008, and that was the only time they scored that day. I don't think they have much chance of holding the Cowboys under 45, so Baylor has little margin for error, and Florence and company need their A-game just to stay in it.

Oklahoma State - 52, Baylor - 27

Kansas is the worst team in the Big 12, and West Virginia has one of the league's better offenes. Kansas does have a decent ground game, but that's the one area WVU defends well. If this was in Lawrence I'd give then half a chance, but it's on the road against a team that is probably still hungry after such a long mid season drought. The close games with Tecas and OSU were in Kansas under adverse weather conditions, and the close game in Lubbock against a Tech squad reeling after humiliation by Kansas State that doesn't have a great rush defense.

West Virginia - 55, Kansas - 13

Kansas State is playing for the BCS and the conference title, at home, against the name school that Snyder has owned. Texas is playing for a Cotton Bowl appearance against probably Texas A&M or LSU, two teams they want no part of, on the road against a team that will wear them out physically with distractions about their coach's future and the sure knowledge that nothing can truely salvage this season and a win helps their most bitter rival as much them.

Kansas State - 28, Texas - 20

I'll go with each of the underdogs to cover except Baylor. None of them wins, however.

Well I was 1-3 ATS. Did go 3-1 SU, but that's not really that difficult. Completely whiffed on the OSU game. Other than the WVU game, the only game I got to watch was the KSU/Texas game. That was a pretty decent game until Texas began to choke. Also, other than the national title game, KSU/Oregon is the ONLY good game in the BCS. There are some real clunkers this season. That FSU/NIU game might be the worst BCS game ever.

Felt the same way about the BCS games last year. Fiesta was the only one i wanted to watch. Once again a team is in that shouldnt be there. VT should not have been in the sugar last year and NIU should not be in this year. OU got screwed by the rules.

I disagree with you somewhat on the BCS games...

Everybody agrees the best one by far is the Fiesta.

Where I disagree is this default notion every year that just because a matchup is the national championship game, that automatically makes it good. Last year, anybody with common sense knew the LSU/Alabama rematch would be terrible--and it was. This year, what the hell reason would I have to be interested in a ND/Alabama game? The 2 programs with the most national titles get to win another? Wheeeeee! That's like going to Vegas and rooting for the house.

For that matter, I don't agree that the Orange Bowl is a total dog. Curiosity alone makes that a far more appealing option than the Sugar Bowl, and the initial spreads back me up on this. Given how lackluster FSU was against Georgia Tech and the overall letdown factor, I wouldn't rule out NIU giving them a stiffer test than you might expect at first glance.

Re: I disagree with you somewhat on the BCS games...

Originally posted by GoWVU:
Everybody agrees the best one by far is the Fiesta.

Where I disagree is this default notion every year that just because a matchup is the national championship game, that automatically makes it good. Last year, anybody with common sense knew the LSU/Alabama rematch would be terrible--and it was. This year, what the hell reason would I have to be interested in a ND/Alabama game? The 2 programs with the most national titles get to win another? Wheeeeee! That's like going to Vegas and rooting for the house.

For that matter, I don't agree that the Orange Bowl is a total dog. Curiosity alone makes that a far more appealing option than the Sugar Bowl, and the initial spreads back me up on this. Given how lackluster FSU was against Georgia Tech and the overall letdown factor, I wouldn't rule out NIU giving them a stiffer test than you might expect at first glance.
Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that NIU shouldn't be there in the first place. They don't deserve it. Look at their schedule. Their loss was to an Iowa team that finished 4-8 & only 2 wins in the B1G. And personally I have no interest in that game whatsoever. This is actually one time I won't be rooting for the underdog either because they don't belong in that game.

That's all the more reason you ought to be rooting for them...

If you don't think NIU belongs, wouldn't you have even more reason to be rooting for them against the ACC champ? That sure as hell works for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT